• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firing on all cylinders?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Probably needs no explanation to many, but basically means that an engine is working as it should, rather than one or more cylinders having problems.

So, if we use this analogy for our being, how do you think you are doing in general. I am sure that, like many, I will have been firing on rather less than the full functionality of my V12 engine (of course :D, that being the Ferrari I desire but will never own). I would also liken this to the flight envelope, a term that is used in aerospace and aeronautics, to basically mean the performance characteristics of a particular vehicle. How do we even measure what we might never have even experienced? That is, if one has never 'pushed the envelope' to see if our capabilities can be improved, how would we ever know?

As mentioned elsewhere, and in my journal, I am pretty sure that apart from the obvious depression and possible social anxiety/phobia that I seemed to suffer from for many years, I do regard myself as having had a personality disorder too. None of which really helped me to attain what I might have been capable of, although I seemed to have managed an awful lot despite this.

Can any relate to this?

Shaul

Premium Member
What about people that have Wankel engines? Then there are those strange people that have electric motors. They are definitely not running on any cylinders.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
You have an interesting journal. I agree with some of your pet peeves especially #11 web pages auto updating.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's worth celebrating.

True, but many of my adventures could have been more enjoyable I suspect had I been more in tune with my friends at the time. But physical exertion often does this I have found. I can remember feeling a lot closer to some of my mates when I was pushed to the limit on a few occasions - the Skye Ridge being one and some rowing against a tide to get back to our yacht being another. o_O :D

Edit: I know that endorphins are released in such activities but it seems that oxytocin too was the main thing making me feel much closer to others and I don't know why that would have been so.

Last edited: