• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
According to the following by Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī (جلال*الدین محمد رومی),
It is clear from the following that he [Islam] accepts EVOLUTION.
Then why is there differences of opinion?

Philosophical outlook of Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī (جلال*الدین محمد رومی),

Rumi was an evolutionary thinker in the sense that he believed that the spirit after devolution from the divine Ego undergoes an evolutionary process by which it comes nearer and nearer to the same divine Ego.[28] All matter in the universe obeys this law and this movement is due to an inbuilt urge (which Rumi calls "love") to evolve and seek enjoinment with the divinity from which it has emerged. Evolution into a human being from an animal is only one stage in this process. The doctrine of the Fall of Adam is reinterpreted as the devolution of the ego from the universal ground of divinity and is a universal, cosmic phenomenon.[29] This synthesis of evolution and creationism is a culmination of the ideas of Plotinus and of previous Muslim philosophers like Al Farabi. The French philosopher Henri Bergson's idea of life being creative and evolutionary is similar, though unlike Bergson, Rumi believes that there is a specific goal to the process: the attainment of God. For Rumi, God is the ground as well as the goal of all existence.
“
I died as a mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was Man.
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as Man, to soar
With angels bless'd; but even from angelhood
I must pass on: all except God doth perish.
When I have sacrificed my angel-soul,
I shall become what no mind e'er conceived.
Oh, let me not exist! for Non-existence
Proclaims in organ tones,
To Him we shall return.
”
از جمادی مُردم و نامی شدم — وز نما مُردم بحیوان سرزدم
مُردم از حیوانی و آدم شدم — پس چه ترسم کی ز مردم کم شدم
حملهء دیگر بمیرم از بشر — تا برآرم از ملایک بال و پر
وز ملک هم بایدم جستن ز جو — کل شییء هالک الاوجهه
بار دیگر از ملک پران شوم — آنچه اندر وهم ناید آن شوم
پس عدم گردم عدم چو ارغنون — گویدم کانا الیه راجعون

Comments, please.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Luminous,

Thank you for the link; unfortunately was unable to connect at this time [host server down etc.] shall try later.
Surprising that having posted this in a general section and then here under sufism and even after so many days not one islam followers have responded.
Does it mean that sufism is not a branch of islam?
Yet to get a clear picture to understand the same from islamic members.
Love & rgds

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Many Muslims have argued with that that Evolution is said in the Qur'an/Hadiths. like christians have said in t.v. that Jesus talked about AIDS. some say God started Evolution, others say they don't have to believe in Evolution because it isn't 100% provable and is mostly logic with lots of evidence. Most say that the man meant that ONLY Spirit evolves and that animals are not our bretherin. and God created Adam and Eve like tradition says.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Luminous,
Whatever may have been said in the holy books could have always been misinterpreted or interpreted according to the readers perception BUT why cannot an individual discuss such issues. Yes evolution is not provable but why did Rumi talk about it. Surely he could understand about the subject and if so why cannot others discuss about it.
Christians on the other hand are free to speak for and against the various points as per their personal thinking which is healthy and helps in individual growth.,
Thanks for your response.
Love & rgds

A-ManESL

Those verses do not mean Rumi is an evolutionary thinker in the sense that you are interpreting it. He is not talking of biological evolution here. Rather he refering to the spiritual evolution of a man. Man was first akin to a dead non-living thing but with the grace of God by self destruction (see the fanaa article on wikipedia) he gradually lost all perception of duality between God and him (non-existence). That's how Al-Farabi interpreted it too in case you are interested. For people like Rumi, merging religious dogmas with science was of no importance whatsoever. Moreover Rumi lived hundreds of years before Darwin.

A-ManESL

Does it mean that sufism is not a branch of islam?
Sufism is a mystical tradition of Islam. It is not a branch or sect like Shia/Sunni.

While many individual Muslims have varying ideas about Evolution, my personal belief about Evolution (and I am a Muslim) is that the Quran is being metaphorical when it talks about the fall if Adam as is the Bible.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Those verses do not mean Rumi is an evolutionary thinker in the sense that you are interpreting it. He is not talking of biological evolution here. Rather he refering to the spiritual evolution of a man. Man was first akin to a dead non-living thing but with the grace of God by self destruction (see the fanaa article on wikipedia) he gradually lost all perception of duality between God and him (non-existence). That's how Al-Farabi interpreted it too in case you are interested. For people like Rumi, merging religious dogmas with science was of no importance whatsoever. Moreover Rumi lived hundreds of years before Darwin.

A-ManESL you are right...

Hazrath Jalaluddin Rumi was expressing the Evolution of Man through spirituality...

:) xxx

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Sufism is a mystical tradition of Islam. It is not a branch or sect like Shia/Sunni.

While many individual Muslims have varying ideas about Evolution, my personal belief about Evolution (and I am a Muslim) is that the Quran is being metaphorical when it talks about the fall if Adam as is the Bible.

A-ManESL i think we have had a debate on this already-Sufism is not of Islam Lol...

Do refer again to my previous posts and threads concerning the truth of Sufism(Spiritualism,Mysticism,Ascestisicm and Divine Love) :) xxx