• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution of what?

Eli G

I've asked this before and not received an answer, but do Jehovah's Witnesses receive some sort of training in the use of emojis in online conversations?

It seems prolific among the posters of that faith group.

Does it help? Do you get some sort of psychological boost from it when you don't really have anything else?

I'm just curious.
We replaced the cheerleaders that the atheists have on the forum... :p

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
We replaced the cheerleaders that the atheists have on the forum... :p
Again, no answer.

I'll just consider the practice a response where there is no relative, contextual substance and emojis are substituted to appeal to the emotions of the person making the response. That seems to fit the evidence.

I am unware that willful ignorance requires cheering on?

GardenLady

I've asked this before and not received an answer, but do Jehovah's Witnesses receive some sort of training in the use of emojis in online conversations?

I have wondered the same about training in extensive proof-texting. Much of which seems to jump from book to book and chapter to chapter in a way that appears to me to be designed to prevent the listener from effectively contemplating the presentation lest he/she lose track in all the page-turning.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I have wondered the same about training in extensive proof-texting. Much of which seems to jump from book to book and chapter to chapter in a way that appears to me to be designed to prevent the listener from effectively contemplating the presentation lest he/she lose track in all the page-turning.
Maybe it is just me, but I always get the sense of obfuscation. Sometimes in the manner of the Gish gallop. But that is often what is seen as a technique employed with literalist/creationist positions in general.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
What have we learned here?

1. The environment doesn't change to meet the needs of living things. Populations of living things respond to the environment.
2. This response in the form of heritable changes that effect fitness drives the evolution of those populations.
3. Apples do not evolve into bananas and no one outside of creationists makes that claim.
4. Most scientists accept the theory of evolution.
5. People that accept the theory of evolution are not called evolutionists except by those denying the theory for baseless personal and emotional reasons.
6. The theory of evolution, like all scientific theories, is based on evidence and offers the best explanation of that evidence that is available.

Eli G

There's that indirect response thing with even more emojis.

I'll let you know when I'm done with you.

I'm having a great day.
:oops: It sounds like you have an obsession...

Someone told me somewhere here that some of the atheists here are so agressive with believers because they carry with them a trauma since when they were religious... I was born and raise as a JW in a communist country and I do not carry any trauma with me, so

In a scenario where God will save loyal worshippers, believers are survivors,
And since believers are not so easily traumatized, nor so unhealthyly obsessed with what others decide to believe... in the scenario where stronger people will survive, the future belongs to believers also.

At the end being a believer is smarter. Sorry for you guys.
Have a nice weekend ... I got my weekend meeting soon. We do have a lot of brothers and sisters to talk to. :hugehug:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Someone told me somewhere here that some of the atheists here are so agressive with believers because they carry with them a trauma since when they were religious... I was born and raise as a JW in a communist country and I do not carry any trauma with me, so

And since believers are not so easily traumatized, nor so unhealthyly obsessed with what others decide to believe... in the scenario where stronger people will survive, the future belongs to believers also.

Have a nice weekend ... I got my weekend meeting soon. We do have a lot of brothers and sisters to talk to. :hugehug:

Dan is Christian.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

It seems prolific among the posters of that faith group.

Does it help? Do you get some sort of psychological boost from it when you don't really have anything else?

I'm just curious.
Yes:p They are great!!:cool: Changing font size, and using bold letters helps too!!! Oh? Did I forget excessive use of punctuation marks?!?!!?$$$

Color is very convincing too!

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

I don't really care. This has nothing to do with supporting what you claim. It's all just words to no meaningful end. Self-aggrandizement to no valuable purpose as I see it.

I wonder how much of a winner a person is to have to resort to things like this?

gnostic

The Lost One

as far as I know, Dan isn’t an atheist.

calling a person atheist, just because he disagree with your personal views or beliefs, only demonstrates that you are anti-science, and you make empty accusation of person being atheist.

people can be atheists, theists or any other -isms, and still accept Evolution as biological and scientific facts, but accusing theist of being atheist is just rude.

There are plenty of Christians and jews, here at RF, have accepted Evolution as science.

but more importantly, Evolution isn’t a religion. Also Evolution isn’t atheism.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Wow.
It is amazing how much you can still say with your foot so firmly in your mouth...

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Then how do you explain the endless scientific evidence that says that we did descend from apes and none to the contrary. There is no scientific evidence for creationism.
f5dvh.jpg

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Psss, so much arrogance! :rolleyes:

Tell that to transsexuals and age regressors :D

What if someone wants to be a banana? ;)
I have no clue what your point is. But weekend reading on animals who routinely change their sex.
https://www.science.org/content/article/knowing-when-change-sex
As a practicing scientist and university faculty teaching graduate and undergraduate students as well as making representation about the status of various technologies to govt bodies, I routinely speak for the scientific consensus. So it's my job to speak for science. Nothing arrogant about it

Heyo

Veteran Member

I also don't carry any trauma since I never believed.

But to explain the "obsession" of some science minded people here: we frequently have "hit and run" creationists. Some of us see it as their duty to show to any ingenuous reader how and why the creationists are wrong lest their tactic works on younger and less educated members.
We have different opinions of when that is accomplished. I think that you are no longer a danger as you have thoroughly embarrassed yourself. Others are more meticulous.
But then again, I'm not a working scientist nor am I any kind of teacher, just an interested lay person. Scientists and teachers have an assignment to keep the population informed.