• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fetuses and Abortions

Brian2

Veteran Member
do fetuses have souls and is it murder to have an abortion?

I'm the opposite of Rival since I think that foetuses have a spirit nature in them as adults and children do, but whether of not it is murder is open to debate in societies and ultimately is something that only God can judge on an individual basis.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
What Jewish law really says about abortion - Jewish Telegraphic Agency
I hope you read your sources before posting them. What this article says is that while halachically (per Jewish law) an unborn fetus isn't considered to have a soul, abortion is still only allowed in certain rare cases.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
do fetuses have souls
There is no way of telling, we can only speculate

It's not as if we can observe souls

Does a clump of a dozen or so cells have a soul? I doubt it.

Does a thing with fingers, toes, and a face have a soul? Probably.

I have no idea at what point a foetus/embryo acquires a soul but I suspect it's linked to whenever it develops consciousness

and is it murder to have an abortion?
Before it's reached a certain point of development then no. But after it's reached a certain point then yes.

But I have no idea where that point is, or should be

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I hope you read your sources before posting them. What this article says is that while halachically (per Jewish law) an unborn fetus isn't considered to have a soul, abortion is still only allowed in certain rare cases.

i certainly did read it.

the fact remains a fetus isn't a soul under jewish law. a soul is one in which the breath of life is taken and sustained without interference.

Jewish law does not consider the fetus to be a being with a soul until it is born. It does not have personhood. Furthermore, before 40 days, some poskim, or deciders of Jewish law, have a low bar for allowing an abortion.

strangely enough lung development is a major issue in premature babies

Last edited:

MNoBody

I think life is precious in all its forms, but I live in a world where life is cheap and expendable.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
i certainly did read it.

the fact remains a fetus isn't a soul under jewish law. a soul is one in which the breath of life is taken and sustained without interference.

Jewish law does not consider the fetus to be a being with a soul until it is born. It does not have personhood. Furthermore, before 40 days, some poskim, or deciders of Jewish law, have a low bar for allowing an abortion.
The whole article goes into depth about when such abortions can take place and they're not exactly elective. Abortion is not a right, but a needful process if the medical situation, health of the mother, requires it.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The whole article goes into depth about when such abortions can take place, and they're not exactly elective. Abortion is not a right, but a needful process if the medical situation, health of the mother, requires it.

still the fetus isn't a person under jewish law.

abortion would be permissible under mental anguish. a raped woman would qualify.

i'm not advocating abortions. I'm out to show christian belief doesn't align with biblical context

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
still the fetus isn't a person under jewish law.

abortion would be permissible under mental anguish
I am extremely tokophobic but even then I couldn't go ahead with an abortion. I think this is more complex than folks think.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I am extremely tokophobic but even then I couldn't go ahead with an abortion. I think this is more complex than folks think.

i'm not advocating abortions. I'm out to show christian belief doesn't align with biblical context

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
i certainly did read it.
Oh, good. :)
the fact remains a fetus isn't a soul under jewish law. a soul is one in which the breath of life is taken and sustained without interference
I'd be weary of defining a soul in the manner you are. The implication is that someone who uses some sort of breathing device doesn't have a soul. I'm completely serious.

In any case, while the Jewish view of abortion is different from the Christian one, it's still a very strict view and abortion rulings aren't made lightly.

epronovost

It's my personal opinion. It's a potential soul, so it stays.

Anything is a potential something.

I don't believe in souls. I don't believe abortion should be considered murder nor that fetuses and embryos should be equated to babies, toddlers, children, teenagers, adults or elders.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Oh, good. :)

I'd be weary of defining a soul in the manner you are. The implication is that someone who uses some sort of breathing device doesn't have a soul. I'm completely serious.

In any case, while the Jewish view of abortion is different from the Christian one, it's still a very strict view and abortion rulings aren't made lightly.
abortions happen quite naturally and without people involved.

they call them miscarriages

again i'm not advocating abortion.

i'm pointing out the reasoning behind is like the idea of a house. is it a house if no one is living there? because the basic idea is the residence of a god. if god is spirit and no spirit is residing, then no one is home.

more references to abortion from another jewish source

Abortion in Judaism

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
That's alright. I'm pointing out that from a Jewish perspective, just because you've reached conclusion x about something, doesn't mean that therefore y is allowed. Another example is that animals aren't considered alive in Judaism, at least not in the same way that humans are. Does that mean that one can be cruel to animals? No, not at all. Judaism abhors cruelty to animals.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That's alright. I'm pointing out that from a Jewish perspective, just because you've reached conclusion x about something, doesn't mean that therefore y is allowed. Another example is that animals aren't considered alive in Judaism, at least not in the same way that humans are. Does that mean that one can be cruel to animals? No, not at all. Judaism abhors cruelty to animals.

i'm not advocating for judaism.
being jewish evidently isn't something hereditary given the prophets many references of so called jews doing what isn't considered jewish

self is it's own worse enemy or friend. correction is one thing. punishment is abusive. science has shown that physical punishment has long term mental and physical problems.

love doesn't abuse other living things, nor does it try to control another's right to be. love isn't exclusive to an ism

people want to be part of something inclusive and love is the one main thing they seek the most. unfortunately they don't always reflect it. judaism not excluded