• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson: Moving on..why none of this will mater...

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Its because the law authorizes them to shoot out of self defense.
........... cos your country is awash in guns! But multiple shots into an unarmed citizen could be seen by many other countries as 'overkill'. I see it as an overstressed, under-counselled officer short on training reviews. Why didn't he get a job back in Jennings, I wonder?

In Britian, most officers don't carry guns so that's a different scenario.
..... with under 30 police shootings in nearly 40 years, you could say its different........ now why would that be? It could be because nobody is allowed to buy handguns and assault rifles here, not even shotguns capable of firing more than three shots. And our Police have strict body armour rules.

Blacks are probably shot more, probably because they commit a lot of the violent crimes. But before anyone sees cops shooting Blacks as a problem, esp. if its a White cop, they should be just as concerned about Black's shooting other Blacks in the inner cities. We don't find the same tension, protest, and outrage on that for some reason.
....... press for more gun controls and you'll have much more attention. A whole lot more attention!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
She doesn't need to. Wilson's entire department was disbanded and fired, specifically because they were so notoriously racist that the whole department was not considered credible in the community they swore to serve and protect. Those are the facts. Does that say something about Wilson?

Obviously, yes.

What does it say about Wilson?

You missed this from earlier.

........... cos your country is awash in guns! But multiple shots into an unarmed citizen could be seen by many other countries as 'overkill'. I see it as an overstressed, under-counselled officer short on training reviews. Why didn't he get a job back in Jennings, I wonder?

..... with under 30 police shootings in nearly 40 years, you could say its different........ now why would that be? It could be because nobody is allowed to buy handguns and assault rifles here, not even shotguns capable of firing more than three shots. And our Police have strict body armour rules.

....... press for more gun controls and you'll have much more attention. A whole lot more attention!

The number of guns is not the problem but rather gun laws, training, and enforcement of gun laws effects how guns are handled in society. Switzerland is in the top 5 countries for high gun ownership but yet they have a very low crime rate, comparable to your country. Compare that to many South American countries where gun ownership is extremely low and yet gun crime is extremely high. I own several guns so far and i know my states laws on lawful usage and ive never have had to shoot someone. Ive been in a few road rage incidents but kept my composure. I encourage you to look up Switzerland as an example of how a gun culture can work. You can start here:

How Switzerland Developed a Gun Culture That Works | TIME.com

Last edited:

Delta-9

From everything I've seen it looks like a problem with the system from training to protocol. They are trained to go overkill, their protocol seems to be one of escalation not deescalation. This appears to be happening all over the country.

Police are trying to be more like the military but without the proper training or mindset.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
A Utah member has said that last year showed the lowest number of cop killings ever, about 35, I think. Body Armour and strict rules about wearing it must have made a massive difference.
So you are saying you still think large numbers of cops were still shot? Any actual evidence to back up your claim? Or just wild conjecture?