• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existentialism and Transcendentalism

Onkara

Interesting question, could you briefly define how you see the two "isms", to help answer, please?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Interesting question, could you briefly define how you see the two "isms", to help answer, please?

Existentialism-stresses the individual's unique position as a self-determining agent responsible for the authenticity of his or her choices; the starting point of philosophical thinking must be the experiences of the individual; basically, a philosophy having it's basis in the human experience

Transcendentalism-a philosophy emphasizing the intuitive and spiritual above the empirical; Among the transcendentalists' core beliefs was the inherent goodness of both man and nature. Transcendentalists believed that society and its institutions—particularly organized religion and political parties—ultimately corrupted the purity of the individual. They had faith that man is at his best when truly "self-reliant" and independent. It is only from such real individuals that true community could be formed

Onkara

Thanks. Given your definitions I would say that they are compatible based on the similarity that both turn to the individual to confirm and justify their independence, be it a choice or an intuitive realisation.

I would see existentialism leading to transcendentalism as the individual embarks on a spiritual or intuitive investigation of their self.

I also see inherent goodness of man and nature to be a conclusion having its basis in human experience itself. That is transcendental core beliefs can be confirmed through existentialism.

What thinks you?

dust1n

Zindīq
In some ways they are and in some ways they aren't. I don't think Existentialism is compatible with the notion that nature is somehow good, or that humans are innately good, because it would recognize that such a claim isn't possible regarding ethics. I think there is some commonality though in how both tend to view institutions in relation to humans, the negative effects they can purport, and that individuals share a great deal of responsibility in their affairs. I really haven't read enough about either to be too useful though.