• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fathers and familiy stability data

Truth in love

Data source. Not really a debate thread. 100% free to cope from this thread into others. Just keep some context.
Life Without Father

(By David Popenoe, The Free Press, 1996)

KEY POINTS

§ Marriage and the nuclear family are the most universal social institutions in existence. Once sacred and enduring, today marriage is based on the fragile tie of affection for one's mate. A drop in the rate of marriage has kept pace with a rise in rates of divorce and out-of-wedlock pregnancy resulting in the decline of fatherhood.

• The decline of fatherhood is one of the most basic, unexpected, and extraordinary social trends of our time. This decline can be traced to the breakdown of marriage and parenthood. Unlike women, men tend to view marriage and child rearing as a single package. If their marriage deteriorates, their fathering deteriorates.

§ The effect of not having the biological father in the home is devastating to children emotionally, socially, and psychologically. Based on the research findings, a strong case can be made that paternal deprivation has become the most prevalent form of child maltreatment today. Social research traces increased levels of crime and delinquency, premature sexuality and out-of-wedlock pregnancy, the growing rates of child abuse and many other social problems to fatherlessness. Children of divorce and never-married mothers are less successful in life by almost every measure. Even remarriage and step-parenting do not heal the wounds.

§ Fathers contribute unique qualities to parenting and child development. Their special parenting style, highly complementary but different to what mothers do, is important for optimum child rearing. Children have a need for communion--to be included, connected, and related--and for agency--drive for independence, individuality, and self-fulfillment. They obtain "roots" from their mothers, and "wings" from their fathers. Communion and agency are extremely difficult for either a man or a woman alone to combine effectively.

• Sons learn how to be a man from their fathers by identifying and bonding with their fathers. Involved fathers have an enormous impact on the development of masculine character traits, and male responsibility, and achievement; how to be suitably assertive and independent; and how to relate acceptably to the opposite sex. Daughters learn, in ways they cannot from their mothers, how to relate to men; about heterosexual trust, intimacy, and difference; how to appreciate their own femininity; and that they are love worthy.
  • Fathers teach children two key character traits: self-control and empathy. People with antisocial and criminal tendencies lack both. The single-mother's predicament to provide effective parenting in this regard is borne out by social science findings. Boys who are father deprived early in life are likely to engage later in rigidly over compensatory masculine behaviors. The incidence of crimes against property and people, including child abuse and family violence, is relatively high in societies where the rearing of young children is considered to be an exclusively female endeavor.

§ Research conclusions include:

• For men, more than for women, marriage and parenthood are strongly interlinked. Men need cultural pressure to stay engaged with their children, and that cultural pressure has long been called marriage.
  • Fathers have a unique and irreplaceable role to play in child development. Fathers are not merely would-be mothers. The two sexes are different to the core, and each is necessary—culturally as well as biologically—for the optimal development of a human being.
  • The most important and enduring dimension of fathering has to do with a child's feelings. Children need to feel recognized and accepted by their fathers; they need to feel that they are special.
  • More than just needing their fathers, children need a committed male and female couple--a mother and a father in a joint partnership—to provide them with dependable and enduring love and attention at least during their growing-up years.
  • Biological fathers are more likely to be committed to the upbringing of their own children than are non-biological fathers. Human beings invest more readily in genetically related persons than in non-related persons. Being a father is much more than merely playing a social role. Engaged biological fathers care profoundly and selflessly about their own children, and such fatherly love is not something that can be transferred easily or learned from a script.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Life Without Father
By David Popenoe

Marriage and Fatherhood

§ Fatherhood problem - fatherhood is essential but also somewhat problematic.(4)

• Marriage is a relationship within which a community socially approves and encourages sexual intercourse and the birth of children.(4) Vows of fidelity and permanence are universally part of the wedding ceremony, the purpose of which is to hold the man to the union.(5)
  • Marriage by itself, without the presence of children, certainly constitutes one major civilizing force for men. As stated in the wedding vows, men are expected to remain faithful and responsible. There is no other institution save religion, which places such moral demands on men. With the continued growth of fatherlessness we can expect to see a nation of men who are at worst morally out of control and at best unhappy, unhealthy, and unfulfilled?(76)
  • "Epidemiological studies and social surveys have shown that marriage has a civilizing effect independent of the selection factor (men who are willing to marry already have civilized virtues). It is not just that particularly healthy and competent and morally upright persons are more likely to marry, but that marriage actually promotes health, competence, virtue, and personal well-being.” *(76)
  • "To father a child," unlike "to mother a child," typically refers to a biological act.(19)
§ Family life—marriage and childbearing-is an extremely important civilizing force for men. Family men must develop habits of character including prudence, cooperativeness, honesty, trust, and self-sacrifice. Marriage notably focuses male sexual energy, and having children typically impresses on men the importance of setting a good example. There is a civilizing effect for men in merely being in the company of women and children, an environment, which typically promotes life-enhancing values. Association with single men, in contrast, tends to generate risk taking, aggression, and violence.(75)

• In one of Cleveland's rough inner-city neighborhoods Responsible Fatherhood and Family Revitalization has reunited over 2,000 absent, unwed fathers with their children. Contrary to the standard theory of first finding a man a job in order to make him into a responsible father, this project has focused on convincing these men of the importance of being a good father resulting in *(76)-
- Increase from 12% being employed full-time to 62% with another 12% employed part-time. (76)

- 97% began to provide financial support for their children. (76)

- 71% had no additional children out of wedlock.*(76)

Male-Female Differences

§ Men are not biologically as attuned to being committed parents as are women. That this is so is not to say that fathering behavior is foreign to the nature of men. Far from it.(4)

§ "Scientists are discovering that gender differences have as much to do with the biology of the brain as with the way we are raised.”* The time has come to view all human behavior as representing a combination of biological and sociocultural forces.(10)

§ Trait differences include-

• Aggression and activity level; cognitive skills; sensory sensitivity; sexual and reproductive behavior.(10)
  • While male proficiency rests with "things and theorems," female proficiency rests with personal relationships.(11)
  • Females most want to be "cherished" by their mates, males most want to be "needed" by theirs.(141)
§ Differences in fathering and mothering behaviors include-

• Mothers are more able to read an infant's facial expressions, handle with tactile gentleness, soothe with the use of voice.*(11)
  • Mothers provide comfort and emotional acceptance with toddlers while men are more active and arousing in nurturing activities, foster certain physical skills and emphasize autonomy and independence. (11)
  • With older children fathers play is more likely to involve a rough-and-tumble approach.* Mothers tend to be responsive, fathers firm; mothers stress emotional security and relationships, fathers’ competition and risk taking; mothers express more concern for the child's immediate well-being, fathers concern for the child's long-run autonomy and independence.(12)
§ Both approaches are important for children in developing the need for affiliation with others while learning also to be independent. They need both "roots" and "wings"; one parent who encourages to risk, another who comforts when they fall short.(12)

§ Men and women can take on each other's part. However, most men and women are not predisposed or well-motivated to take on even temporarily the behavior and attitudes of the other sex. Most children want and need and can easily detect the real thing. Fatherless children are therefore at a distinct disadvantage. (12)

Decline of Marriage

§ "Till death do us part" has been replaced by "so long as I am happy."(24) Marriage, once both sacred and economically essential for survival, is today based on the fragile tie of affection for one's mate.(5)

§ Whatever their marital state, when women bear children, they generally assume responsibility for those children and continue to care for them over the course of their lives. For men, this is not the case. Men tend to view marriage and child rearing as a single package. If their marriage deteriorates, their fathering deteriorates.*(25)

o Time spent in family went from 19.4 years in 1960 to 15.7 years in 1980.(26)

§ Marital decline can be attributed to several changes in society(39)—

o Change in sexual mores resulting in among other things, increased premarital sexual intercourse.(39)

o Increased availability of contraceptive devices and abortions.(39)

o Trend toward later marriages and postponed first births have accelerated.(39)

o Women relinquishing traditional mother/housewife roles.(39)

o Easing of legal divorce restrictions.(39)

o Growth of non-marital cohabitation.(39)

- 1960 - 2% of adults cohabiting; 1990 - 8% of men and 7% of women; today - 20-24%.(41)

- Marriages preceded by cohabitation = 49% (in 1985-1986; this was 8% in 1960s)

- The rise of non-marital cohabitation has hurt more than helped the institution of marriage. A quarter has no plans to marry their partners. Half of cohabiting couples have children present. These couples are more likely to break up than married couples; obligations that go with legal marriage are more difficult to enforce.(41)

- Living together is associated with proneness for later divorces. It may be because cohabitation-prone and divorce-prone are one and the same group of tradition challengers.(42)

- Some believe cohabitation increases the chances of eventual divorce.(42)

o Reduction in legal, social, and religious penalties and stigma directed at children of unmarried parents.(39)

o Attitude regarding marriage: "It is not really so important anymore.(39)

o Social changes including—

- Economic changes including women's employment opportunities, and earning ability.(43)

- Government incentives that reward people for being unmarried rather than married. This "welfare effect" is relatively modest (5.4% of population is receiving subsidies through AFDC).(44)

- Pushing aside traditional "Victorian" values of self-sacrifice, commitment to others, and institutional obligation, and adopting self-fulfillment as the dominant life goal. One of the reasons is the decline in institutional (church, government, education, and especially marriage) confidence.(45)

- Development of an anti-institutional frame of mind and skepticism of authority.(46)

- Development of an overly individualistic society resulting in personal alienation and a breakdown in social control of individual behavior.(48)

§ Black-white differential. Black family life appears to be a precursor of what family life is likely to become for the rest of the population.(26)
Aha! The mask slips!

So, this is all about race, eh?

Again.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Truth in love

It's basically an opinion piece from a very conservative, limited and narrow-minded viewpoint. imho.
Aha! The mask slips!

So, this is all about race, eh?

Again.

what
*Puts in North American Politics section*

I'm not reading all this. Make summary points, please.

the summary is that stable intact families is the best envious for kids, men and women. It lowers rates of poverty, crime childhood trauma etc.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I suspect, since there's similar data for motherless households, that growing up in a financially stable household with responsible adults caring for the needs of the children is always going to yield better results for the children.

Given that the traditional human family involves multiple generations, extended family, and other trusted adults that may not be related, homes should not just disclude the father, but also the mother, grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts, friends of the family, mom's boyfriend, dad's boyfriend, the farmhand, etc.

But, since 'Murica is based on the nuclear family alone, once dad leaves for his mistress or gets kicked out for abuse, or the mom dies in childbirth (an unfortunately higher possibility in the US), or poverty leads to criminal behavior or deprivation of child needs, American children have to do the best they can.

But American children are independent. Slap a Marlboro in their mouth, a Colt on their hip, and soon they'll be making it big on Wall Street!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I suspect, since there's similar data for motherless households
Is there, really? And how common are motherless households compared to fatherless? Oh, I think I have an idea so don't bother to estimate.

I don't see what the point was with the rather tone-deaf sarcasm, either. This is a very sad topic.

Truth in love

I suspect, since there's similar data for motherless households, that growing up in a financially stable household with responsible adults caring for the needs of the children is always going to yield better results for the children.

Given that the traditional human family involves multiple generations, extended family, and other trusted adults that may not be related, homes should not just disclude the father, but also the mother, grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts, friends of the family, mom's boyfriend, dad's boyfriend, the farmhand, etc.

But, since 'Murica is based on the nuclear family alone, once dad leaves for his mistress or gets kicked out for abuse, or the mom dies in childbirth (an unfortunately higher possibility in the US), or poverty leads to criminal behavior or deprivation of child needs, American children have to do the best they can.

But American children are independent. Slap a Marlboro in their mouth, a Colt on their hip, and soon they'll be making it big on Wall Street!

poverty does not cause crime. It’s common myth, but it’s been debunked.
Additional family can help, but to trying to replace dad with grandma aunt etc all goes worse for the kids.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Is there, really? And how common are motherless households compared to fatherless? Oh, I think I have an idea so don't bother to estimate.

I don't see what the point was with the rather tone-deaf sarcasm, either. This is a very sad topic.

It is a sad topic and I apologize if my post comes off as tone deaf. The sarcasm come from the stark reality of it; I work with kiddos from broken homes. I see the impact of it every day.

But the issue is often used to justify conservative ideas of a nuclear family that can't be realized in modern America. A community approach is the more viable option where social and economic supports can help families impacted. We should also begin to study and educate folks on how diverse family structures (including LGBTQ+, poly, and non-romantic) play a role in communities.

The sarcasm was meant to juxtapose the American mythology of the independent American cowboy with the nostalgia of the 1950s Leave it to Beaver family.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
poverty does not cause crime. It’s common myth, but it’s been debunked.
Additional family can help, but to trying to replace dad with grandma aunt etc all goes worse for the kids.

Has it been debunked? I think it is more that sociologists throw data and studies at each other. In other words, there's support for both sides meaning the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Given that there is data to support the influence of poverty on crime (or at least crime that typically ends in incarceration or death which is skewed towards the poor end of the class system given rich folk have the means to evade the justice system), it can't be ignored when talking about single parent households in a country where even two working parent households may still be making enough to put them at the poverty level.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I've been googling this guy and his work. Im not sure the data youve provided has been peer reviewed a lot of the guy's work hasn't been. Could you show me if the data you have here has been peer reviewed?

Life Without Father

(By David Popenoe, The Free Press, 1996
This is also some very old data. I'm going to ignore how old it is as you said not a debate thread. Just wondering if the data has been peer reviewed. I'll worry about if I can find more up to date data elsewhere

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Going to post the same thing I did in the other thread.

I'm not going to go point by point because a copy paste op-ed book entry isn't going to get an essay out of me. But I will say this:

The notion that forced gender roles relating to fatherhood (or motherhood) is constructive let alone essential to child development has been thoroughly debunked by literal decades of research into gay parenting. Kids of gay parents do not preform socially, economically, scholastically or in relationships worse than kids of heterosexual parents. Nor do they have higher instances of crime.
Same-sex Parents and Their Children

So we know from the start that the problem isn't absent male gender roles.
What is a problem, and what all this data more easily correlates to, is economic status. Since it's more rare for single-parents to be above poverty lines consistently. Especially single moms since gender pay gaps and workplace discrimination towards mothers exist.