• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What is Faith other then a term created to make people believe in something that cannot be proven.

Then the term is used to bring guilt upon one who intelligently questions that which is beyond the five senses and does not feel the Faith.

Feeling little faith one then fears asking questions because they may be ridiculed for not yet believing certain stories.

Faith forces compliance and subjugation to something rather then a search for facts.

A man may hold a stone in his hand, he refuses to open the hand and insists you have faith he holds it.

Unless he opens the hand why believe.
Your going no where fast if you do not properly define the word "faith" and give the context.

In this forum the primary context is religious faith. Within that context "faith" means to grant intellectual consent to a proposition for which absolute proof is not accessible. Actually you can use that definition of faith in all contexts because outside a few propositions like "I exist" every other claim to knowledge is based on faith. Tell me anything you know for a certainty beyond the facts that you think and exist.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
What is Faith other then a term created to make people believe in something that cannot be proven.

Then the term is used to bring guilt upon one who intelligently questions that which is beyond the five senses and does not feel the Faith.

Feeling little faith one then fears asking questions because they may be ridiculed for not yet believing certain stories.

Faith forces compliance and subjugation to something rather then a search for facts.

A man may hold a stone in his hand, he refuses to open the hand and insists you have faith he holds it.

We all believe in something we can't prove. To acknowlege our faith is to simply acknowledge those beliefs as such. That's a very good thing

Blind faith is faith which does not recognize itself, but claims undeniable fact, which in turn leads to assumptions of inherent superiority- intellectual and otherwise, 'justifying' an authoritative stance on that belief... that's where the problems usually start!

dianaiad

Faith isn't remotely like that. "Faith" is about the believer, not the thing believed in, for one thing. It doesn't matter one whit whether the thing one has faith in may be 'proven' empirically or not.

Faith, in short, is the willingness to behave as if the thing one believes to be true IS true. That's it. Faith is NOT belief, though faith requires at least a little belief as a foundation. Belief, however, even strong belief, isn't always sufficient.

My sister will not cross a bridge. At all. She'd rather swim the river, ford the stream, take a ferry, go fifty miles out of her way...not go at all...whatever it takes so that she doesn't cross one. The ironic thing is, her husband is a metal fatigue expert. He can show her from design to material strength that a bridge she needs to cross is SAFE. Doesn't matter. She believes him, intellectually. She admits that her feelings about bridges (most of them) is irrational. Doesn't matter. She doesn't trust them.

She has no faith in them.

On the other hand, I know an evangelical who was told, a few years ago, that the best way to handle his diabetes was to pray, eat only certain things, and to trust the preacher who told him what to do. Now this preacher had no medical training. He got HIS information from another pastor who got it from a 'faith healer." This treatment has not been studied, or published in any peer reviewed journal. I wouldn't go near it.

However, whether the prayers worked or not, the diet certainly did: he lost nearly a hundred pounds and y'know what happens when you lose that much weight? Diabetes is very likely to go away.

The POINT here is that one person had no faith in something billions of people have faith in; another had faith in something that absolutely cannot be proven empirically.

"Faith" equals "Trust," in other words, and the willingness to ACT upon ones beliefs. Doesn't matter two hoots what that belief actually IS.

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists

What, like evolution, that cannot be proven either, yet it is freely taught as fact in our schools, unlike religion. Those in glass houses would be well advised to refrain from throwing stones or move to a more resilient fortress. Besides, there is plenty of proof for those who want to see it.

Guilt is something that the individual chooses to feel as a direct result of his actions brought about by his agency to act, it is not imposed upon him. If you feel guilt than you are acting in a manner that you believe is wrong otherwise euphoria is what you would be experiencing. To stop feeling guilt, don't do it. Guilt is otherwise known as the light of Christ that keeps us on the straight and narrow. Guilt, or a conscience, is a person's moral sense of right and wrong, viewed as acting as a guide to one's behaviour.

Last edited:

Ubon

What, like evolution, that cannot be proven either, yet it is freely taught as fact in our schools, unlike religion. Those in glass houses would be well advised to refrain from throwing stones or move to a more resilient fortress. Besides, there is plenty of proof for those who want to see it.
It is called the theory of evolution, diseases adapt to survive attacks by antibiotics, a proven evolvment.

Scripture for years was also taught in schools, many nations teach religion in school.

Show me the proof you speak of, not just coincidences etc that are called acts of God with no basis whatsoever that they are.

There is no proof of God whatsoever, zreo.

Thats a proven fact, he may exist however there is no proof.

Serenity7855

It is called the theory of evolution, diseases adapt to survive attacks by antibiotics, a proven evolvment.

I know what it is called. What is called is irrelevant, it is unproven as a result of the time involved making it impossible to apply the scientific method.

Your example is adaption and not evolution. The virus is still a virus, the bacteria is still bacteria. The humming bird is still a humming bird, just with a longer beck. There has been no transition from one species to another.

Scripture for years was also taught in schools, many nations teach religion in school.

So why are they now being banned with the obvious moral decline that it has caused?

Show me the proof you speak of, not just coincidences etc that are called acts of God with no basis whatsoever that they are.

I fear that you are not in a position to see the evidences that surrounds us, or maybe you do not want to see it. The universe is teaming with evidence. Events that are outside of the natural laws of the universe that can only be explained by something for more intelligent than we will ever be. Dark Matter and Energy, the Big Bang, Rapid Expansion, the Higgs Boson and other sub atomic particles, Biogenesis, the Anthropic Principle, Black Holes, Fine Tuning and photosynthesis to name but a few. But you will claim a God of the gaps, but how else can you explain these unexplained supernatural phenomena. A lack of current knowledge perhaps? Do you think that we will ever reach a point where we will understand how the singularity turned into a universe in a millisecond?

There is no proof of God whatsoever, zreo.

That is your belief, which is clearly void of any kind of epiphany.

That's a proven fact, he may exist however there is no proof.

Then show me this proven fact that God does not exist. Show how natural laws kicked off the Big Bang.

Ubon

I know what it is called. What is called is irrelevant, it is unproven as a result of the time involved making it impossible to apply the scientific method.

Your example is adaption and not evolution. The virus is still a virus, the bacteria is still bacteria. The humming bird is still a humming bird, just with a longer beck. There has been no transition from one species to another.

So why are they now being banned with the obvious moral decline that it has caused?

I fear that you are not in a position to see the evidences that surrounds us, or maybe you do not want to see it. The universe is teaming with evidence. Events that are outside of the natural laws of the universe that can only be explained by something for more intelligent than we will ever be. Dark Matter and Energy, the Big Bang, Rapid Expansion, the Higgs Boson and other sub atomic particles, Biogenesis, the Anthropic Principle, Black Holes, Fine Tuning and photosynthesis to name but a few. But you will claim a God of the gaps, but how else can you explain these unexplained supernatural phenomena. A lack of current knowledge perhaps? Do you think that we will ever reach a point where we will understand how the singularity turned into a universe in a millisecond?

That is your belief, which is clearly void of any kind of epiphany.

Then show me this proven fact that God does not exist. Show how natural laws kicked off the Big Bang.
Moral decline, and the church is so moral.

Serenity7855

Moral decline, and the church is so moral.
No, absolutely not, the church is full of immoral sinners, like me. It is God who is perfect and it is His word that teaches morality, hence, the resulting moral decline in our society when these moral values are no longer taught. We are reaping exactly what we have sown, testified by your own words of disbelief here.

Ubon

Just because something is there in space that science cannot explain does not mean god created it either.

It may be god or nature, until i see which one i will not make assumptions and say its god or nature as that requires faith and faith is foolish.

Nothing in the universe proves gods existence until we see God

Ubon

Read your history, it has been immoral since day one hence the reason romans added numerous things to the bible to keep people in line.

My disbelief in God without first seeing him does not make me immoral.

Ubon

The moral decline may be because Religion is decling, why do you think so many have turned their back on the church.

Skwim

Veteran Member
True but it also has a very bad reputation at present
From what I've seen people aren't caring much about it one way or the other.

GregSleepingInChurch.jpg

capumetu

Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld Hebrews 1:1

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Are you sure you meant to post an item ridiculing faith in RELIGIOUSForums.com? If 1,000 posts condemn your post, you posted in the wrong place!

Faith may be proven, and proven well. Faith in God = trust in God = believing God is and "can do" because he has been trustworthy in the past.

There is no reward for what is seen, but if we hope for something yet unseen, there is reward, yes, however, faith is based on evidence for--reasonable evidence for--yet unseen things.

Do you, OP, have faith in anyone other than yourself? Then YOU have faith. I feel you owe me and most people here an apology for your post ridiculing faith.