• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolve Now

A

angellous_evangellous

Here's what concerns me, there are all kinds of news sources out there regarding climate change. I mean tons and tons. What is going on is simple disbelief, because what you are reading is so fantastic, it's like you are in a movie, and you just can't believe it. Do you think sourcing is going to change that? Answer me this, just from listening out of the corner of your ear, hasn't the media at least tickled your curiosity to find out about climate change, what's really up?

Well, if you call National Geographic, the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and nature documentaries "the media."

Republicans think that global warming is a myth because it still snows in the winter.

A

angellous_evangellous

Actaully, I would hope you quit reading this thread, and get caught up in surfing climate change...do it for an hour, you'd be shocked.

[only if he had his head up his *** for the past 10 years]

Danny Heim

i think the point is simply in protocol. if you are making the point, you should be making the effort. if you put enough effort to direct the readers of your thread in the right direction, then you clearly understand your point and you've done the leg work on your own. the internet being at our fingertips doesn't change protocol for the introduction of new ideas. you don't get out of backing up your claims with credible sources simply because Google and Wikipedia exist.

so just take a few minutes out of your day and compile the sources that go with your points. but always keep in mind, substantiating climate change does not substantiate ALL the claims in the OP. (so feel free to elaborate on them, or cite a source for your analysis.)
That is all very, very true. And like I said earlier, I most likely will source this paper, and yes, I could do it in about an hour I imagine, no problem. But here is the thing. I've seen this over and over on the internet, applying he blue line to a word doesn't mean a thing. And to those it does mean something, it has merely become a protocal that you can call someone on. It's a bunch of amature journalists trying to look professional, it's kind of rediculous This has only happened on the internet. Another thing, my paper just scatter shots the issues when it comes to the details. I did not write to educate about the individual impacts of climate change, I just listed them occationally. And that is all that technically needs to be soucred in this paper. But It won't make any difference to source those listings. And it certainlky will not be "substantiating climate change ". And if I do source, people will read, see there is a source, not read it, then put the paper down and will not check it out for themselves, which is my biggest hope for the outcome of this paper, that people find out about climate change. that is the thing aobut this issue, it takes a bit of study to get it. You have to read more than one article, way more than one. There are so many aspects to it, you could read forever. But just a few days will do.

Last edited:

Danny Heim

Well, if you call National Geographic, the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and nature documentaries "the media."

Republicans think that global warming is a myth because it still snows in the winter.
Actually, even those outlets should have wetted appetites, because pictures go a long way to tell one about what's happening. Here we go again, see, the message being killed by the messenger, but that's not what's killing it, what's killing it is denial, nothing more. The message is too big to hear, even from Animal Planet. J

Danny Heim

[only if he had his head up his *** for the past 10 years]

Actually no, that is not true. I know people that thought they really knew a lot about climate change, but then after talking with them awhile, they found out they didn't know near as much as they thought. They know mostly about the political aspects of it, which are a joke and should be ignored. They know little about the impacts and what it is doing and will do and when, which should be listen to very closely and studied.

Danny Heim

I’ll try some sourcing and then I’ll try this somewhere else. Will the discussion continue, will it make a difference? Let’s experiment.

A

angellous_evangellous

Actually no, that is not true. I know people that thought they really knew a lot about climate change, but then after talking with them awhile, they found out they didn't know near as much as they thought. They know mostly about the political aspects of it, which are a joke and should be ignored. They know little about the impacts and what it is doing and will do and when, which should be listen to very closely and studied.

Ah, come on, man. If you are that concerned about changing things based on environmental concerns, the political aspects of it are substantially important to affecting this change. And we've seen amazing progress in the regulation of several contaminates on a global scale in the past five years. The only civilized nation on earth who has been unwilling to make significant changes is the United States, and if people like you want ordinary people to change, we'll see even more regulations for cars, emmissions, and etc.

Climate change and environmental concerns ARE political issues that impact our health and the survival of the planet.

Telling people to ignore these issues shows profound apathy for your cause.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Sounds good, could you elaborate though, not sure where you are coming from? Are you saying I need to play up to the human need for order? :)
No, I'm saying we need to convince governments and the populace that the environment has real tangible value outside of simple raw materials to be extracted.

For example, the Kenyan rain-forests have recently been accessed and valued at 1.3 billion US$ annually. Due to their vital impact on every aspect of the Kenyan economy. Thus, preservation of the rain-forest is far more economically logical than short term resource extraction.

BBC News - Placing a value on Kenya's largest forest

By explaining the real value of the forest you increase it's chances of being preserved... preaching does nothing when people are faced with practical needs like food, shelter and livelihood.

Ultimately humans will choose their own short term comfort over long term sustainability (even us environmentalists)... we are terrible at long term planning.

wa:do

Danny Heim

Ah, come on, man. If you are that concerned about changing things based on environmental concerns, the political aspects of it are substantially important to affecting this change. And we've seen amazing progress in the regulation of several contaminates on a global scale in the past five years. The only civilized nation on earth who has been unwilling to make significant changes is the United States, and if people like you want ordinary people to change, we'll see even more regulations for cars, emmissions, and etc.

Climate change and environmental concerns ARE political issues that impact our health and the survival of the planet.

Telling people to ignore these issues shows profound apathy for your cause.
Yes they are, but the political paradigms we have now are NOT ABLE to handle this, they certainly are not even getting close to dealing with it NOW, and it appears they are not moving any closer in the future. YES! I am telling people to ignore the political arena when it comes to climate change. Nothing is happening there and nothing is going to happen there except continued slow deterioration. That has been the pattern for 30 years. Why should we stick with it? We need to look else where.

Last edited:

Danny Heim

No, I'm saying we need to convince governments and the populace that the environment has real tangible value outside of simple raw materials to be extracted.

For example, the Kenyan rain-forests have recently been accessed and valued at 1.3 billion US$ annually. Due to their vital impact on every aspect of the Kenyan economy. Thus, preservation of the rain-forest is far more economically logical than short term resource extraction.

BBC News - Placing a value on Kenya's largest forest

By explaining the real value of the forest you increase it's chances of being preserved... Ultimately humans with preaching does nothing when people are faced with practical needs like food, shelter and livelihood.

ill choose their own short term comfort over long term sustainability (even us environmentalists)... we are terrible at long term planning.

So, you think if you go around the world and educate people on economic soundness and give then a perspective of value, that it is going to stop a 100 foot wave coming at them in about 75 years. No, it is not. This is where our biggest problem lies, that many think that mitigation is still a viable solution, WRONG. WE are way past that. And that forest you mentioned most likely will burn up, better preach at them to find shelter elsewhere, AND PREACH VERY LOUD, YELL IT AT THEM, WAKE THEM UP!! Study, learn.

Yes we are terrible at long term planning. Well, we better get over it.

JustAsking

Educational Use Only
So, you think if you go around the world and educate people on economic soundness and give then a perspective of value, that it is going to stop a 100 foot wave coming at them in about 75 years. No, it is not. This is where our biggest problem lies, that many think that mitigation is still a viable solution, WRONG. WE are way past that. And that forest you mentioned most likely will burn up, better preach at them to find shelter elsewhere, AND PREACH VERY LOUD, YELL IT AT THEM, WAKE THEM UP!! Study, learn.

Just because a disaster, of some origin and magnitude, will happen in the future, does not mean we should abandon someone or something and call it quits.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle

Do you know what happens when you simply preach at people.... they ignore you as a crackpot.

The only way we will preserve anything is by getting the governments of the nations involved to understand it's in their best interests.... that means carrots not sticks.

I'm not simply talking about mitigation... I'm talking about strategies for changing things.

But if you want to keep preaching and wondering why people ignore or ridicule you... be my guest.:beach:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I would argue that part of the problem is that most of us are irrationally scared of the most economical option: Nuclear fission power. Once your main power grid doesn't produce carbon dioxide, then climate change becomes far less of a problem. (though doesn't quite go away.)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I would argue that part of the problem is that most of us are irrationally scared of the most economical option: Nuclear fission power. Once your main power grid doesn't produce carbon dioxide, then climate change becomes far less of a problem. (though doesn't quite go away.)
I try to keep my concerns about fission rational (including the fact that it isn't economical). :cool:

But we need a major infrastructure overhaul in the USA to accommodate a low carbon power structure.

The fact is, with the economy the way it is... no one is going to be willing to pay for what needs to be done. Just returning taxes to Regan era levels throws people into apoplectic fits.

They are perfectly happy to burn coal if it means they have extra money now. Regardless of the fact that it will cost them more in the long term.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
France is much smaller than the USA and has a very different political atmosphere.

Plus, I don't think simply trading squabbling over oil for squabbling over uranium is going to do us any good as a species.