• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falvlun the Lemur Mod!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Earthbending lemur, at your service.

So, um, yeah. I like Oreos. And hiking. And I have a suspicion that my dog is cooler than me. I mean, look at him:
drummondislandcorp.jpg

That is one cool cucumber.

Anyway, I also have an incredible weakness for frantically typing lots of words into a particular internet forum which discusses religion, and politics, and basically anything else you ever wanted to talk about. Strange. I know.

If ya got any questions for me, I might find some answers for you. Oreo bribes are accepted.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Religious beliefs?
I suppose that is a relevant detail. :D

For most of my life, I was a hardcore Christian. But, my world was turned upside down my freshman year in college when I suddenly lost the ability to believe: First Christianity, then belief in the existence of God. I am fascinated by religion, and continue to keep my eyes open for things that ring true. Currently, I am not affiliated with any religion, and consider myself an agnostic atheist.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I suppose that is a relevant detail. :D

For most of my life, I was a hardcore Christian. But, my world was turned upside down my freshman year in college when I suddenly lost the ability to believe: First Christianity, then belief in the existence of God. I am fascinated by religion, and continue to keep my eyes open for things that ring true. Currently, I am not affiliated with any religion, and consider myself an agnostic atheist.

Hehe, well guess we got something in common there.

I was Hardcore catholic, but after time and experience of different kinds I understood my beliefs and "faiths" were elsewhere. First I stop being a catholic, then stop being a christian then stopped believing in God as a separate entity.

I am passionate abut religion, and keep my eyes oprn for things that ring true to me too :D Currently I am not restraint by any religion, but I consider myself a polytheistic curious panentheist. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For most of my life, I was a hardcore Christian. But, my world was turned upside down my freshman year in college when I suddenly lost the ability to believe: First Christianity, then belief in the existence of God.
What caused the change, if you don't mind me asking?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What caused the change, if you don't mind me asking?
Not at all, Peng.

Basically, I came across an issue with Christianity-- something I called the Foundational Problem-- that I just couldn't shake. It was the idea that Christianity is not fair, that everyone doesn't have an equal chance at salvation. After struggling with the idea for a couple months, I realized I could no longer be a Christian. I just couldn't accept it anymore. And once you're outside the belief system, looking in, things just started crumbling. After a couple more months, I realized that without Christianity, I really had no reason to believe that God existed. That was a tough one. But again, once the thought was in my head, I couldn't shake it. I couldn't make myself return to believing that he existed. The whole process took about a year. It rocked my little world.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Hehe, well guess we got something in common there.

I was Hardcore catholic, but after time and experience of different kinds I understood my beliefs and "faiths" were elsewhere. First I stop being a catholic, then stop being a christian then stopped believing in God as a separate entity.

I am passionate abut religion, and keep my eyes oprn for things that ring true to me too :D Currently I am not restraint by any religion, but I consider myself a polytheistic curious panentheist. :D
:cool: Cool.

I tend to have pagan-ish/polytheistic tendencies, too, particularly regarding the sun and the ocean. Their raw power and necessity just leaves me in awe; and sometimes even close to a state of, well, worship.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
How many lemurs does it take to change a light bulb?
2.5. Yes, it's an awkward number. And because no one wants to be the 0.5, lightbulbs don't get changed much around these parts. We're working on it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Hey there Momo, remember me?
Content_Aang.png

:D Anyway, what made you join RF?
How could I forget such a cute face? :D

As for RF, it was just a little bit of everything. The impetus was the 2008 presidential elections. I became an internet news junkie and developed a liking for debating in the comments section.The religious discussions held particular fascinating to me, but they were few and far between. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and went looking for a forum. This one caught my eye immediately, since it didn't favor any religion over the others, and because it had vibrant political and current event sections as well.

It's been a wonderful experience, and I'm happy for the chance to give a little back. :)

Renji

Cool, Momo. :D I'm actually asking this question to other mods: How do you wish to contribute here in RF now that you're a mod already and how can you make this forum better (I think the forum is already great)?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
First off, congrats on being a mod! I wish you the best of luck in making this a better place for all of us. :)

Why are you using a lemur as an avatar, out of all animals?
What do you think is the coolest-looking microscopic creature?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Cool, Momo. :D I'm actually asking this question to other mods: How do you wish to contribute here in RF now that you're a mod already and how can you make this forum better (I think the forum is already great)?

Mostly I just want to be part of keeping it rolling as smoothly as it has been. I was an RA (resident assistant) at my university and I felt my role in that capacity was to let my residents live their lives, as the adults they now were. They knew I was available for them whenever they needed me. And they also knew that I would leave them alone as long as they didn't stir up trouble or blatantly break the rules. That's the same sort of vibe I want here: laid back, here if you need me, but willing to lay down the law if the "residents" get a little too rowdy.

I don't have any fancy ideas for making the place better as of now, but it'll be something I think about in the time to come.

Good questions, Aang... I mean, Lawrence!

Renji

Mostly I just want to be part of keeping it rolling as smoothly as it has been. I was an RA (resident assistant) at my university and I felt my role in that capacity was to let my residents live their lives, as the adults they now were. They knew I was available for them whenever they needed me. And they also knew that I would leave them alone as long as they didn't stir up trouble or blatantly break the rules. That's the same sort of vibe I want here: laid back, here if you need me, but willing to lay down the law if the "residents" get a little too rowdy.

I don't have any fancy ideas for making the place better as of now, but it'll be something I think about in the time to come.

Good questions, Aang... I mean, Lawrence!

Cool and interesting answers Momo. And yeah, congrats being a mod.:p

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
First off, congrats on being a mod! I wish you the best of luck in making this a better place for all of us. :)

Why are you using a lemur as an avatar, out of all animals?
What do you think is the coolest-looking microscopic creature?
DS! :woohoo:

Thanks for the lucky wishes. I think I'm gonna need 'em.... :cover:

The lemur meaning is two-fold.
1) My actual avatar is Momo, from the Nikelodeon kids' cartoon series Avatar: the Last Airbender, which was one of the most enjoyable series I've watched in a while. Momo is a cute furry flying lemur that has a penchant for getting himself into trouble.

2) Lemurs are freakin' awesome. The represent an early split from the primates, due to isolation on the island of Madagascar. Lemurs come in many different sizes, behavior patterns, and diet preferences to accommodate a large variety of ecological niches. Many species are impressive acrobats, leaping through trees and clinging to vines. All species are adorable. What's not to love? Unfortunately, due to human activity (including that of aboriginal peoples), many species have gone extinct, and many more are endangered. Anyway, yeah, I'm into lemurs. (Also, can you think of a word that is more fun to say than "lemur"? I didn't think so!)

There's no debate about your last question. It is universally accepted that the coolest microscopic animal is the tardigrade, also known as the "water bear".

tardigrade.jpg

Tardigrade literally means "slow walker"... I unfortunately have never seen one alive to see whether this is true or not. (My lab partner managed to kill all of his.) These things can live basically anywhere on Earth, in the most extreme environments. They can even survive the vacuum of space! Now you got me all geeked out about them. :p

Interesting Falv factoid: I considered using Tardigrade as my username, but decided to stick with my tried and true Falvlun. :)

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
2) Lemurs are freakin' awesome. The represent an early split from the primates, due to isolation on the island of Madagascar. Lemurs come in many different sizes, behavior patterns, and diet preferences to accommodate a large variety of ecological niches. Many species are impressive acrobats, leaping through trees and clinging to vines. All species are adorable. What's not to love? Unfortunately, due to human activity (including that of aboriginal peoples), many species have gone extinct, and many more are endangered. Anyway, yeah, I'm into lemurs. (Also, can you think of a word that is more fun to say than "lemur"? I didn't think so!)
I don't know if it's still there, but when I was a kid, the Toronto Zoo had a lemur-themed jungle gym. It was made up of challenges to see if you could make a good lemur... swinging, jumping, etc. I passed; apparently, I would make a good lemur.

... If I wasn't a penguin, of course. :)

I know that's not really a question, but it's a bit of lemur-related trivia that I thought you might want to know. :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't know if it's still there, but when I was a kid, the Toronto Zoo had a lemur-themed jungle gym. It was made up of challenges to see if you could make a good lemur... swinging, jumping, etc. I passed; apparently, I would make a good lemur.

... If I wasn't a penguin, of course. :)

I know that's not really a question, but it's a bit of lemur-related trivia that I thought you might want to know. :D
Greatest idea ever! That's it. I'm road tripping it to Toronto!

(Also, I always suspected you had a lemur-soul inside your cute penguiny exterior.)