• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting Coronavirus...... Bring on the Hounds!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Fighting Coronavirus. Bring on the Dogs!

Noticed on BBC teletext news this morning.

Dogs are trained to detect Parkinsons, Malaria and some cancers, and seizure alert dogs can warn their epileptic owners of oncoming fits more quickly. If this works out then humans might be much more safe when travelling or visiting public events.

Let's hope the hounds can hack it, eh? :)

Dogs could join the fight against COVID-19 - Medical ...www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk › dogs-could-join-th...
Medical Detection Dogs is looking into whether man's best friend could play a role in preventing the spread of Coronavirus. The charity has spent years ...
The charity has spent years successfully researching the science behind dogs’ sense of smell and believes that dogs could detect the disease. It has always adopted a rigorous, scientific approach to its work, and produced more than a dozen peer reviewed research papers which support its belief that each disease has its own unique odour.
Medical Detection Dogs will be working in partnership with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and Durham University, bringing together the team which recently collaborated to successfully prove that dogs can be trained to detect malaria.
Together they have started preparations to intensively train dogs so they could be ready in 6 weeks to help provide a rapid, non-invasive diagnosis towards the tail end of the epidemic, and approached government about how dogs can play a role in the fight against the disease.
Dogs searching for COVID-19 would be trained in the same way as those dogs the charity has already trained to detect diseases like cancer, Parkinson’s and bacterial infections – by sniffing samples in the charity’s training room and indicating when they have found it. They are also able to detect subtle changes in temperature of the skin, so could potentially tell if someone has a fever.
Once trained, dogs could also be used to identify travellers entering the country infected with the virus or be deployed in other public spaces.
Dr Claire Guest, CEO and Co-Founder of Medical Detection Dogs, says: “In principle, we’re sure that dogs could detect COVID-19. We are now looking into how we can safely catch the odour of the virus from patients and present it to the dogs.
“The aim is that dogs will be able to screen anyone, including those who are asymptomatic and tell us whether they need to be tested. This would be fast, effective and non-invasive and make sure the limited NHS testing resources are only used where they are really needed.”
Professor James Logan, Head of Department of Disease Control at The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and Director of ARCTEC, said: “Our previous work demonstrated that dogs can detect odours from humans with a malaria infection with extremely high accuracy – above the World Health Organisation standards for a diagnostic.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Dogs are trained to detect Parkinsons, Malaria and some cancers, and seizure alert dogs can warn their epileptic owners of oncoming fits more quickly. If this works out then humans might be much more safe when travelling or visiting public events.

Dogs could join the fight against COVID-19 - Medical ...www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk › dogs-could-join-th...
Medical Detection Dogs is looking into whether man's best friend could play a role in preventing the spread of Coronavirus. The charity has spent years ...
The charity has spent years successfully researching the science behind dogs’ sense of smell and believes that dogs could detect the disease. It has always adopted a rigorous, scientific approach to its work, and produced more than a dozen peer reviewed research papers which support its belief that each disease has its own unique odour.
Medical Detection Dogs will be working in partnership with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and Durham University, bringing together the team which recently collaborated to successfully prove that dogs can be trained to detect malaria.
Together they have started preparations to intensively train dogs so they could be ready in 6 weeks to help provide a rapid, non-invasive diagnosis towards the tail end of the epidemic, and approached government about how dogs can play a role in the fight against the disease.
Dogs searching for COVID-19 would be trained in the same way as those dogs the charity has already trained to detect diseases like cancer, Parkinson’s and bacterial infections – by sniffing samples in the charity’s training room and indicating when they have found it. They are also able to detect subtle changes in temperature of the skin, so could potentially tell if someone has a fever.
Once trained, dogs could also be used to identify travellers entering the country infected with the virus or be deployed in other public spaces.
Dr Claire Guest, CEO and Co-Founder of Medical Detection Dogs, says: “In principle, we’re sure that dogs could detect COVID-19. We are now looking into how we can safely catch the odour of the virus from patients and present it to the dogs.
“The aim is that dogs will be able to screen anyone, including those who are asymptomatic and tell us whether they need to be tested. This would be fast, effective and non-invasive and make sure the limited NHS testing resources are only used where they are really needed.”
Professor James Logan, Head of Department of Disease Control at The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and Director of ARCTEC, said: “Our previous work demonstrated that dogs can detect odours from humans with a malaria infection with extremely high accuracy – above the World Health Organisation standards for a diagnostic.
Good job dogs don't catch the virus. I understand cats can. But I think I'd want a proper test, rather than being told to self-isolate based on a dog smelling me.

(My secret hope was that it would prove devastating for the urban foxes which are a terrible curse round here, but this seems unlikely.)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

By the time our canine friends get trained to detect Covid, Sweden probably will have already reached herd immunity where most Swedes will then likely be Covid anti-bodied.

ScreenShot2020-05-06at7.49.21PM.png

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Good job dogs don't catch the virus. I understand cats can. But I think I'd want a proper test, rather than being told to self-isolate based on a dog smelling me.

(My secret hope was that it would prove devastating for the urban foxes which are a terrible curse round here, but this seems unlikely.)
If it works, and if an alert dog would sit beside you (that would be the signal) then I expect that you would be asked to take a test.
That's how it would work, I expect. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Grizzly bears have an even better sense of smell than dogs.
@Wu Wei could be trained to detect the plague.
Grizzly Bears? Huh!
Badgers can smell better 'n them .
They sniff out their dinners through the ground.

Anyway, a medical alert grissly insidea a rail station, even a smiling one,...... Pandemonium!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
By the time our canine friends get trained to detect Covid, Sweden probably will have already reached herd immunity where most Swedes will then likely be Covid anti-bodied.
So Sweden might not need to bother.
We have put forward £500,000 to research this and I reckon that's a good investment. :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
But you probably don't have the curse of skunks.
True. But foxes also scent mark and they defecate to mark territory as well, specifically on the paths that humans take, e.g. to and from the doors out of the house. They also pull up plants and leave KFC wrappers lying around.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
True. But foxes also scent mark and they defecate to mark territory as well, specifically on the paths that humans take, e.g. to and from the doors out of the house. They also pull up plants and leave KFC wrappers lying around.
There you go again! :D
Rubbishing fast food foxes!
Or are you simply a McDonalds tribalist?
OMG! Burgaphilia and Chickophobia raises its ugly head again!
Our foxes 'ere are not prejudiced...... they'll have a nosh up of McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Fish 'n Chips, and have even devoured the odd duck, such as our little 'Splish' ..:)

It might be because we are outside of any towns or cities, but I am quite fond of the local foxes even though we have to put all of our ducks in to a run at night. I used to hold training courses every week at a venue just North of Croydon, and there is a huge cemetery not 1/4 mile away. I would drive to London very early, arriving at the venue (from Canterbury) at 0500hrs so as to miss any traffic. Rather than sleep for a couple of hours I would often walk deep in to the cemetery to photograph wild life like owls and such....... but the fox observations were fantastic. :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
There you go again! :D
Rubbishing fast food foxes!
Or are you simply a McDonalds tribalist?
OMG! Burgaphilia and Chickophobia raises its ugly head again!
Our foxes 'ere are not prejudiced...... they'll have a nosh up of McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Fish 'n Chips, and have even devoured the odd duck, such as our little 'Splish' ..:)

It might be because we are outside of any towns or cities, but I am quite fond of the local foxes even though we have to put all of our ducks in to a run at night. I used to hold training courses every week at a venue just North of Croydon, and there is a huge cemetery not 1/4 mile away. I would drive to London very early, arriving at the venue (from Canterbury) at 0500hrs so as to miss any traffic. Rather than sleep for a couple of hours I would often walk deep in to the cemetery to photograph wild life like owls and such....... but the fox observations were fantastic. :)
Our local fox has a hiding place in my front garden, under the hypericum bush, where he brings what he has scavenged to eat it. I find KFC and McD cartons, tomato ketchup sachets, and even the odd plastic fork! I try to deter him by grinding copious amounts of black pepper all over the ground and this seems to work for a few days, unless it rains. I would like to shoot or gas all the foxes, frankly. They are a stinking and insanitary menace. :mad:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Our local fox has a hiding place in my front garden, under the hypericum bush, where he brings what he has scavenged to eat it. I find KFC and McD cartons, tomato ketchup sachets, and even the odd plastic fork! I try to deter him by grinding copious amounts of black pepper all over the ground and this seems to work for a few days, unless it rains. I would like to shoot or gas all the foxes, frankly. They are a stinking and insanitary menace. :mad:
Ah...yes. Anal glands. My wife works for a company of 4 vets and she has described how dreadful the smell is when a domestic dog needs to have its anal glands expressed. Foxes must express their glands with much more ease to scent mark, and for some humans this is quite repulsive, so I expect that you are such a victim. My wife can smell if a fox has visited during the night, but I can't, have never been able to.
In the past our ducks would produce two flights of young uns each summer and the foxes would make lightening daylight raids to catch us out. My wife wanted to do dark deeds to the foxes but I didn't as long as any killed ducks were taken away to provide food etc I never felt that there had been waste.
Nearly all our neighbours like the local foxes..... it must be a rural mindset as opposed to a city one, I guess.