• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast food price increse

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't eat much fast food but....

I bought a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit from Hardees back in December 2023 and it was $3.49 after tax.

I bought a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit from Hardees yesterday and it was $4.57 after tax.

I was like did you ring it up wrong or did the price increase that much? She said all prices went up at the first of the year. I said a $1.08 is a big jump for a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit lol

Makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the California raise that started at the first of the year.
Raise prices everywhere to help offset the cost of that raise to $20 per hour for fast food.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

I bought a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit from Hardees back in December 2023 and it was $3.49 after tax.

I bought a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit from Hardees yesterday and it was $4.57 after tax.

I was like did you ring it up wrong or did the price increase that much? She said all prices went up at the first of the year. I said a $1.08 is a big jump for a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit lol

Makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the California raise that started at the first of the year.
Raise prices everywhere to help offset the cost of that raise to $20 per hour for fast food.
Wow! A whole roasted chicken is only $5 at Ralph's deli today.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

That's probably only a small piece of the pie.

"Large grocery store chains exploited product shortages during the pandemic by raising prices significantly more than needed to cover their added costs and they continue to reap excessive profits, according to a Federal Trade Commission report.

The grocery giants also used their marketing power and leverage to widen their advantage over smaller competitors, according to the report, titled “Feeding America in a Time of Crisis.” "

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

"Large grocery store chains exploited product shortages during the pandemic by raising prices significantly more than needed to cover their added costs and they continue to reap excessive profits, according to a Federal Trade Commission report.

The grocery giants also used their marketing power and leverage to widen their advantage over smaller competitors, according to the report, titled “Feeding America in a Time of Crisis.” "

I noticed that for quite some time, retailers would explain everything away as "because of Covid". Sometimes it made sense, but as time went on, it didn't. "We regret to charge you triple the amount for a tomato, but it's 'cause of Covid." But then the store across the street would be reasonable...

We Never Know

No Slack

A lot of places exploited covid with high prices back when it was at its peak and for a time after.
2024 price hikes aren't because of covid IMO.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Fast food in my local area is 12 to 14 bucks just for one combo meal.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A lot of places exploited covid with high prices back when it was at its peak and for a time after.
2024 price hikes aren't because of covid IMO.
The whole world had a lot of inflation due to covid. There were all sorts of government payouts everywhere, not just in the US. And they were not covered by taxes. That causes inflation which is a hidden tax. It makes the cash that you have worth less. It can also move a person up into a higher tax bracket without an increase in quality of life. Like it or not we are still suffering from the aftermath of Covid.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Wow! A whole roasted chicken is only $5 at Ralph's deli today.
There is a truck with a rotisserie trailer outside the court house here that sells whole rotisserie chickens for $3 and half chickens for $2...

Apparently they dislike coinage.....

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Santa Barbara CA.

They have it here every Thursday.
I have noticed that we have higher grocery prices up here than in California and it is probably a cost of shipping problem. We import food but do not export much. That means when it comes to shipping costs we must often pay for the costs of the various trucks and containers to come here full and leave empty. Agriculture is huge in California so if there is an empty truck no one has to pay for it to go back empty. It just goes out to the fields and loads up with produce.

The receiver has to pay at least to have the goods sent to them. But owners will not allow their trucks to sit empty forever so if there is no load we have to pay to have them return to the source too. And California is much closer to a lot of the produce too. There are a few things that we probably get cheaper. Salmon. Dungeness crabs. and other northern seafood.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I spent 20 years in the fast food industry, and I've been telling people since the whole doubling minimum wage discussion began that they could expect price increase directly proportional to COGS.

The prices to produce the raw ingredients increase, so the plate cost increases. Combining this with the increase cost in labor, the cost is passed on to the consumer. At the end of the day, we've move nowhere, because the people who just received this wage increase find themselves spending that additional money on the price of goods and net no disposable income.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The whole world had a lot of inflation due to covid. There were all sorts of government payouts everywhere, not just in the US. And they were not covered by taxes. That causes inflation which is a hidden tax. It makes the cash that you have worth less. It can also move a person up into a higher tax bracket without an increase in quality of life. Like it or not we are still suffering from the aftermath of Covid.
It's a consequence of a fiat economy where people think money just endlessly bangs out of the mint without a care in the world.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not only fast food and not only California. I've noticed that the price of some (quite a few) items on my shopping list have
have sky rocketed this year.
Example, washing machine soap, from €8.50 to €13.00 this year.
Coffee pods, from €3.80 to €5.00 (or more)

Inflation is a bugger when there is a war or two going on.

PureX

Veteran Member

That's what the capitalists want us to believe, so we'll blame the workers (each other). But in fact it's just their own greed. They didn't raise wages, they just increased profits to themselves.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a consequence of a fiat economy where people think money just endlessly bangs out of the mint without a care in the world.
It's the consequence of an economic system that promotes, enables, and rewards greed at every turn. California forced the capitalists in California to raise wages, so they are of course punishing the consumers for it. And blaming the workers. But no where else did, so no wages were increased enywhere else. Those price increases are just pure greed. And the increase will go strait into the capitalists pockets. Not to the workers they want us to blame.