• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, my path is revealed

Ravenheart

Seeker
As I said: FINALLY! My 6 year search on religion has found a crossroad and chose to follow that specific path called Neo-Druidry! I was fascinated by the books I bought, the trustworthy writers knowing exactly what they are talking about and the amazing philosophy and reasonable, wonderful belief systems!

I'd like your opinion and experience on Neo-Druidry. What do you think of this choice of mine?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think it is an artistic, positive path. I like the concept of Awen, and tend to associate the Goddess with other spiritual concepts like the Holy Ghost or the Muses.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I think it's great! I have a couple of friends who belong to this camp... they love it!

Ravenheart

Seeker
I'll have to go with OBOD as Emma Restall Orr inspired me of expanding my research further down this path (the OBOD). Do you have something to say Sylvan?

Thank you SKKF, and may mother earth bless her children once again :)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'll have to go with OBOD as Emma Restall Orr inspired me of expanding my research further down this path (the OBOD). Do you have something to say Sylvan?

Thank you SKKF, and may mother earth bless her children once again :)

:) sure, good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Onkara

Hi Ravenheart
Would you mind expanding on what you feel neodruidism will offer you?
I looked it up after reading your thread and wonder how it addresses your needs philosophical?

Ravenheart

Seeker
Hey Onkara thank you for your concern (this goes to all of you),
I read many books considering this subject as I mentioned and I always felt a strong connection to nature, I always wanted to honour and worship and thank this power for everything it has granted me. A beautiful world to live in, brothers and sisters to admire, heck I even admire its never ending, magnificently built web of life!! So based on these I believe Neo-Druidry will offer me ways of interacting with this wonderful force I admire so, and live in harmony with it. I'm not a hippy, nor I admire of their ways, after all, all they care about is having fun. On the contrary, druidry will offer me knowledge as it allows its disciples to experiment on magical methods and does not limit them to a certain way AND connects them to this web of life, while reminding them of what they are.

Philosophically as I already said, it supports love for the surroundings, does not limit the human nature, that is to defend property and honour of oneself and strongly bonds the "ropes" that bind man and nature. It is a free system, so philosophically I wouldn't follow druidry, I'd call it paganism more generally...

Man I need to clear my head, I hope some of my explanations made sense...

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Someone I respect greatly has been involved with OBOD for more than a decade or so now and has good things to say about it. I was just curious.

Sylvan

He is a personal friend. Lives in Portland Oregon and I believe he is some kind of civil clerk in the city bureaucracy or a firm that works in tandem. He is a Druid but I don't think he teaches or anything. Very low key dude. Last time I talked to him about it he said he was going through all the teaching material again in order (he made Druid many years back now). This time he is going through it on some kind of new audio recording format which he said would be a good way for beginners to pick it up since Druidry was an oral tradition in the first place.

I will ask him if he knows of any Druids in Greece. Are there many OBOD members outside of English-speaking countries?

I don't consider myself a Druid but I am a huge fan of the work of John Michael Greer, if you have ever heard of him, who seems to take Druidry in an interesting direction. He has a really intense eco-political blog too.

Ravenheart

Seeker
Thank you very much for everything mate, I'd really appreciate it if you could ask him if he knows of any druids in Greece. I'm afraid druids are very few to none outside of english speaking countries, except for germany and finnland where druidry is blooming.

I'll also have Greer in mind too, again, thanks for evErything

Ravenheart

Seeker
Your question considering of what branch should I follow had me wondering. So I made a 2 day research on the matter. I found OBOD is more of a free spirituality than the ADF, and, although I didn't like the fact that it is USA based, due to USAs lack of history thus civilization (that meaning the USA are the base of 90% of the cults worldwide) I found my philosophy is much more closer to the ADF than the OBOD...
I will expand my research further down to see where will it lead me! Thank you for bringing forth this question!

Sylvan

Y I found OBOD is more of a free spirituality than the ADF, and, {snip} I found my philosophy is much more closer to the ADF than the OBOD...

I'm with you on that one. I give respect to both and I respect my friend highly but the ADF has some people in it doing really interesting work. Check this guy out: Into the Mound And its not like they are the only games in town as far as Druidry. Given its connection to the land the path you take, whomever you take after, will be yours and you are in a different country with different environment, the forests, seas, rivers, and all their gods. If I were you I would begin not by seeking membership in some organization, but rather find out the names of the river gods in your local area and bring them some offerings and see what happens and what you think about what you read afterwords.

although I didn't like the fact that it is USA based, due to USAs lack of history thus civilization (that meaning the USA are the base of 90% of the cults worldwide)

:biglaugh:Sorry about that. Technically though probably just like 75%, and what's a "cult" anyhow? I assure you there are druids somewhere that operate in a "cult-like" environment, even if such behavior is delegated to the personality cults around the leaders of individual groves. These kinds of things can happen anywhere and to any peoples. Not to say you aren't totally right about the USA having little history and being the birthplace of all kinds of new religious movements. Check Brazil, Korea, and Japan as well.

Last edited:

Many Sages One Truth

As I said: FINALLY! My 6 year search on religion has found a crossroad and chose to follow that specific path called Neo-Druidry! I was fascinated by the books I bought, the trustworthy writers knowing exactly what they are talking about and the amazing philosophy and reasonable, wonderful belief systems!

I'd like your opinion and experience on Neo-Druidry. What do you think of this choice of mine?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Excellent, I think it's a great choice. :)

Ravenheart

Seeker
I'm with you on that one. I give respect to both and I respect my friend highly but the ADF has some people in it doing really interesting work. Check this guy out: Into the Mound And its not like they are the only games in town as far as Druidry. Given its connection to the land the path you take, whomever you take after, will be yours and you are in a different country with different environment, the forests, seas, rivers, and all their gods.

Right, very much right but you must know, I'm born to be called by the north, not the south. I feel uncomfortable in this hot sunny environment, while once, when I was in vacation in Ireland, I walked the woods outside Londonderry, and I only left when night hugged the land. And I couldn't even imagine how hours have passed so quickly, I felt like I belonged there you know!

Sorry about that. Technically though probably just like 75%, and what's a "cult" anyhow? I assure you there are druids somewhere that operate in a "cult-like" environment, even if such behavior is delegated to the personality cults around the leaders of individual groves. These kinds of things can happen anywhere and to any peoples. Not to say you aren't totally right about the USA having little history and being the birthplace of all kinds of new religious movements. Check Brazil, Korea, and Japan as well.

Seems like I amused you :) Truth is, if "cults" were the majority of groups in Druidry I wouldn't follow it at all as cults evolve around religions that seem popular, for all they seek is money and nothing more, I can accept the fact that cults evolve around Wicca but druidry, seems kind of hard. Bearing that in mind, I define a cult as an organization designed by a leader who seeks to gain money by destroying people's lifes. By what you are saying I assume that in your opinion, a cult is an organization with a leader who just directs and teaches its disciples. It seems we have a different opinion on what cult is then!! :) And yeah, about 75% of cults evolve in the USA, isn't that bad enough?

Last edited: