• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite Atheist arguments

Skeezy

Prove it.
You are mighty colossally big on bold empty claims but damn near microscopic in the support department....

You really need a new song and dance.
This nonsense may work for your choir, but so far no one outside of your choir is buying it.

Have you yourself limited your own viewing to your employers collection?

Except I haven't...
Where does that leave you?

You would do good to take your own advice.
Your employers collection did not impress.

Did I mention I am not a member of your choir?

So are you going to look at the evidence or not guy?
Um okay, then I guess we have nothing further to discuss.
You go on believing on everything you see on ghost hunter shows then, if it makes you happy. :shrug:

Again, you saying its a ghost hunter show means you still havent seen it. Do the videos I posted look like ghost hunter vids. This isnt reality ghost tv. They c=used their resources to collect as much paranormal footage from around the world as they could, thats it.

They collected already existing videos of paranormal stuff into the largest collection you could ever find thats not locked in a government vault somwhere. For the 40th time

Observe the evdience. You cant say you've observed majority of video evidence in the world without watching this show which is why... its step 1.

Not just you but, the fact people want to talk as if they know before seeing it is just ridiculous. Its really a head in sand mentality.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So are you going to look at the evidence or not guy?
I used to be super into everything having to do with ghosts. EVRs were my favourite.
But you know what I found after watching and reading all that stuff for so many years?
No evidence for the existence of ghosts. It's all people's interpretations of things they've seen and conclusions they've drawn filtered through their own preconceived notions and beliefs about the existence of ghosts. I never found anyone who actually defined what a ghost was or how ghosts operate and function or how they even exist in the first place.
I've yet to see any kind of repeatable demonstration for the existence of ghosts - it's all just one-off encounters that sometimes happen when someone is somewhere, but not other times when other people are there or that guy is there or someone thought they heard something once. Well, I've heard all kinds of weird things but I don't attribute it to things that have yet to be shown to exist.

It all amounts to wishful thinking but not much hard evidence at all, from what I've gleaned on the subject. Sorry, guy.

Again, you saying its a ghost hunter show means you still havent seen it. Do the videos I posted look like ghost hunter vids.

Theu collected already existing videos of paranormal stuff into the largest collection you could ever find thats not locked in a government vault somwhere. For the 40th time
Like I said before, I prefer methodologically sound, peer reviewed studies where people actually show their work and demonstrate their claims.

Last edited:

Skeezy

I used to be super into everything having to do with ghosts. ERVs were my favourite.
But you know what I found after watching and reading all that stuff for so many years?
No evidence for the existence of ghosts. It's all people's interpretations of things they've seen and conclusions they've drawn filtered through their own preconceived notions and beliefs about the existence of ghosts. I never found anyone who actually defined what a ghost was or how ghosts operate and function or how they even exist in the first place.
I've yet to see any kind of repeatable demonstration for the existence of ghosts - it's all just one-off encounters that sometimes happen when someone is somewhere, but not other times when other people are there or that guy is there or someone thought they heard something once. Well, I've heard all kinds of weird things but I don't attribute it to things that have yet to be shown to exist.

It all amounts to wishful thinking but not much hard evidence at all, from what I've gleaned on the subject. Sorry, guy.

Like I said before, I prefer methodologically sound, peer reviewed studies where people actually show their work and demonstrate their claims.
Omg dude watch the show, not every video but some they actually do just that.This show has spawned several others on the same network, one entirely devoted to try to recreate to proof or debunk the videos. But all the videos they are trying to proof or debunk are from this show..... you have to actually watch the show to see the sources, efforts into debu king and to actually know what you are talking about when you refer to the series.
The videos themselves are from around the world...The show didnt make them

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Omg dude watch the show, not every video but some they actually do just that.This show has spawned several others on the same network, one entirely devoted to try to recreate to proof or debunk the videos. But all the videos they are trying to proof or debunk are from this show..... you have to actually watch the show to see the sources, efforts into debu king and to actually know what you are talking about when you refer to the series
TV shows aren't where we demonstrate scientific phenomena.
These guys need to write and publish some papers on their findings and have them peer reviewed for soundness.

Skeezy

Omg dude watch the show, not every video but some they actually do just that.This show has spawned several others on the same network, one entirely devoted to try to recreate to proof or debunk the videos. But all the videos they are trying to proof or debunk are from this show..... you have to actually watch the show to see the sources, efforts into debu king and to actually know what you are talking about when you refer to the series.
To give you an example the show is layered like real stories of the highway patrol or police chase videos. They observe the videos, they go through the sources amnd gather as much info as they can, since its a multi million network they have the resources. They then debate how it could be faked or why its believable... they often get the original people behind the video if possible. Some videos are from remote jungle locations this is literally the largest collection of paranormal stuff caught on tape that has ever been seen

Skeezy

To give you an example the show is layered like real stories of the highway patrol or police chase videos. They observe the videos, they go through the sources amnd gather as much info as they can, since its a multi million network they have the resources. They then debate how it could be faked or why its believable... they often get the original people behind the video.
To give you an example the show is layered like real stories of the highway patrol or police chase videos. They observe the videos, they go through the sources amnd gather as much info as they can, since its a multi million network they have the resources. They then debate how it could be faked or why its believable... they often get the original people behind the video if possible. Some videos are from remote jungle locations this is literally the largest collection of paranormal stuff caught on tape that has ever been seen

These guys need to write and publish some papers on their findings and have them peer reviewed for soundness.

you would have to watch the show to see who has and who hasnt.

Lemmw get this straight you would rather read a book written by the people than actually view the evidence they were able aquire? .... that sounds.... idk

Skeezy

Do you watch discovery/travel channel? They literally do just that. Like 80% of their shows are geared towards scientific discovery and research and exploring things and figuring out facts. (you set yourself up for that one)

Do you see how being too pre-dismissive without actually seeing it gives you a handicap at saying anything correct?

You'd have to actually see it to say what it is or isnt.

Sure some of the videos are fake. Many of them dont seem to be and some are even of events that were captured by multiple people across a city. Or for example a ufo that was spotted over rhe states but also over several Other countries etc.... there are literally hundreds of videos of many different scenarios and to know anything about them.... (repeat what ive already said)

You have not seen majority of these videos or scenarios but are dismissing them without knowing anything about them. That in and of itself is about as far away from scientific as it gets. Worse yet you say your into things like that but have not seen what people across the world have captuered

If a catastrophic event happened at a remote part of the world. What do you think would come first the books or the footage of them exploring and testing?....

Your argument is only combative and not scientifically sound

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
you would have to watch the show to see who has and who hasnt.
No, I don't.
Are you even reading my posts?

Lemmw get this straight you would rather read a book written by the people than actually view the evidence they were able aquire? .... that sounds.... idk
No, I don't.
I'm not talking about books, though I've read a ton of those too.
I'm talking about carrying out controlled, methodologically sound studies that are published in science journals and peer reviewed. You know, like how claims are actually demonstrated scientifically.

Skeezy

Do you watch discovery/travel channel? They literally do just that.

Do you see how being too pre-dismissive without actually seeing it gives you a handicap at saying anything correct?
No, I don't.
Are you even reading my posts?

No, I don't.
I'm not talking about books, though I've read a ton of those too.
I'm talking about carrying out controlled, methodologically sound studies that are published in science journals and peer reviewed. You know, like how claims are actually demonstrated scientifically.

So you expect unexplained paranormal phenomena to meet your critical guidelines by showing up in a lab, without observing what test were done while they were able to be done... good luck with that.

Also most of these videos are not from ghost hunters and people looking for paranormal. They are caught sImply because people have the ability to record what they see. Some scenarios are more scientific than others but all of that is lost on you because i quite simply asked that you watch it?

Something you and the bulk of "scientific" people here cant quite seem to do yet have so much to say against

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So you expect unexplained paranormal phenomena to meet your critical guidelines by showing up in a lab, without observing what test were done while they were able to be done... good luck with that.

Also most of these videos are not from ghost hunters and people looking for paranormal. They are caught sImply because people have the ability to record what they see. Some scenarios are more scientific than others but all of that is lost on you because i quite simply asked that you watch it?

Something you and the bulk of "scientific" people here cant quite seem to do yet have so much to say against
What I expect is scientific rigor. What I expect is demonstrable evidence for the claim. "Recording what you see" and then claiming some cause for it without methodologically sound study isn't going to get you to the truth of the matter. It's a great way to reinforce what you already believe though. Good thing science doesn't operate that way.

I've watched countless videos of "ghosts caught on tape" at this point in my life. I'm good. Now is time for some methodologically sound investigation. Let me know when you've got something like that.

Yeah, I like science because it's led us to discover everything we currently know about the world we live in. If we used your method, we'd still be claiming that gods (or ghosts) are in charge of thunder and lightning.

Skeezy

Im willing to wait up to a year for someone to actually have seen the first two seasons so the conversation can actually go somewhere instead of whatever this is.
I've seen the show before.

Then how come you make so many inncorrect statements about it?..

Even if you saw one episode tyour missing about 290 more videos about 20-40 of which are the videos I need you to see

There are plenty of fakes but the ones that arent able to be debunked and there are even ones that have mutliple confirmations from different sources. This is why I need you to see all of the first two seasons. To make sure you see all the material that concerns spirits. Every possibly real footage you could ever find for that past 25 years or so is displayed on this show. Thats what the show is, gathering the footage and showing it to you.

Its not "reality ghost hunters" running around in the dark although some of the vids displayed may be from that, but thats not what the show is. It is only displaying paranormal footage gathered from around the world for the past 25 years

Last edited:

Skeezy

What I expect is scientific rigor. What I expect is demonstrable evidence for the claim. "Recording what you see" and then claiming some cause for it without methodologically sound study isn't going to get you to the truth of the matter. It's a great way to reinforce what you already believe though. Good thing science doesn't operate that way.

I've watched countless videos of "ghosts caught on tape" at this point in my life. I'm good. Now is time for some methodologically sound investigation. Let me know when you've got something like that.

Yeah, I like science because it's led us to discover everything we currently know about the world we live in. If we used your method, we'd still be claiming that gods (or ghosts) are in charge of thunder and lightning.

Question several days later lol. So do you entertain the possibility of spirits or no? Just the possibility not a definite yes or no.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Question several days later lol. So do you entertain the possibility of spirits or no? Just the possibility not a definite yes or no.
I would if I ever saw good evidence for "spirits."

But as I said, I still have yet to see someone even define what a ghost is, or how it exists in the first place. Are they dead people who have somehow been corporally reassembled after death? If so, how? Is our consciousness somehow revived after death as well? Are ghosts conscious? If so, how? I feel like these questions need to be answered before we can even begin here.

Skeezy

I would if I ever saw good evidence for "spirits."

But as I said, I still have yet to see someone even define what a ghost is, or how it exists in the first place. Are they dead people who have somehow been corporally reassembled after death? If so, how? Is our consciousness somehow revived after death as well? Are ghosts conscious? If so, how? I feel like these questions need to be answered before we can even begin here.

Then you will never begin. Spirits are something that man has no control over and can only be observed when the opportunity presents itself. Spirits have plenty of recorded lore which almost parallels mens civilations.

Spirits do not follow the laws of physicality of man. It is believed they exist on a different plane parallel to man and are able to influence, help ,or hurt man.

Now many apparitions of people are believed to be residual energy. I say that because in video evidence of apparitions they are often seen repeating an action similar to when they were alive, even when spotted more than once. This could be an invisible enitity walking through a door and sliding a chair to sit down, street cameras the that show apparitions appear then cross the street, or for example Gettysburg apparitions and most clothed humanoid apparitions that are spotted.

The show has many videos of apparitions caught on street cameras. One video that comes to mind shows an apparition appear In the middle of a busy street. One car swerves to avoid It but goes right through it. As cars pull over it disappears and several drivers check the street puzzled.

Poltergeists and Manifestations of a spirit are a little different.

Poltergeist activity is one that could probably be studied as these are usually the most frequent activity. A study could probably be done but, of course at the total discretion of the poltergeist. This would probably involve devices and you guessed it, video documentation, something you seem to be against which makes it impossible to even study with any validity.

Manifistations of unknown spirtis are random and in essence, uncontrollable. This is your shadow figures, full hauntings, demons and spirits in general. These things do not succumb to mans laws not even a little. They arent objects that man can control over to study. They can only be observed and evidenced by rigorously filming at all times. Its funny because the lore and stories go back eons but much of the current video evidence supports thats these things have always existed in the way that they are known to exist.

In dealing with these things you have to go by the evidence that is there, not evidence that you want presented to give your earthly perception basis in something that isn't earthly, due to lack of understanding. To be frank spirits are present but, the knowledge of them is as limited as our knowledge of the beginning of existence. However, there is a positive in that spirits can provide answers but solely at their discretion.

Video evidenc quite frankly is the best evidence of spirits since man is at the spirits descretion. The best studies are ones that observe the evidence and then scientifically decide wether it is factual or not. Any other form of evidence would be hearsay as there is no tangible way to study a spirit in the method you decribe without video documentation. To deny all video evidence before observing it is to limit your perception of any evidence at all. It would literally have to happen to you directly.

Someone could set out to study a poltergeist and chronical it scientifically and their findings would probably be talked about in scientific circles and aired on discovery channel... thats funny

As i said to dismiss all videos as not evidence, is to be in denial of any factual evidence subitted. You cannot know if it has any factual grounding or not until you view all of the evidence presented and judge based on the totality. If even a portion any of the totality of video evidence is factual then the truths would correlate and they do.

Last edited:

Skeezy

To give an example of a small correlation. In many videos spirits can open close doors. Some videos are real and many are fake. The many videos that document said event well enough could be considered evidence after vigorous scrutiny and after total observation. Not just one or two instances but hundreds of observations of the same kind of occurence across many videos from many locations

After surveyong all of the evidence provided then you can form a true opinion of wether spirits can open/close doors.

Its also funny because skeptics almost always dismiss as strings but strings can only pull they cant turn the knob open the door and slam it shut. These instances rely on proper video documentation of the door, many times they do. Not only that but in many videos the instance is reoccuring meaning the spirit may open and close the door several times, and/or open or close multiple doors at the same time, in any one of these videos even while its undergoing confirmation documentation.

You really do need to see all the evidence

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Then you will never begin.

Then there is no where to go.

How can you propose something exists if you can't define the thing you think exists?

Spirits are something that man has no control over and can only be observed when the opportunity presents itself. Spirits have plenty of recorded lore which almost parallels mens civilations.

This requires demonstration, not just assertion.

Aliens, pixies and elves have a history in human culture too, but that doesn't make them real.

I'm still wondering what a spirit is - how it is defined, how it exists and how it is measured.

Spirits do not follow the laws of physicality of man. It is believed they exist on a different plane parallel to man and are able to influence, help ,or hurt man.

Again, this requires demonstration, not just assertion.

Now you've added yet another two more undefined elements to this - now you claim there is a "different plane parallel to man” and that “spirits don’t follow the laws of physicality.” How do you know that? That also needs to be demonstrated, rather than just asserted.

And if spirits can influence, help or hurt man, then they should be easily detectable and measurable, because that would mean that they operate within the laws of nature, in this world, which is the only one we actually know exists.

Now many apparitions of people are believed to be residual energy. I say that because in video evidence of apparitions they are often seen repeating an action similar to when they were alive, even when spotted more than once. This could be an invisible enitity walking through a door and sliding a chair to sit down, street cameras the that show apparitions appear then cross the street, or for example Gettysburg apparitions and most clothed humanoid apparitions that are spotted.

The show has many videos of apparitions caught on street cameras. One video that comes to mind shows an apparition appear In the middle of a busy street. One car swerves to avoid It but goes right through it. As cars pull over it disappears and several drivers check the street puzzled.

Lots of things are believed by a great many people. But I'm interested in what can be demonstrated rather than simply just asserted.

What is an "invisible entity?" And if they're invisible, how are people supposedly seeing them?

If you can't define what a ghost is, or explain how it can be measured and tested, then you have no business assigning "ghost" or "spirit" as the cause of anything. I could just as easily say those supposed apparitions that people saw were caused by snurflebergs and have just as strong an argument as you've got.

Poltergeists and Manifestations of a spirit are a little different.

What is a poltergeist? How is it detected and measured? How is it different from a ghost or spirit?

Poltergeist activity is one that could probably be studied as these are usually the most frequent activity. A study could probably be done but, of course at the total discretion of the poltergeist. This would probably involve devices and you guessed it, video documentation, something you seem to be against which makes it impossible to even study with any validity.

Now you’re asserting that poltergeists not only exist, but also have discretion.

This is another claim that needs to be demonstrated, rather than just asserted.

I’m not against video documentation, per se, in addition to other empirical evidence. What I’m against is “video documentation” of “something” that nobody has measured or tested or anything, but simply claim is a ghost or a poltergeist or a snerfleberg.

There is quite a jump from “I saw something weird” to “it’s a poltergeist or a ghost.” There is a lot of work that needs to be done in getting from the first claim to the last one. You don’t get to just assert it.

Manifistations of unknown spirtis are random and in essence, uncontrollable. This is your shadow figures, full hauntings, demons and spirits in general. These things do not succumb to mans laws not even a little. They arent objects that man can control over to study. They can only be observed and evidenced by rigorously filming at all times. Its funny because the lore and stories go back eons but much of the current video evidence supports thats these things have always existed in the way that they are known to exist.

Now you’re claiming there are demons and shadow figures? What are those? How are they defined and measured? What’s that, they’re uncontrollable and can’t be studied? Then how on earth do you assert that they exist?

More assertions without demonstration.

Again, lore and stories about all kinds of things like leprechauns and banshees go back for centuries – that doesn’t make them true stories.

In dealing with these things you have to go by the evidence that is there, not evidence that you want presented to give your earthly perception basis in something that isn't earthly, due to lack of understanding. To be frank spirits are present but, the knowledge of them is as limited as our knowledge of the beginning of existence. However, there is a positive in that spirits can provide answers but solely at their discretion.

No, we don’t. We can and should investigate using the most successful and useful method of investigation we have available to us – the scientific method. It’s far more reliable than just asserting the thing you want to believe and declaring it to be real.

We all have “earthly perception” given that we are earth dwellers.

“Spirits are present” is an assertion that needs to be demonstrated. “Spirits can provide answers but solely at their discretion” is also an assertion that needs to be demonstrated. Of course, you’d have to define spirits and demonstrate that they exist in the first place, before you could make such a claim.

Also, if we have a lack of understanding and knowledge about a thing, then we can’t draw conclusions about it. Instead, we need to investigate further.

Video evidenc quite frankly is the best evidence of spirits since man is at the spirits descretion. The best studies are ones that observe the evidence and then scientifically decide wether it is factual or not. Any other form of evidence would be hearsay as there is no tangible way to study a spirit in the method you decribe without video documentation. To deny all video evidence before observing it is to limit your perception of any evidence at all. It would literally have to happen to you directly.

Studies that decide that things are spirits without defining what a spirit is, or that it exists in the first place aren’t helpful at all and amounts to not much more than wishful thinking.

If there is no tangible way to study and test for a spirit, then you don’t get to claim their existence. You simply couldn’t, if you were being honest. Sorry.

Video evidence of some phenomenon is one thing. But jumping to the conclusion that said phenomenon is a ghost or spirit or demon or a snerfleberg requires a lot more evidential support than just your say-so.

Someone could set out to study a poltergeist and chronical it scientifically and their findings would probably be talked about in scientific circles and aired on discovery channel... thats funny

Yes, they would be, if they could provide demonstrable, empirical evidence for such. That’s how it works.

You know, like how we know about every single other thing on this planet via the scientific method? It actually works. And it works a whole lot better than “I saw a thing and I conclude it’s a ghost, even though I haven’t defined a ghost and haven’t demonstrated that ghosts exist in the first place.” We don’t actually get to the bottom of things by just asserting the thing we want to be true.

In essence all you are really doing is explaining a mysterious thing with an even bigger mysterious thing. That doesn’t get us to actual answers.

As i said to dismiss all videos as not evidence, is to be in denial of any factual evidence subitted. You cannot know if it has any factual grounding or not until you view all of the evidence presented and judge based on the totality. If even a portion any of the totality of video evidence is factual then the truths would correlate and they do.

You keep saying there are facts but can’t even define the thing you say factually exists.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
To give an example of a small correlation. In many videos spirits can open close doors. Some videos are real and many are fake. The many videos that document said event well enough could be considered evidence after vigorous scrutiny and after total observation. Not just one or two instances but hundreds of observations of the same kind of occurence across many videos from many locations

After surveyong all of the evidence provided then you can form a true opinion of wether spirits can open/close doors.

Its also funny because skeptics almost always dismiss as strings but strings can only pull they cant turn the knob open the door and slam it shut. These instances rely on proper video documentation of the door, many times they do. Not only that but in many videos the instance is reoccuring meaning the spirit may open and close the door several times, and/or open or close multiple doors at the same time, in any one of these videos even while its undergoing confirmation documentation.

You really do need to see all the evidence
How do you get from "this door is opening and closing" to "this door is opening and closing because a spirit is opening and closing it" .... ??

When did you demonstrate that spirits exist? And when did you demonstrate that these spirits can open and close doors at will? When did you demonstrate that spirits even have will? When did you even define what a spirit is?

How can you not see all the problems with these assertions?

Did you know that snerflebergs come into your bedroom at night and put that weird sleepy goo into your eyes? I know it's true because when I go to bed at night there is no goo in my eyes, but every single morning when I wake up, there it is again. I can't think of anything else it could be. You know all the shadows you see on the walls at night? Those are snerflebergs, just waiting to pop out and put sleep goo into our eyes.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Question, why does God have to give a duck about your lack of evidence when He knows without it, and he just knows you are going to cheat love, so he might as well let you at the suffering non-believers certainly know. It’s literally stupid to not believe, because faith is assurance of life, and it can’t wait for science to prove it.

How can it ever be "stupid" to not believe something because it isn't sufficiently demonstrated to warrant believing it?