• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith Healers

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't think this issue has a black or white answer.

The brain has the ability to heal the body, BUT THERE ARE LIMITS TO THIS ABILITY.

Plus, the placebo effect does not work with everyone. You have to truly believe in the power of the placebo for this to have a chance to work.

Can faith healing cure a burst appendix? I think not, but in the same vain, medical science has gave up on people with certain conditions as a lost cause and the Preacher or minister comes in and shares prayer with the patient and the person lives to be productive again.

Doctors know there is power in prayer, but there is a time and a place for both medicine and prayer.

The example give with the burst appendix shows the ignorance of these people but is there really any difference between these folks and an Atheist who misses out being cured by the placebo effect either?

Both denied themselves every possibility to be cured.

outhouse

Atheistically

The brain has the ability to heal the body, BUT THERE ARE LIMITS TO THIS ABILITY.

Plus, the placebo effect does not work with everyone. You have to truly believe in the power of the placebo for this to have a chance to work.

Can faith healing cure a burst appendix? I think not, but in the same vain, medical science has gave up on people with certain conditions as a lost cause and the Preacher or minister comes in and shares prayer with the patient and the person lives to be productive again.

Doctors know there is power in prayer, but there is a time and a place for both medicine and prayer.

The example give with the burst appendix shows the ignorance of these people but is there really any difference between these folks and an Atheist who misses out being cured by the placebo effect either?

very true.

Im not sure ive missed out on any placebo effect as of yet, and I definatley understand that value, and know it works quite well, under limitations

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.

Perhaps, not a very good doctor?

[youtube]f5X64QCDVnI[/youtube]
Neil deGrasse Tyson: Doctors - YouTube

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
dont you think they are sick, and should have recieved some hard core prison time as well as having all their children placed in protected custody.???
I do.

I haven't seen anyone in the thread state faith healing should be used to the exclusion or preference of doctors.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Do people actually believe in this? And if so..should we start taking hospitals down and start the production of more churches??

I believe God heals and there are individuals who have received the gift of healing.

Although many believe in healing many donot so don't close the hospitals. A proliferation of churches does not guarantee that the members will have faith in healing.

no-body

I thought there where studies recently that said the opposite of this. It's not as effective as if you truly believed in it but just going through motions increases your chances of the placebo working, even if you don't believe in it.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I thought there where studies recently that said the opposite of this. It's not as effective as if you truly believed in it but just going through motions increases your chances of the placebo working, even if you don't believe in it.

I think that depends on the person receiving it. I cant see the placebo working if the person completely rejects and things its a load

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What did NT believers think was the cause of disease? Did they think it was a curse from God? A test from The Adversary? During all the different plaques what was the cause? It's fairly recent, isn't it, that we know about germs and how the body works? What is the cause of leprosy? Why didn't God let his people know what it was?
It seems that some faith healers are still blaming evil spirits as the cause. I've heard them say, "Oh devil come out of our sister and be gone." I've heard some claim that people have grown new body parts. I really doubt that. I saw a guy on TV make all kinds of claims. A lady in the audience wanted to loose weight. She was still heavy at the end of the show.
The only healings I've seen are the ones that are too easily faked. But what did Jesus say? In Mark 16 he says that "those who have believed" (NASB) will be able to heal. That should be any Christian, not just the gifted ones. So why do Christians go to the doctor? The medical profession evolved out of science. I thought Christians didn't believe in science?

Lady B

noob
What did NT believers think was the cause of disease? Did they think it was a curse from God? A test from The Adversary? During all the different plaques what was the cause? It's fairly recent, isn't it, that we know about germs and how the body works? What is the cause of leprosy? Why didn't God let his people know what it was?
It seems that some faith healers are still blaming evil spirits as the cause. I've heard them say, "Oh devil come out of our sister and be gone." I've heard some claim that people have grown new body parts. I really doubt that. I saw a guy on TV make all kinds of claims. A lady in the audience wanted to loose weight. She was still heavy at the end of the show.
The only healings I've seen are the ones that are too easily faked. But what did Jesus say? In Mark 16 he says that "those who have believed" (NASB) will be able to heal. That should be any Christian, not just the gifted ones. So why do Christians go to the doctor? The medical profession evolved out of science. I thought Christians didn't believe in science?
Physicians are in the Bible, so it is not science outside of our beliefs. Christians do believe in science we sometimes do not agree in the science verses creation, that is all.

I believe If these healer's have a gift of healing from God, it will not be a partial healing, such as depicted in televised events. One in particular was a Benny Hinn special, where a deaf mute went on stage and after Benny Hinn put his hands on the boys ears, he began to make the most horrific sounds and everyone applauded....I Really believe If God were to heal the boy, he would have said " It's a miracle!! And been on his way. I also believe if Benny Hinn and other faith healers genuinely had this gift they really should take themselves to the hospitals rather then the stage.

The bible does say Christians should pray for one another and lay hands on the sick, also anointing them with oil. Some churches do practice this mine included yet I have never seen actual healings as a result, But I surmise there may be some genuine healings If done properly and with prayer and faith. Christ said If anyone had faith in the amount of only a mustard seed we could move mountains, we Christians obviously don't have that kind of faith or we would succeed in this.Perhaps that is the faith required to actually heal people as the Bible alleges is possible.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Physicians are in the Bible, so it is not science outside of our beliefs. Christians do believe in science we sometimes do not agree in the science verses creation, that is all.

I believe If these healer's have a gift of healing from God, it will not be a partial healing, such as depicted in televised events. One in particular was a Benny Hinn special, where a deaf mute went on stage and after Benny Hinn put his hands on the boys ears, he began to make the most horrific sounds and everyone applauded....I Really believe If God were to heal the boy, he would have said " It's a miracle!! And been on his way. I also believe if Benny Hinn and other faith healers genuinely had this gift they really should take themselves to the hospitals rather then the stage.

The bible does say Christians should pray for one another and lay hands on the sick, also anointing them with oil. Some churches do practice this mine included yet I have never seen actual healings as a result, But I surmise there may be some genuine healings If done properly and with prayer and faith. Christ said If anyone had faith in the amount of only a mustard seed we could move mountains, we Christians obviously don't have that kind of faith or we would succeed in this.Perhaps that is the faith required to actually heal people as the Bible alleges is possible.

I believe hospitals are not conducive to belief. I believe everyone has his own ministry hopefully the one God assigned to him. My ministry is neither to go to the hospital or on stage. I have seen healers working in church and that makes sense because I believe the gifts are for the church. I will be working on the road which means that I will heal a person who I meet in my travels.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Of course Christians pray for healing and are successful but belief is a gift. One can try to believe in healing but it won't happen. In the same verse the gift of tongues was mentioned. I tried to receive the gift of tongues but was unable until the gift was given to me.

God heals what He wishes to heal and leaves a thorn in the flesh as he did with Paul. In my case it is high blood pressure. The medicine works fine. Before I started this medicine, God told me to eat bananas. This medicine reduces potassium and bananas are a good source of potassium. It sounded nutty to be told to eat bananas until I found out the raeson for it.