• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding Myself..

Melcat

Hey everyone! First I'd like to introduce myself, I'm entirely new to religion. My parents led to me discover my own faith rather than push theirs on mine, which leads me to be confused. I've experienced Christianity with parts of my family, but also Catholicism with my other half and also my boyfriends family. I'm just trying to find my own way with religion and see if their is a God for me. I believe in science, but cannot science and religion exist in the same realm? I believe so. I did have a rather odd experience where I thought a guardian angel protected me. I was driving in a rather CONFUSING construction road, where every lane was coned. I was looking at my phone (foolishly) and while I was looking at my phone, my foot automatically hit the brake and I suddenly looked and saw a car right in front of me. We could have gone head to head. It was as if me braking surprised me, it felt involuntarily. ON TO THE IMPORTANT THINGS, I've been in a really long relationship and things have gone to the worse, I'm questioning if God is giving his chosen the hardest challenges he can give to make them stronger? I've done research about predestination and such, which scares me to bits. My sister recently found God, and she believes that every tough situation and I mean TOUGH, in everyones own words, God will give tough situations to those to make stronger or bring them closer to God sooner. Someone please help? I'm very lost religiously and I've experienced such quite odd events that leads me to believe and see that He is there.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Welcome to the Forum, Melcat. I hope you like it here.

Two thoughts for you. First, check out the Eastern religions. Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism.

Second, check out the Mysticism Forum here regarding your strange experiences. Or the Paranormal forum.

All the best

Phil

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Someone please help? I'm very lost religiously and I've experienced such quite odd events that leads me to believe and see that He is there.

Best helper is God. Just ask Him will do the trick in my experience. You seem not lost writing "I've experienced such quite odd events that leads me to believe and see that He is there"

Very good that your parents let you discover your own faith. You have a clean slate. I let you fill it in yourself. My parents did the same. I did not ask others. Just read scriptures

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hey everyone! First I'd like to introduce myself, I'm entirely new to religion. My parents led to me discover my own faith rather than push theirs on mine, which leads me to be confused. I've experienced Christianity with parts of my family, but also Catholicism with my other half and also my boyfriends family. I'm just trying to find my own way with religion and see if their is a God for me. I believe in science, but cannot science and religion exist in the same realm? I believe so. I did have a rather odd experience where I thought a guardian angel protected me. I was driving in a rather CONFUSING construction road, where every lane was coned. I was looking at my phone (foolishly) and while I was looking at my phone, my foot automatically hit the brake and I suddenly looked and saw a car right in front of me. We could have gone head to head. It was as if me braking surprised me, it felt involuntarily. ON TO THE IMPORTANT THINGS, I've been in a really long relationship and things have gone to the worse, I'm questioning if God is giving his chosen the hardest challenges he can give to make them stronger? I've done research about predestination and such, which scares me to bits. My sister recently found God, and she believes that every tough situation and I mean TOUGH, in everyones own words, God will give tough situations to those to make stronger or bring them closer to God sooner. Someone please help? I'm very lost religiously and I've experienced such quite odd events that leads me to believe and see that He is there.

Hmm. Some questions

What do you mean by science?

Ive had experiences to; but, I dont correlate it to god. I think many people have experiences and it depends on what they believe is how they see meaning for it in and of itself. Some people say god (regardless the religion), some the gods, some coincedence, and some magic, for lack of better words.

How do you define god and, if not for your family and sister, how did you conclude that it could be god and not anything or anyone else?

As for christianity, have you read the bible before?

Many christians solve their confusion by looking in the bible. I personally believe "god" answers on his own (not god, creator, person of scripture just making it simple) and trying not to see answers as only unique events can help too. Gratitude and meditation can help. It doesnt need to be a voice in your ear or flying angels. Just life.

Maybe ask your sister to help you a bit?

Catholic Churches have good programs and ways they can help practitioners. I went to a catholic retreat a couple years ago (I was catholic for four years of my adult life; I wasnt around religions either) and that helped a lot. Its called DeColores; its worldwide.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

WELCOME!

Just wanted to say the Catholic church is part of Christianity.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hi @Melcat...welcome to RF.
love0085.gif

The best way to find things out is to ask questions. Analyze the answers, compare the scriptures and see how well they sit in your heart .....and don't be afraid to ask all the hard ones. There should be no questions off limits.

BTW...On the subject of predestination...don't worry. If God had predestined all our lives, he would not have given us free will. If your life is already mapped out, then you have no choices......the Bible is full of choices.
happy0062.gif

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey everyone! First I'd like to introduce myself, I'm entirely new to religion. My parents led to me discover my own faith rather than push theirs on mine, which leads me to be confused. I've experienced Christianity with parts of my family, but also Catholicism with my other half and also my boyfriends family. I'm just trying to find my own way with religion and see if their is a God for me.
We are not allowed to preach here. What you should do is go into the religion dir areas and look for the sticky posts. They will broadly attempt to introduce you to the religions.

I believe in science, but cannot science and religion exist in the same realm? I believe so.
I dont know your gender, but your experience makes you a 'Renaissance man' figuratively. You are experiencing a kind of decision overload. This can cause you to doubt yourself instead of encouraging you. I will tell you some practical opinions I have for seekers: #1 Know how much emotional flack you can handle before you decide to commit. Religions do not fix your problems, so be prepared to continue handling your own problems. #2 Make friends, but avoid emotional choices unless you have mentally assented beforehand - no secret societies. #3 Cross bridges without burning them until you know that you have found something that you can stay sane in. To be faithful and make it through tough times you have to be able to be happy. For example locking yourself into a dark cave for a year could be true religion and yet not something you can do. You have to ask yourself "Can I really do this?" If the answer is no then dont go.

I did have a rather odd experience where I thought a guardian angel protected me. I was driving in a rather CONFUSING construction road, where every lane was coned. I was looking at my phone (foolishly) and while I was looking at my phone, my foot automatically hit the brake and I suddenly looked and saw a car right in front of me. We could have gone head to head. It was as if me braking surprised me, it felt involuntarily.
I have had some strange experiences, too. I think most people do. The world may or may not be what it seems, but mostly it seems like it is.

ON TO THE IMPORTANT THINGS, I've been in a really long relationship and things have gone to the worse, I'm questioning if God is giving his chosen the hardest challenges he can give to make them stronger? I
My personal opinion is no.

I've done research about predestination and such, which scares me to bits. My sister recently found God, and she believes that every tough situation and I mean TOUGH, in everyones own words, God will give tough situations to those to make stronger or bring them closer to God sooner. Someone please help? I'm very lost religiously and I've experienced such quite odd events that leads me to believe and see that He is there.
I also have a sister with very strong beliefs of similar persuasion. The trouble is that sometimes bad things happen that are not good for us. You can and should look at them in a positive light. Death for example may help flowers grow, but its not good for me. A broken arm might save a life, but that break still hurts. Its not good for arms to break. Thats what I think.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First, welcome to RF. Here are some thoughts about some of the questions you asked.

cannot science and religion exist in the same realm?

Yes. I don't accept any doctrine that does not accept science.

me braking surprised me, it felt involuntarily.

To me that's a flash of intuition. Where that came from, I don't know.

I'm questioning if God is giving his chosen the hardest challenges he can give to make them stronger?

I start with questions like this by putting them in the ordinary world. If I want to be a gymnast, I need to train hard and be challenged to do my utmost, for example. In every sphere of ordinary life, we are challenged from time-to-time to do our best and improve.

The question about God leads me to wonder how you conceptualize God? Many put God outside themselves. Some see God inside themselves. Others see God in nature. And some see God within and without.

Also, from a reincarnational perspective, you could have chosen to be born with the mission to challenge yourself.

So I guess my perspective is that you've asked a very fundamental question with many possible answers.