• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fast food worker confessions?

ScottySatan

I'd like to hear some confessions of fast food workers about the practices at your place. I wonder if it would be more kosher if we keep from naming names. I can start.

When I was a teenager I spent a year working at a major international fast food burger chain. I have to say that there were no real hazards or anything really gross, but here's a secret.

I became aware almost immediately that people would put in special orders like no pickle to get a fresher sandwich. But people, you need to know that there are TWO places where your food sits and waits. One is a complete sandwich under the heat lamp waiting to be ordered, but there, the sandwiches are fairly well protected. The sandwich wrappings and the condiments and veggies keep the thing from drying out. The OTHER place the food waits has a much bigger effect on your food quality. After the burger patties are cooked, they sit in a tray in a warmer, open to the air. Hot, dry air. There is a timer involved and you have to throw the food away when it expires, but when time is up, the patty is already tough and dry. It was very common practice for us to reset the timers 1-5 times. Not because we were lazy, but because it was incredibly wasteful. We would be reprimanded for wasting so much food. But if we put fewer patties in the warmers, customers had a longer wait, which was a more serious offence. We got good at covertly resetting these timers: we could do it with 30 seconds left on the clock so management wouldn't hear the alarm. We even did it during major corporate inspections and they didn't notice. Your special orders came from the same old patties in the warmer as the rest.

Despite the very hard work the corporation put into consistency, this place has the biggest hit or miss variation in food quality of anywhere you could eat because of this.

So if you want a fresh burger at a place that keeps ready made sandwiches waiting, a special order really doesn't help. You should instead go when they're busy and there's a high product turnover. Don't go when it's dead, like in the middle of the night. The crew is busy cleaning, not grilling up new patties just in case a drunk dude shows up randomly at 2am. If you're desperate, deep fried things resist drying out a lot better than anything else.

For the same reason, I recommend you get the food that the place is known for. The menu item that you know a lot of people are going to order. It'll have a higher turnover. Unless they're really busy, don't get something weird. in fast food, that generally means the healthier items.

Last edited:

ScottySatan

At Subway, they makes me sammiches right in front of me.
That's the way to go.

yeah. I like that you can make a judgement on the spot there whether individual items are fresh enough, they're usually pretty good. Their bread is weird though. Unnatural smell. And I liked tuna sandwiches but that's unpopular, usually dried out from age and makes me fear for my life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
yeah. I like that you can make a judgement on the spot there whether individual items are fresh enough, they're usually pretty good. Their bread is weird though. Unnatural smell. And I liked tuna sandwiches but that's unpopular, usually dried out from age and makes me fear for my life.
I had a bad experience with a tuna sub somewhere else decades ago.
No tuna for me. Of course, you know that....I almost always get a toasted BLT.
Broiled bacon never turns on ya!

ScottySatan

We've got to be careful around that tuna, Satanists and Scots don't get into heaven, so we want to stay alive as long as we can.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I had a bad experience with a tuna sub somewhere else decades ago.
No tuna for me. Of course, you know that....I almost always get a toasted BLT.
Broiled bacon never turns on ya!
I wouldn't judge today's tuna by yesterday's standards, Revoltingest. Today's tuna contains enough mercury and pesticide residue to keep it fresh much longer than the 'untreated' fish of yore.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I once worked at an international pizza chain restaurant. Sometimes, we didnt wash our hands before going to make the pizzas :eek:

Sometimes, if we forgot a certain topping that went on top of the cheese (like jalapeno peppers) and realized it after the pizza was out of the oven, we would put the peppers in the oven, half way, and then just put them on top of the pizza afterward.

When folding boxes, we would often go ahead and fold the odd box that fell, face-first (inside first) on the floor.

The cutting table, which regularly came in contact with green peppers and tomatoes, as well as a couple stray pepperonis, was rarely actually sanitized at the end of the night, just rinsed and washed off with water.

We even used cheese that was scraped off the floor to make special "aged mozzarella" pizzas :eek: (not really)

Our particular store was a bit of a problem store, actually. We weren't the worst, but we were pretty lax when it came to certain rules.

ScottySatan

The cutting table, which regularly came in contact with green peppers and tomatoes, as well as a couple stray pepperonis, was rarely actually sanitized at the end of the night, just rinsed and washed off with water.

I wonder if the baking took care of that hazard?

dust1n

Zindīq
At Subway, they makes me sammiches right in front of me.
That's the way to go.

Well, it's not really made it right in front of ya. The last stop in the process is showing how the individual components are assembled. It'd be like watching the last components of a car being put together, but without any knowledge where or how the parts are created. It's not like yellow #5 is delicately ladled unto the banana peppers 'til you say when.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm sad that only 'fast' food workers are invited to tell their tales. Our Health and Hygiene secret-customer teams and inspectors catch out many top restaurants carrying out the most unhygienic practices. Our large fast food companies have stepped up to high standards these days...... they had to, because they were in the firing line in the past.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, it's not really made it right in front of ya. The last stop in the process is showing how the individual components are assembled. It'd be like watching the last components of a car being put together, but without any knowledge where or how the parts are created. It's not like yellow #5 is delicately ladled unto the banana peppers 'til you say when.
Yer over-think'n it, bub. Order a Subway sub & watch'm make it. Then
order a McD burger, & watch them not make it. You'll see what I mean.

dust1n

Zindīq
Hmm, I've worked everything from fast-food pizza, to ma and pa joints, to 5 star restaurants. Generally speaking, thanks to food inspection, the lack of hygiene is not so much bad as the actual food itself, the general monopolies various companies have on distribution, the rampant drug use. I'd say working in kitchens of any sorts ends up being a kids strongest connection to drugs nows-a-day if the ended up working in those parts, at least where I waddled about as a kid.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sad that only 'fast' food workers are invited to tell their tales. Our Health and Hygiene secret-customer teams and inspectors catch out many top restaurants carrying out the most unhygienic practices. Our large fast food companies have stepped up to high standards these days...... they had to, because they were in the firing line in the past.
In high school, I made pizzas at a restaurant. We were in full view of the diners, but I often
thought the shrimp was questionable. It's good that those things were well cooked.

dust1n

Zindīq
Yer over-think'n it, bub. Order a Subway sub & watch'm make it. Then
order a McD burger, & watch them not make it. You'll see what I mean.

Sure. I'd say Subway outgrew McD worldwide partially because they are successful at maintaining the illusion of health, despite the fact health involves more than caloric intake.

Subway probably is leaps and bounds and better than McD's. One of the fortunate things about Texas is that one can nearly all food products, amongst other things, within the state level, city level, or even community level.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I worked in a cafe part time in university. No confessions about hygiene - the only problems there had to do with poor business decisions.

The basement of the cafe was filled with boxes and boxes of self-help video tapes produced by a friend of the owners who fancied himself a motivational speaker. We had them out for sale in the cafe - nobody even asked about them, let alone bought one.

It took them three months to get me on payroll instead of paying me out of petty cash.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure. I'd say Subway outgrew McD worldwide partially because they are successful at maintaining the illusion of health....
Illusion? Hah! My subs are loaded with healthy veggies on whole wheat bread.
What fast food joint offers a better sammich? You're a Subwayphobe!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a kid in Chicago there was a fairly famous ice cream shop called "The Buffalo".

I never worked there but I knew people who did, and the story that sticks out in my mind is the one about taking dead roaches off the floor, grinding them up, and throwing them in with the chocolate sprinkles.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Illusion? Hah! My subs are loaded with healthy veggies on whole wheat bread.
What fast food joint offers a better sammich? You're a Subwayphobe!

Probably not Firehouse, but I like it a lot. They don't got the ol' Jimmy Johns up there? I wouldn't disagree with ya that subway (assuming one is getting vegetables and whole wheat bread, and thats about it) might be the best you might get from the biggies.

Here in Austin though, you can get legit sandwiches at a cheaper price than Subway. Fast food has slowly crept up to the point of priciness (yup, I made it up). A torta with pretty much anything on it and a drink would run six even.