• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FAcebook to Meta

Riders

The NEws said Facebook won't recognize us anymore after this week, I saw a MEta commercial you have to have a headset for that. That leaves me out. My sister says I am mistaken facebook will still be here so what is the right answer? My computer can not handle virtual reality.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The NEws said Facebook won't recognize us anymore after this week, I saw a MEta commercial you have to have a headset for that. That leaves me out. My sister says I am mistaken facebook will still be here so what is the right answer? My computer can not handle virtual reality.
Meta is to be a holding company that owns Faecebook and its other products, like Instagram and so forth. Just as Google is a division of a bigger entity called Alphabet, which nobody really talks about.

Faecebook is not going anywhere nowadays so Mark "Lizard" Zuckerberg - the man with blow-dried armpits - is trying to move his corporation onto pastures new, while his first business slowly withers.

There may also be an element of trying to ring-fence possible liabilities into one division that can be cut loose if necessary while he - and the corporate stock price - escape, Blofeld-style, to work on his next plan for world domination.:D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What?! What's going on?

pearl

Faecebook is not going anywhere nowadays so Mark "Lizard" Zuckerberg - the man with blow-dried armpits - is trying to move his corporation onto pastures new, while his first business slowly withers.

As it is said a rose by any other name is still a rose, or in this case, some fall into a pen of fecal matter and come out smelling like a rose.

exchemist

Veteran Member
As it is said a rose by any other name is still a rose, or in this case, some fall into a pen of fecal matter and come out smelling like a rose.
Haha. Opinion in the Financial Times is that this ruse won't work for public relations purposes. But I suspect it is more a signal of change of focus, away from Faecebook and onto this new stuff.

Plus the liabilities issue: he may well want to lump all the problems onto what is now just one division of the corporation and meanwhile try to persuade the stock markets that, whatever trouble Faecebook gets into, Meta, and Mr Armpits himself of course, are bigger than Faecebook and have a brilliant future.

We'll see. It looks to me as if this guy has been rumbled. From here on, everyone will be suspicious of his proclamations of doing the world a favour, I think. He can expect a lot more regulatory scrutiny for sure in his future ventures.

And he doesn't have any eyebrows....must be an alien......:D

Yazata

I guess that Facebook wants to create a virtual world similar to 'Ready Player One'.

It sounds outlandish, but who would have thought that Mark Zuckerberg would become one of the world's richest men from creating a social messaging ap for his college friends.

We all know how much time kids today spend on their cell-phones instead of interacting with real tangible life. So the idea of kids (or most of them) retreating into a virtual fantasy world where they can be anyone and anything they want to be does sound at least plausible. Once a critical mass of kids are living most of their social lives in there, all the other kids will be drawn in too, so as to not be left out.

We know that Facebook has been doing lots of work on and investing billions in virtual reality. We know that they have experience operating a huge worldwide network of servers. And we know that Facebook itself has peaked and if they are to continue to grow and dominate, they need to find the "next big thing".

Metaverse - Wikipedia

I don't think that it's likely to end well. Ready Player One was distopian sci-fi after all.

[video=youtube]

Last edited:

pearl

We'll see. It looks to me as if this guy has been rumbled. From here on, everyone will be suspicious of his proclamations of doing the world a favour, I think. He can expect a lot more regulatory scrutiny for sure in his future ventures.

Facebook did have its positive side, allowing families to keep in touch with family news and events to be celebrated etc. But like all new technologies there's always the openness to abuse, in the case of Zuckerberg allowing the abuse was most profitable.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess that Facebook wants to create a virtual world similar to 'Ready Player One'.

It sounds outlandish, but who would have thought that Mark Zuckerberg would become one of the world's richest men from creating a social messaging ap for his college friends.

We all know how much time kids today spend on their cell-phones instead of interacting with real tangible life. So the idea of kids (or most of them) retreating into a virtual fantasy world where they can be anyone and anything they want to be does sound at least plausible. Once a critical mass of kids are living most of their social lives in there, all the other kids will be drawn in too, so as to not be left out.

We know that Facebook has been doing lots of work on and investing billions in virtual reality. We know that they have experience operating a huge worldwide network of servers. And we know that Facebook itself has peaked and if they are to continue to grow and dominate, they need to find the "next big thing".

Metaverse - Wikipedia

I don't think that it's likely to end well. Ready Player One was distopian sci-fi after all.

[video=youtube]
In reality though, kids have been leaving Facebook in droves for a couple years now. Its population is largely gen x. With most millenials and gen z using Tiktok as their primary social media.

Yazata

In reality though, kids have been leaving Facebook in droves for a couple years now. Its population is largely gen x. With most millenials and gen z using Tiktok as their primary social media.

I agree. That's why it needs to find the "next new thing". I think that repositioning Facebook/Meta as a "metaverse" company is that strategy. Zuckerberg has said as much.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. That's why it needs to find the "next new thing". I think that repositioning Facebook/Meta as a "metaverse" company is that strategy. Zuckerberg has said as much.
All it comes off as to the gen z and millenials I talk to is desperate and transparent attempt to sweep their bad behavior under the rug, and nobody is going to be fooled. Doubt anyone is going to be flocking to Meta.

Riders

well as an old-time second life virtual reality game user I know it takes a certain amount of power in each computer to handle virtual reality, cheaper computers like mine that cost 300 dollars do not pick up virtual reality. Some folks are on I pads instead of computers and I pads don't pick up virtual reality. You have to be able to be smart enough to use it. I don't know how to use a headset for virtual reality. So it won't include everyone, it will exclude some folks.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh great thinking on those lads and lasses. Everybody just runs to Communist China's social website now.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
There’s a fourth wall breaking joke in there somewhere. I just know it.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
All it comes off as to the gen z and millenials I talk to is desperate and transparent attempt to sweep their bad behavior under the rug, and nobody is going to be fooled. Doubt anyone is going to be flocking to Meta.
Indeed. None of us are fooled by this move. And in all honesty Facebook (at least in my experience) is largely seen by Millenials/Zoomers as the social media site used by your “boomer parents/grandparents” and has been for a while now. I mean sure we might use it to keep in touch with older relatives or even use FB messenger. But in addition to Tik Tok, which probably has a bigger zoomer audience than millennials, many young people are also using streaming services more than say YouTube. Cultivating media personalities and discussing hobbies on such streaming services as Twitch. This is partially a response to what many perceive as the biased and corrupt nature of YouTube algorithms and poorly enforced/hypocritical TOS.
Though Twitch is not without its criticism either

InChrist

Free4ever

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
To understand what is going on you need to think of Facebook as two different things, the ‘social media platform’ and the ‘company’ that owns it. Facebook the company owns several brands like Instagram, WhatsApp etc.

So now company that owns all these things is changing its name to Meta, but they will still own the social media platform that will still be called Facebook along with the other things and they will be the same.

I think Zuckerberg things his virtual reality app will be the next big thing and will eventually replace Facebook. I don’t know if that will happen, but even if it does it won’t be for a while.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno. You make a good point but China is more likely taking more notes and creating a database on foreigners as much as it does with its own citizens.
Judging America by Tik Tok sounds like something that would be against the Geneva Convention.
Besides they already have all sorts of data on us anyway
*cue X Files theme*

No, seriously, they likely already do. Unless every person has like three levels of cloaking devices. All your history and data is being mined by various tech communities, some of which are likely to be in business with Chinese based companies. It’s how streamlining works, for instance. Or how you get recommendations on various platforms. I grew up in that sort of landscape. Hell, I remember learning the basic mechanics of it in my high school IT class even. I doubt younger generations like Zoomers care all that much. It’s just evil conglomerates being evil conglomerates. News at 11 :shrug:

Last edited: