• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith Is Not Belief Without Evidence

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Mark Twain was a smart guy.....smarter than we are anyway. I'll go with his view.
"'Faith is believing what you know ain't so."
I deduct that if it "ain't so", then it lacks evidence for being "so".
Moreover, if something had evidence, faith wouldn't be needed.

Gets my vote. I've long been fond of that Twain quote.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone can have all the evidence they want and still need faith: you can have all kinds of evidence that your best friend won't stab you in the back, or that your SO won't cheat on you, or that the people you're doing business with will cut you a square deal, but believing all of that still requires faith and amounts to faith.

By the same token most of what you're prefacing that faith on is personal and probably wouldn't mean much to anybody else. A lot of it would be impossible to demonstrate to anyone else.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Someone can have all the evidence they want and still need faith: you can have all kinds of evidence that your best friend won't stab you in the back, or that your SO won't cheat on you, or that the people you're doing business with will cut you a square deal, but believing all of that still requires faith and amounts to faith.
Naw....that would be to confuse the terms "faith" & "inductive reasoning".
Examples:
Faith: 14 angels fit on the head of a pin. This cannot be tested.
Inductive reasoning: There is much evidence to support confidence that the sun will rise again tomorrow.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Naw....that would be to confuse the terms "faith" & "inductive reasoning".
Examples:
Faith: 14 angels fit on the head of a pin. This cannot be tested.
Sunrise: There is much evidence to support confidence that it will rise again tomorrow.

Now you're just playing with definitions, and it looks like your definition of "faith" is circular: if it's a reasonable belief, no faith required. If faith is required, it must be an unreasonable belief.

Faith is emotional as much as intellectual: you can have all the proof you need of something and still need faith to off-set doubt (another thing that's as emotional as it is intellectual).

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon

By the same token most of what you're prefacing that faith on is personal and probably wouldn't mean much to anybody else. A lot of it would be impossible to demonstrate to anyone else.

Except, I'd call this "reasonable expectation" rather than faith of the variety that is being considered here.

I don't think the two are as similar as you suggest, especially when the answer to a question such as, "How can a virgin be made pregnant by a spirit, have a baby and still be a virgin?" is "We can't understand how that could be, so we have to have faith that God did that." That's clearly in the realm of "Faith is believing what you know ain't so" for me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
UPG=Unverifiable Personal Gnosis works for a lot of people.

However, it doesn't and obviously can't do anything to demonstrate that religious beliefs have a basis other than the traditions, history, theology, etc. that have accumulated with that body of beliefs over time.

I guess it's a good thing I don't need your approval in order to have what I consider proof. I know my proof wouldn't mean anything to you- nor even my definition of it. It is my opinion

About the word "Gnosis" I had to look it up- the meaning, according to free online dictionary is: Intuitive apprehension of spiritual truths, an esoteric form of knowledge sought by the Gnostics. I am not sure why you would give me this definition, as I am not a Gnostic- or maybe you take the form for any spiritual person.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Except, I'd call this "reasonable expectation" rather than faith of the variety that is being considered here.

If we're just talking about the intellectual aspects, that would work. But like I said in my last post, faith isn't purely intellectual, it's also emotional.

Someone can have enough evidence to justify "reasonable expectation", and still have doubts. Pushing those doubts aside requires faith no matter how much evidence there is.

I don't think the two are as similar as you suggest, especially when the answer to a question such as, "How can a virgin be made pregnant by a spirit, have a baby and still be a virgin?" is "We can't understand how that could be, so we have to have faith that God did that." That's clearly in the realm of "Faith is believing what you know ain't so" for me.

For a lot of people, it isn't.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now you're just playing with definitions, and it looks like your definition of "faith" is circular: if it's a reasonable belief, no faith required. If faith is required, it must be an unreasonable belief.
My examples are cromulent. I was politely not pointing out who was "playing with definitions".
There's a good reason that we don't refer to the "faithful" as the "inductive reasoningful".

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I think it rather presumptuous to tell we believers that we "know it ain't so". How would you know? I do believe in the virgin birth- just because you don't believe it doesn't mean that others don't believe in it. Some people may lie to themselves, but that doesn't mean we all do. Speak for yourself and stop speaking for any of us.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My examples are cromulent. I was politely not pointing out who was "playing with definitions".
There's a good reason that we don't refer to the "faithful" as the "inductive reasoningful".

Kind of hard to have a debate about something unless we're sure we're talking about the same thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Kind of hard to have a debate about something unless we're sure we're talking about the same thing.
Context would steer us towards appropriate definitions. If one compares inductive reasoning with faith, the former implies a more rigorous definition,
so the latter would be discussed in the same context. Certainly, the less formal definition of "faith" as confidence in something would be a different sense.
Thus, the 2 terms are not equivalent, even though they might at times be used to describe the same thing.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It's possible that a lot of people can be wrong.

Doesn't matter if they're wrong or not. I'm just saying that if someone believes in a God that can create an entire universe, the belief that that same God could get a woman pregnant and turn her back into a virgin afterwards wouldn't fall into the category of "believing what you know ain't so" for those people.

But aside from this weakness of consensus, the faithful believe things which are not observable or testable.

"The faithful". Unless this is a new religious movement that I haven't heard of yet, I would say you're generalizing a little bit.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Context would steer us towards appropriate definitions. If one compares inductive reasoning with faith, the former implies a more rigorous definition,

If someone compares inductive reasoning with faith and leaves it at that, then in my opinion they're using an incomplete definition of "faith".

so the latter would be discussed in the same context. Certainly, the less formal definition of "faith" as confidence in something would be a different sense.

I don't consider that a less formal definition of faith. Any definition that discounts the confidence aspect is talking about something completely different, IMO.

Why even call that faith? At that point, "faith" is a completely superfluous term.

Thus, the 2 terms are not equivalent, even though they might at times be used to describe the same thing.

I think both aspects have to be taken into consideration in order to have anything like a reasonable discussion about the whole concept of faith.

If you're going to go by Mark Twain's definition and equate faith with self-deception or delusion, "believing what you know ain't so", then you're talking about something completely different from what religious people are talking about when they say "faith".

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend lunamoth,

Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof. -- Khalil Gibran
Personally would take it to mean that it is firstly an individual thing ad personally need not to prove to anyone else about it.
Its fine!
Love & rgds

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What I'm actually saying is that regardless of how accurate your survey is. it could be sloppy or extremely accurate. You record that somewhere for reference. I may know about that reference or I may not. If I have to go from point a to point b. The accuracy of your survey doesn't alter the traverse. I might want to take your reference into account, I might not. After I've crossed it a dozen times or so, the actual accuracy of your reference doesn't affect my ability to get across.
I think you're misunderstanding the terminology. Maybe I should've picked a less obscure analogy.

Let me try explaining it directly: if you hold beliefs about the world, they might be correct or incorrect. If you think about how your beliefs can be tested, or what your beliefs imply and how those implications can be tested, then you're able to do the tests that can help tell you just how correct your beliefs are.

OTOH, if you never test your beliefs, you really have no idea whether they're correct or not.

If you care about whether your beliefs are correct, then you need to seek out verification of them.

There are elements which can be tested. Measuring brain activity etc...

I suspect science/scientists are largely embarrassed by proposing religious experiences as a valid area of research. Here an interesting paper I've come across.

http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~philrnm/publications/article_pdfs/JCC%20Intro%206-25-04.pdf

Which might mean the lack of contemporary evidence being cause by a lack of motivation.

The tools may still need to be developed to enable the accurate measurement the traverse. That doesn't mean the traverse is not there nor that it's not being crossed by people.

So we have testimony of individuals who claim they've crossed this traverse. We end up relying on their descriptions, which is not so reliable. We've no means to measure this traverse so we can't determine objectively the accuracy of their testimony. They still have the experience of crossing. That's what they have to rely on until, if science develops a method to measure, model and test exactly what that experience is.

People got sick even before science developed the means to test for pathogens and vectors of disease. Would you expect these people to have accepted their sickness was all in their mind because the science was lacking?
I think you're missing my point.

If there really is a god out there causing people's religious experiences, then I think it would be unreasonable to assume that the only thing that this god is doing is causing religious experiences.

As another analogy, someone might claim that they broke their leg when they were hit by a car, but breaking legs isn't the only thing that cars do. They also leave tire tracks, for instance. Even if we had hundreds of people claiming broken legs caused by being hit by a car, if we couldn't find tire tracks anywhere, something wouldn't be adding up, because if enough cars are out there to cause all those broken legs, then we'd expect to find tire tracks all over the place, too.

Do you understand what I'm saying? A god running around giving people religious experiences almost certainly wouldn't ONLY be running around giving people religious experiences.

yochai50

The most famous fable of the Dubner Maggid is about the way in which the Maggid was able to find such fitting fables. When asked about this the Maggid told: Once I was walking in the forest, and saw tree after tree with a target drawn on it, and at the center of each target an arrow. I then came upon a little boy with a bow in his hand. "Are you the one who shot all these arrows", I asked. "Yes!" he replied. "Then how did you always hit the center of the target?" I asked. "Simple", said the boy, "first I shoot the arrow, then I draw the target"

In other words, it's best to work from where you are and what you've got. What one person calls as evidence for their faith could probably be argued from some angle and maybe even refuted. Faith doesn't need evidence. You don't have evidence that moving your foot will make you spontaneously combust. But I'm sure by some odd chance it could happen. Yet you believe with the same certainty it wont happen, despite not knowing for certain. Belief in not spontaneously combusting is a belief based on observation of previous experience. But it isn't a certainty. Simply a logical and reliable deduction based on probability. But, you still don't know despite the fact that your deduction is made by previous evidence which would say otherwise. Faith isn't necessarily based on evidence. Evidence can be used to support your faith, sure. But, you don't need evidence to have faith. There's people who say they don't know if there is a G-d due to lack of evidence, yet will still pray anyways and say "Thank G-d." I don't believe faith needs evidence because people believe wholeheartedly and devoutly in things which they've never even sought to verify as true by means of evidence.