• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating experiment

Forkie

Sir, to you.
Just thought I'd bring this to the attention of those who didn't have the fortune of watching it when it aired in the UK a few weeks ago. The BBC's "Horizons" has been going for many years and concentrates on scientific topics ranging from black holes to ageing to economics and they did this wonderful episode about the domestic dog.

A particularly interesting part of this episode was the experiment in Siberia with Silver Foxes exploring how dogs are so "in tune" with humans and are so tame.

Watch this one from about 7:35:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYV9rbERLC4

And then the rest of the experiment in part 5 of the episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4efKgf33KFw

It's truly fascinating to see how the tamest ones are selected to breed and then how the fox is affected physically after many generations.

However, I would highly recommend watching the whole show (about 1 hour), it's in 6 parts and can be found in the recommended videos box on the right of the screen.

There's a truly amazing Border Collie in it who has learned to recognise 2D picture representations of her toys and collect them from a separate room. It also talks extensively about dog intelligence in general.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I saw that show here on PBS a couple of months ago. Fascinating example of how domestic dogs and humans evolved together.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting how selecting for a single, particular characteristic can alter so many others as well, and in just a few generations.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I've always liked this experiment...and I must admit I want a fox. :cool:

What I find really interesting is how docility is essentially a paedomorphic trait... that is a juvenile feature. Which makes sense as juveniles have to be subordinate to their parents and fearful of strange adults.

wa:do

Forkie

Sir, to you.
It seems this video has been removed from YouTube within the last 24 hrs. Bummer, what are the chances?

Gabethewiking

Evidence against Creationism perhaps? So the video is discriminating against the True Christian Religion, perfectly logical to remove it... A bummer as I was on my way to see it :(

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The story is well known and has been widely publicised. You could probably find it on another site, Forkie.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What is the point of this post? It doesn't prove common descent of all life forms.

It was a fascinating experiment demonstrating how domestic dogs evolved alongside humankind into a loose symbiotic relationship.

Why you would invoke "common descent of all lifeforms" into this experiment is beyond me.
Is it because you feel threatened by any successful evolutionary test?

Man of Faith

It was a fascinating experiment demonstrating how domestic dogs evolved alongside humankind into a loose symbiotic relationship.

Why you would invoke "common descent of all lifeforms" into this experiment is beyond me.
Is it because you feel threatened by any successful evolutionary test?

No, I believe in evolution. That is not the debate. The debate is with creation vs common descent. I guess people don't understand that.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
No, I believe in evolution. That is not the debate. The debate is with creation vs common descent. I guess people don't understand that.
Not in this thread. Perhaps you should read over it again, rather than jump in trying to start an unrelated debate.

Man of Faith

Not in this thread. Perhaps you should read over it again, rather than jump in trying to start an unrelated debate.

I'm just asking the OP how this relates to the creation vs evolution debate. What are they trying to show. Maybe there is something about the creation position they don't understand.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I'm just asking the OP how this relates to the creation vs evolution debate. What are they trying to show. Maybe there is something about the creation position they don't understand.
The study was an experiment in evolutionary theory. Showing how domestic dogs evolved from wild dogs.
While you may accept this small bit of evolution, others do not.
If you do not see a problem with the evidence shown, then you have nothing to debate.