• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding common ground

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This was useful. Thanks.

What is the difference between Jesus, angels and humans if they all are begotten by God and are the same species as God? Age of creation?
Well, as I said in a previous post, Jesus Christ was both "God" (in His own right) and "with God" (i.e. with God the Father) from before the foundation of the world. He was instrumental in the Creation of our Universe and was the only one of God's children who was absolutely within any sin whatsoever, and consequently in a position of being able to atone for our sins. During His lifetime, He condescended to take on a mortal body, with its inherent defects, including being subject to pain, illness and death, but even as He walked among men, He retained His divine power to perform miracles, including controlling the elements and even raising the dead. This is something no other human could even come close to doing. We Latter-day Saints believe that God has given each of the the potential to someday be like Him and like His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. That doesn't mean we think it's going to be any kind of an automatic process, or even something that most of us will ever attain. But we were all born with that potential. We see angels as being, in form, like human beings. In other words, they don't have wings. ;) They are essentially messengers for the Lord, and are, like the rest of us, His offspring. They may be living in Heaven with God, in a pre-mortal state or they may have lived as mortals and are now resurrected beings. They are not, however, a different species from us.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I suspect the most fundamentally common aspect of religions is the notion (in some form or other and invariably mistaken in my opinion) of salvation - the idea that there is something innately wrong with humans that we need to be "saved" or "healed" from before we reach the "blessed" condition that is/was meant for us.

I don't agree with this - but that does seem to be the common ground among the religions that I am aware of.

Most religions think that way

My religion not. We are all divine, we just need to remember. No need to be saved/healed by an outside something.

siti

The fact that *I* screw up and walk away from God is what gets *me* being separated from God. Christ & His atonement are the way back.
Right - so there is something wrong with *you* then - and, according to your previous post there is something wrong with *every adult* that prevents them - absent the salvation of "Christ & His atonement" - entering the "Kingdom of God".

I am not disputing with you about differences in doctrine - I am simply trying to point out that despite the wide differences in doctrinal details - the key aim of religion seems to be to reconcile "fallen" humans with the greater reality they sometimes refer to as "God". There is something "wrong" with "flesh and blood" humans that must be corrected by "atonement" or "detachment" or whatever...before they can reach the ultimate "goal" of blessedness and unity.

That seems to me to be about the most common thread. And I think it is important because if it is right - who is to say there isn't more than one path to salvation?

And if its wrong, perhaps they're all wrong and we'd be better off without religion altogether (clearly that critical analysis is not the purpose of this thread - but the "common ground" question is certainly a key thing to get clarity on before we can make such and analysis).

Jane.Doe

Right - so there is something wrong with *you* then
I *CHOOSE* to *DO* something wrong and CHOOSE to talk away from God. My choice, my consequence.

That's very different than viewing something like a manufcaturing defect. HUGE difference there.

siti

I *CHOOSE* to *DO* something wrong and CHOOSE to talk away from God. My choice, my consequence.

That's very different than viewing something like a manufcaturing defect. HUGE difference there.
Well this isn't really a debate forum so I'll just settle for saying that wasn't my point (and I will not ask "what the heck is wrong with *every adult* that they all *CHOOSE* to *DO* something wrong and still expect God to save them" - oops - I've inadvertently asked it anyway).

But my point was that most of the major religions (at least) have a doctrine (or teaching or whatever you want to call it) of salvation (or something similar) and most recommend a path (of some kind) by which it can be attained. And "salvation" when it has been attained - seems to be imagined (perhaps) as a "unity" or "reconciliation" with the "greater reality" (aka - for some at least - "God").

I really don't want to get any further bogged down in the minutiae of sectarian doctrinal differences in this thread - and trust me - you really don't want me to start ripping into Mormon theology or scripture. I am genuinely here (in a comparative religion discussion) to learn about this whole "religion" thing - not the detailed doctrines of particular organizations.

Jane.Doe

I am genuinely here (in a comparative religion discussion) to learn about this whole "religion" thing - not the detailed doctrines of particular organizations.
Ok. :)

Sorry if I got too specific there. I've dealt with a lot of folks who do believe manufacturing-defect theology... and let's just say I *passionately* disagree with it. Sorry to get all soap-boxy there on you.

Ellen Brown

My carnality is because *I* screw up, I'm petty, I got a temper, etc. Not because someone else smeared me.

I think that in at least some respects, Mormonism is more charitable than most other religions about sin, especially Eve's. There are many areas in the NT where if we accept Jesus the Christ, we are dead to sin. It is just wrong that certain sectors try to take that away. Contriteness and repentance leading to forgiveness, seems to be more from the Catholic culture, but there is good scriptural support for it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Gee, I'm just trying to figure out how to get two Jews to agree on something, and you want to talk about commonalities between entire religions? Oy vey!

LOL

How about let's start with the idea that there is more to things than the material world. As the Tao te Ching says, "Something there is," and for lack of a better word we call it God, the Divine, Tao, the Great Spirit, Providence, or any other term you wish to apply to it. Furthermore, our lives are accountable -- we are to to do good, to walk in beauty, to live virtuously, to stay on the derech, to walk in God's ways. "When all is said and done, one thing remains: fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13

BTW Katzpur, you win the award for the the most cutest kittiest avatar in the world.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So what's wrong with us that we "forget" in the first place?
We are unwise, immature, or just plain scared.

Perhaps because we have been taught unproperly framed conceptions of divinity from an early age, even.

siti

We are unwise, immature, or just plain scared.

Perhaps because we have been chosen unproperly framed conceptions of divinity.
So we have to find "salvation" from immaturity and fear - and that is the "path" (or at least part of it) that we must follow to find unity and "divinity" again?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So we have to find "salvation" from immaturity and fear - and that is the "path" (or at least part of it) that we must follow to find unity and "divinity" again?
If you feel it that way, I guess so.

Myself, I don't have real use for concepts of salvation and divinity. And Unity comes with a lot of necessary footnotes.

siti

If you feel it that way, I guess so.

Myself, I don't have real use for concepts of salvation and divinity. And Unity comes with a lot of necessary footnotes.
Yes OK - getting sidetracked by details again but my original point was that a common thread in religions is that there is something "wrong" with humans that prevents them from attaining the "blessed" condition that they otherwise could be enjoying and each religion offers its own path to "correct" the wrong and get to the "blessed" condition.

So far, the only people who have responded to my idea have basically said "no, not my religion" and then proceeded to point out something that is wrong with humans - "individual sin", "immaturity", "forgetfulness" of our divinity...etc. - and then indicated explicitly or tacitly that their religion does indeed offer a path (or more likely 'the' path) to the "blessed" condition - "atonement", "remembering our divinity"...etc.

I'm beginning to suspect they're more alike than even I thought! And that not being able to see this is another common factor among religions.

stvdv

Yes OK - getting sidetracked by details again but my original point was that a common thread in religions is that there is something "wrong" with humans that prevents them from attaining the "blessed" condition that they otherwise could be enjoying and each religion offers its own path to "correct" the wrong and get to the "blessed" condition.

So far, the only people who have responded to my idea have basically said "no, not my religion" and then proceeded to point out something that is wrong with humans - "individual sin", "immaturity", "forgetfulness" of our divinity...etc. - and then indicated explicitly or tacitly that their religion does indeed offer a path (or more likely 'the' path) to the "blessed" condition - "atonement", "remembering our divinity"...etc.

I'm beginning to suspect they're more alike than even I thought! And that not being able to see this is another common factor among religions.

Have you ever experienced "Bliss"?
Do you experience "Bliss" 24/7?

If "yes" then I don't understand your reply
If "no" then I do understand your reply

siti

I don't think you understand my reply and I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with my experience. And please - that's not meant to be snarky or disrespectful. But anyway, let's suppose for a minute that I have never experienced bliss at all. For the sake of discussion (please):

1. What does that tell you about me (from your religious perspective) - don't hold back - I'm trying to learn here and I will not be offended by anything you say (I promise).

2. What could I do (from your religious perspective) to make experiencing bliss more likely?

stvdv

23 aug 2018 stvdv bliss 022 66
I suspect the most fundamentally common aspect of religions is the notion (in some form or other and invariably mistaken in my opinion) of salvation - the idea that there is something innately wrong with humans that we need to be "saved" or "healed" from before we reach the "blessed" condition that is/was meant for us.
I don't agree with this - but that does seem to be the common ground among the religions that I am aware of.
I agree with this. No need to be "saved" or "healed" to reach the "blessed" state

Most religions think that way
My religion not. We are all divine, we just need to remember. No need to be saved/healed by an outside something.

So what's wrong with us that we "forget" in the first place?
I do not call it wrong! Why do you call it "wrong" if we "forget" something?

Nothing wrong with us. Just some kind of dementia [forgetfulness]

You quote me "using the word forgetfulness I used in above reply" and in the same sentence implying that I point out "something is wrong with humans"
Why you write that? I never said there is something "wrong" with humans. I just mentioned forgetfulness of "Bliss" state. I never said my religion offers a path, and definitely I did not say "the path". I never talked about "atonement". I did mention "remember our divinity" or lack thereof.

Hence my reply.

Below link shares what is "the difference between happiness and bliss"
Sai Student: Experiences and Musings: The difference between happiness and bliss as explained by Sri Sathya Sai Baba
I don't think you understand my reply and I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with my experience. And please - that's not meant to be snarky or disrespectful. But anyway, let's suppose for a minute that I have never experienced bliss at all. For the sake of discussion (please):

1. What does that tell you about me (from your religious perspective) - don't hold back - I'm trying to learn here and I will not be offended by anything you say (I promise).

2. What could I do (from your religious perspective) to make experiencing bliss more likely?
Can you explain "why you think I don't understand your reply", and "how you think I understand it", and "what is wrong how I understand it"? [see also spoiler]

Good we are not "in debate forum" ... You made me smile:D with your line "and trust me - you really don't want me to start ripping into Mormon theology or scripture ..."

Now your 2 questions:
Bliss = Causeless happiness [I even feel happy "reading this quote", so obviously not Bliss;)]

1: If you have never experienced "Bliss" at all, It tells me nothing about "you". It just tells me that you never experienced "Bliss".
Personally I prefer introspection (what it tells about myself) and less (what it tells about you). These quotes come to mind:
*) "Who Am I". We are 3 persons. The one others think we are, the one we think we are and the one we really are.
*) Sath (Being), Chith (Awareness) can result in Ananda (Bliss). But when not resulting in Bliss, Being ("you") is unaffected.

2: Bliss = Causeless happiness. So it seems there is not much you can do:)

@siti: thank you for asking those good questions

Last edited:

Holdasown

So did any deity have any involvement in creating life on this earth?

There is no evidence to suggest they did. I think the reason we have access to so many deities is they all have access to Earth through their own worlds. As least on a astral/ spiritual level.

siti

Can you explain "why you think I don't understand your reply", and "how you think I understand it", and "what is wrong how I understand it"? [see also spoiler]
Well - first because you said so here:

Second, because you seemed to be interpreting my comments as an attempt to detail a "path" to "blessedness" (I am still not quite sure which word to use here because every possibility I can think of is loaded with specific religious connotations which I do not intend but I'll stick with "blessedness" for want of something more generic) when in fact I was deliberately trying to draw a vague outline of what I perceive as "common ground" that people of different religious backgrounds might agree on - at least to some extent.

Third, you also seem to be reading into my questions some kind of attempt to either recommend or discredit certain "paths" - or even all of them by lumping them together - and that certainly was not my intent. I was looking for common ground in the most general terms not equating one with another in details.

And finally, you seem to be mistaking what for me was a purely intellectual exercise for a spiritual evaluation. I was not attempting to elucidate spiritual truths - I was just comparing very different religious outlooks and noting very general similarities.

OK - now to change tack significantly so that you and I might find common ground (before I go back to the 'intellectual exercise' of drawing very generalised comparisons to see what is "the same" about different religions)...

Bliss = Causeless happiness [I even feel happy "reading this quote", so obviously not Bliss;)]

1: If you have never experienced "Bliss" at all, It tells me nothing about "you". It just tells me that you never experienced "Bliss".
Personally I prefer introspection (what it tells about myself) and less (what it tells about you). These quotes come to mind:
*) "Who Am I". We are 3 persons. The one others think we are, the one we think we are and the one we really are.
*) Sath (Being), Chith (Awareness) can result in Ananda (Bliss). But when not resulting in Bliss, Being ("you") is unaffected.

2: Bliss = Causeless happiness. So it seems there is not much you can do
I must admit, I am struggling a bit with this...if "Being and Awareness" can result in "Bliss" - how is "Bliss" uncaused? If it results from something then it is caused (isn't it?). Perhaps you mean it doesn't have an external cause? Perhaps you mean that "bliss" is an "awareness of being" to the exclusion of all external distractions? I don't know! I really can't follow that.

But I do know what "causeless happiness" is like. I can't explain it though. I can only explain the circumstances and even that is difficult to put into words. Its like when I am sitting with my family - wife, children, grandchildren... by the seaside enjoying a picnic as the sun sinks below the horizon and the smiling moon and venus rise on the opposite side of the sky and suddenly - completely without warning or effort - I am not "there" any more - I am not anywhere - or rather, I am everywhere - and completely elated - for absolutely no discernible reason - I mean its a nice place and nice food and all that but none of that is even relevant, let alone important, any more. I just am and that's it and its perfect. Like I said - I can't explain it - only "know" it - I'm not even sure it is "awareness" - certainly not in the usual sense of the word - its like a prehension not an apprehension. But its not even clear it is me - or even that there is a "me" - doing the prehending - or if it is something into which I am being "assimilated" as a "prehension". There are no boundaries - no me and not me. There is nothing "external" to be the cause of anything.

But it doesn't last. I mean, once you've "been there" it never really "leaves you" and you might "go back again" (i.e. have a similarly profound experience under different circumstances) - but I don't see how one could actually experience "uncaused happiness" 24/7. Maybe, like you said, its just a question of "remembering"?

And that brings me to the final clarification I want to make for now...

You quote me "using the word forgetfulness I used in above reply" and in the same sentence implying that I point out "something is wrong with humans"
Why you write that? I never said there is something "wrong" with humans. I just mentioned forgetfulness of "Bliss" state. I never said my religion offers a path, and definitely I did not say "the path". I never talked about "atonement". I did mention "remember our divinity" or lack thereof.
Perhaps "wrong" is the wrong word. Like I said earlier - it is difficult to choose words that do not carry loaded religious concepts. I simply meant that - in what you seemed to be saying - "forgetfulness" is the thing that separates us from "divinity" and "remembering" is what will reunite us with divinity. Is that right? So when I say "the path" - I am not suggesting a succession of specific religious rituals, I just meant, most generally, that there is "a way" by which our "separation" from "divinity" can be "removed" or "dissolved". It doesn't have to be ritual or formulaic - it could be "uncaused" - as in the sudden "falling away" of the boundaries that demark our everyday "self" from the "greater self" of divine reality?

I have written a lot of words - all the more chance of being misinterpreted. It is really difficult to explain the spiritual realities in mundane language...but...

...the point of my earlier posts was not to attempt what I have just tried in this post - i.e. to attempt to elucidate spiritual truths - but rather, to simply draw general comparisons upon which common ground for attempting to understand one anothers' religions might be based.

I am not a religious person (not for a long time) - but I have certainly had what I would call spiritual experiences - and to me that suggests that perhaps there is something more "common" - and more fundamental - to "religious" experiences than religion itself - let alone specific religious beliefs and practices. And that, finding those fundamental commonalities - to me, is a very important key to unlocking the whole "mystery" of this thing we call "religion". And, if we unlock it as a collective effort - we might even learn to understand each other better in the process (you never know)!

Phew! What a long post (even by my standards). If anybody is still there, please excuse my indulgence. I am - unashamedly - pursuing my own agenda of attempting to figure what this religion thing really is. Thanks for putting up with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim