• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian here.

Ethos88

Ethos I have a question for you. If you were a TRUE committed with all your heart Christian in the past based on deep study of it as well and had even an experience with "God" if ya will and then you left and rejected it all, do you now have compassion for Christians or do you have the attitude of looking down at them?

What is your attitude toward them? Because the way I see it is this: if I was a believer in something so strongly and then I left it, I would then have greater compassion for those who are still in it, because I was ONCE there.

Now even though I say all that, I am a Christian and I disagree with you leaving it, but none the less, i am wondering what your attitude is toward them? Compassion or arrogance?

And nor do i wish to debate about whether christianity is right or wrong right now either, i just am wondering about this question. I already am in a big debate in another forum and that is taking up alot of time as is.

The worst kind of arrogance is not those who were not in your position and then look down at you, it is those who were where you are, then came out, and then still look down at you. That is the extreme of sick.

My views of Christians haven't changed. I don't judge people based on their religion, however you can tell a lot of how people act based on their religion. In short I view Christians as self induced ignorant people, oblivious that a being that's not there will solve your problems, that you need to symbolically eat the flesh of jesus to be forgiven...seriously?

tarasan

My views of Christians haven't changed. I don't judge people based on their religion, however you can tell a lot of how people act based on their religion. In short I view Christians as self induced ignorant people, oblivious that a being that's not there will solve your problems, that you need to symbolically eat the flesh of jesus to be forgiven...seriously?

ohh mate.... seriously this is your view of communion? you dont need to eat communion to be forgiven, its merely soemthing to help us remeber what Jesus did for us.

and dont you recall what saint Augustine said "pray as if everything relied on God and work as though everything relied one yourself"

look at your bible sitting ideal was never anything it condoned.

MysticSang’ha

Jollybear
, I would agree that compassion is not only useful but ideal in reconciling these differences.

From both sides.

You are absolutely right, I agree fully.

Ethos

My views of Christians haven't changed. I don't judge people based on their religion,

You don’t judge them based on their religion, ok, I am going to hold you too that now. read below.

however you can tell a lot of how people act based on their religion.

Ok, so what your telling me is that you don’t judge these people, or assume anything, you WAIT until they REVEAL something to you about them, am I correct?

In short I view Christians as self induced ignorant people,

So now your ASSUMING and JUDGING that all Christians are SELF induced ignorant people. They are willfully ignorant your saying? Is that not a JUDGMENT? How do you know what they WILL and WILL not?

You said above you don’t judge them, but right here you just did. My question to you is, why did you?

oblivious that a being that's not there will solve your problems,

Again I am not going to debate whether God solves problems or not, but again, this is a judgment. You’re judging that Christians THINK God will solve their problems. I don’t think that, therefore your judgment IS WRONG. Although I do believe God can help solve SOME problems, but he did not promise to omit all problems. But again I don’t wish to debate that simply because I am trying to stick to a debate on another thread which is taking mountains of time in itself. I am just boggled why your judging all Christians? That’s all, and I am deeply curious to why you’re doing it, then deny that you do?

that you need to symbolically eat the flesh of jesus to be forgiven...seriously?

Just from this statement alone I have to dogmatically tell you that you have a BIG misunderstanding of Christianity. There is a lot more to being forgiven then eating wine and bread.

But that’s beside the point, I don’t dispute that SOME acclaimed Christians will say this is all that’s needed to be forgiven. Ya, there is lots of different people out there, so what? Do you judge all Christians as believing this is what needs to be done to be forgiven? Again, if so, it’s a JUDGMENT, your ASSUMING.

If you have stuff against Christianity, your time would be better spent not judging Christains and assuming there motives. Your time would also be better spent NOT just making claims that Christianity is oblivious and foolish and wrong. Your time would be better spent actually picking apart the case for Christianity. If your going to go at this at all, that is my recommendation. Stay away from just judging and making lonely claims. Build a case and pick apart your opponents case. Make arguments, answer questions.

Trust me on this, you will save yourself TIME and you will spare anyone you debate with a BIG head pain. And it also shows signs of respect as well.

blackout

Violet.
pfff not really there are many vaible ones, that take the bible as a whole into account, I was merely attacking those who isolated a few scriptures and said they speak for the whole bible that is it.

I cut the bible down to 'Jesus only'.

The 'red letter bible'.

It was good enough for me.

I threw the rest out...
and interpreted "Jesus alone".

Aparantly, to most christians, Jesus is not enough.

tarasan

I cut the bible down to 'Jesus only'.

The 'red letter bible'.

It was good enough for me.

I threw the rest out...
and interpreted "Jesus alone".

Aparantly, to most christians, Jesus is not enough.

well I can see why some Christians do that however to understand him fully people generally should grasp the rest of the bible, I mean he was only around for three years, he didnt say or account for everything, hence we have more books in the New testament and old.

however like I said unless you go totally off the wall i couldnt really say if what you think is damming, in my personal opinion.

Plus i would add, if one believes in the red letters of Jesus words, that would mean they should also believe in what he said. And what he said was many quotes from the Old Testament and he said that the Old testament was the word of God. So we should then use the Old testament. Also he said his disciples would further the commision, so we should follow there words too, by doing so, we are following Christs words.

Diane Vera

Back on page 4 of this thread, Ethos88 wrote:

Lets just say there are 250 religions in the world, and only one can possibly be right.

You're ignoring a whole large category of religions whose beliefs aren't mutually exclusive.

By the way, what does the "88" in your name mean?

blackout

Violet.
well I can see why some Christians do that however to understand him fully people generally should grasp the rest of the bible, I mean he was only around for three years, he didnt say or account for everything, hence we have more books in the New testament and old.

however like I said unless you go totally off the wall i couldnt really say if what you think is damming, in my personal opinion.

No worries honey,
by mainstream christian standards
I am damned for sure.

And I say good.

Diane Vera

To Ethos88:

Congratulations on leaving fundamentalist Christianity. I'm sure it must be a huge relief for you.

However, there's at least one fundamentalist Christian belief you seem to have retained, namely the belief that fundamentalist Christianity is the standard of Christian orthodoxy and that all other forms of Christianity, including even the older Christian traditions, aren't really Christian because they "pick and choose."

My point here is not that you personally should embrace any of these other forms of Christianity either. I'm just pointing out that you haven't yet fully deprogrammed yourself from fundamentalist thinking habits.

This forum looks like a good place to begin learning about the variety of other religions and worldview out there -- and thus to take the next steps in deprogramming yourself.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
It took me 3 years to completely deprogram.

I called it "smashing taboos".

Sneaky little ********. erm... buggers...

Orias

Left Hand Path
Luckily for some people, like me, I have always found disgust among any theism or faithful religions like Christianity. I am glad my parents never forced any belief on me...

I was born in opposition :D and a contender to the creation.

Orias

Left Hand Path
After my entire life, I have finally had the courage to question my faith, and boy does it feel good. I feel a sense of enlightenment upon me, as if I am no longer being held back by some imaginative "force". That's becuase now I can allow myself to accept science as the fundamental explanation of our existence, not some book that claims the earth is flat and only 6000 years old, and somehow forgot to mention dinosaurs.

My argument is this, however.

Explain to me why you do not believe in the Olympian Gods and I will explain to you why any "God" postulated cannot and logically should not exist.

Exactly! Ha I am glad you see now.

The feeling you feel is the self and the embodiement of your own inner confidence and power.

Don't listen to Diane, you are perfectly fine in the understanding of the world as long as you see that nature is what we are.

Man is just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who because of his 'divine spiritual and intellectual development', has become the worst animal of all.-Satanic Bible.

There is no 'deprogramming' there is just you realizing what is, instead of what is not. Everyone is embedded with moral and ethical right and wrongs, it is because of the world society. Just acknowledge you and you will be perfectly fine. Be the water instead of the sponge and you will understand all, slowly but surely.

Be amiguous in your approaches to everything and you will see. Rise above what is called perception and become what you were meant to be.

Ave Satanas!

Science works too though of course :D, as it is a contender to creation.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
I laugh at your foolishness :D

You don't know me.

I speak of they, as in the society that controlls and dominates a typical mind, who determines damnation and your path after death, when they really know nothing of the individual and are presumptuous in conclusion.

Don't breathe such nonsense upon me, I am beyond your kind.

Last edited:

tarasan

You don't know me.

I speak of they, as in the society that controlls and dominates a typical mind, who determines damnation and your path after death.

Don't breathe such nonsense upon me, I am beyond your kind.

:D:D:D:D:D

ahhh LHPers are pretty darn cute, Im sorry I shouldnt be annoyin ya but when you say such things it cracks me up, by the basic thought of what you are wether you are thiestic or athiestic I ahve no need to fear you in any way.

so tell me why should I be scared? although it was very well written ill give you that.

Orias

Left Hand Path
:D:D:D:D:D

ahhh LHPers are pretty darn cute, Im sorry I shouldnt be annoyin ya but when you say such things it cracks me up, by the basic thought of what you are wether you are thiestic or athiestic I ahve no need to fear you in any way.

so tell me why should I be scared? although it was very well written ill give you that.

Ha, well I am not a theists, I can tell you that. And I don't expect you to be scared, I am not out to harm or do 'bad' unto anyone. I am simply here to gain what is rare...and by insulting in a predjudice way just makes you come off as bad.

Of course though, you can laugh at what you don't understand. For I am laughing at what you struggle to do. :D

tarasan

Ha, well I am not a theists, I can tell you that. And I don't expect you to be scared, I am not out to harm or do 'bad' unto anyone. I am simply here to gain what is rare...and by insulting in a predjudice way just makes you come off as bad.

Of course though, you can laugh at what you don't understand. For I am laughing at what you struggle to do. :D

firstly i think it was you who started off laughing at people, whihc is fine Im here on this forum to have fun and people can poke fun, but if tehy cant take it well..... a little sad my freind.

and id be very suprised if you understood much about what i believe considering chrisitanity is a diverse religion.

logician

I honestly don't think you can do that as you cannot possibly know every concept of what "god" is all over the world.

I always find it interesting that the most hardcore atheists that think that they can prove that all concepts of Divine are bunk are ex-Christians. So jaded or misinformed by their previous beliefs and experiences they are willing to write off everything else out there without really knowing all there is to know. It's sad really. :(

Atheists are not sitting around "disproving" god concepts, they just don't see any evidence that "proves" any god concepts to be true.:D

Last edited: