• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution Intuitive?

MSizer

MSizer
I suspect if Darwin was alive today he would admit a lot of things about his theory.

Since in my "creationism=dishonesty" post I accidentally implicated more poeple than I sincerely meant to, I'll back out here out of respect for those creationists whom are so due sincerely to lack of information.

As for Ken "snowflake" Ham, The bananaman, the bananaman's bch, peanut butter man, Hovind and others like them, my comment stands.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I suspect if Darwin was alive today he would admit a lot of things about his theory.
I suspect that you are so stuck on Darwinism that you cannot see the fact that evolution has progressed significantly since Darwin's time.

Yet here you are, in the year 2010, refuting things that Darwin said thinking that you have declared some life altering fact.

Sad really.

McBell

Since in my "creationism=dishonesty" post I accidentally implicated more poeple than I sincerely meant to, I'll back out here out of respect for those creationists whom are so due sincerely to lack of information.

As for Ken "snowflake" Ham, The bananaman, the bananaman's bch, peanut butter man, Hovind and others like them, my comment stands.
Yes, the willfully ignorant and intentionally dishonest creationists give the rest of them a bad name.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Does the concept of evolution make sense to you intuitively? Ignoring specific details about biology, fossils, etc., does the concept of many small changes resulting in significant changes over extended periods, ring true to you?
Sure. That's its aesthetic appeal, in a nutshell.

McBell

"The rest of them" are only such because of the willfull ignorance and dishonesty of the bad few.
I agree.
However, I do not believe that the sins of the father should be paid for by the son.

I am not God, after all.

ragordon168

quite right. but so would newton, coulomb, ohmn, etc. every theory created in the past has been modified have a dozen times as the technology has improved. im sure in 50 years all modern quantum theories will have been changed as measurement technology advances.

saying a historic scientist was wrong proves nothing, the modern theory could have no bearing on the original hypothesis

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
His theory is essentially sound, just rudimentary.
If today's biologists don't find serious fault with it, why would he?

meogi

atotalstranger said:
Does the concept of evolution make sense to you intuitively? Ignoring specific details about biology, fossils, etc., does the concept of many small changes resulting in significant changes over extended periods, ring true to you?
How doe life procreate? Generally, parent(s) -> offspring, with varying differences, but mostly similar traits. I find it hard to believe anyone would believe otherwise.

The problem lies with differing perceptions of Earth's time line.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Evolution doesn't make sense to me intuitively...it makes sense to me intellectually.

droog1

I expect that in nature because I see it. I don't see Darwinism so I don't expect it. If I walk one block or across the country I am still me.

Man of Faith, with all due respect. You cannot see evolution because you aren't looking in the right direction.

Please take a look at the blind cave fish on any web site that has a picture. You will notice eye sockets on these things. A blind animal with eye sockets. Why? Because long ago in the past, these little animals had eyes. After millenia of living in darkness, these little creatures had no more use for their eyes, and they evolved into an animal that could no longer see. Or did an intelligent designer create a creature with eye sockets that it never needed? Not a very good design, imho.
Take a look at the human species also please. You know how big and bad the Spartan army of 480 b.c. was? According to archeological evidence, these dudes were no bigger than five foot five and 130 lbs. Doesn't mean they weren't bad *****, it's just that humans were a much smaller creature 2500 years ago.
Ever seen armor from the medieval days? You'd swear they were made for today's teenagers. The human animal has certainly evolved into a larger creature than we were in the past. Archeological evidence most certainly supports this.

The claim has been made in this thread about how some of Darwins' theories did not pan out in today's science. Of course not. He wrote "On Origin of Species" in 1859. 1859, man. I can think of no science or anything in our world that has not grown and changed since 1859. Medicine, technology, all of it. Darwin's ideas were, for the most part, dead on and got the ball rolling as far as who we are as a species and where we came from.

Sure, Man of Faith, you may not see a change in yourself from walking a block or across the country, but in a few millenia you most certainly will......

Sir, the valid evidence is out there, it just needs looked at with an open mind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The ToE does more than make intuitive sense to me. Viewing life & environment as a system, evolution is an inevitable response to these features: competition to survive & reproduce, genes as a blueprint, genetic mutation, & a long time frame (billions of years). Add a changing environment to these basic requirements, & evolution will have even greater diversity. As a recovering engineer who designed control systems, I'm doomed to see things thru this lens.

Walkntune

Intuition is knowledge without reason. How can evolution make sense intuitively?

Intuitively, yes evolution makes sense. Even without knowing any of the science behind it, the fact that there are so many types of everything, and those types aren't so different from other things,atonomically speaking, seems to point to life as an evolving thing. In a case of special creation we should expect to see radically different types of life forms, rather than variations of essentially the same thing.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I find remarkable is that something so obvious and reasonable wasn't hit upon by the ancients. After all, everyone's always been aware that offspring are not all identical, that they have different strengths and weaknesses. They've also been aware that physical features can be passed on -- selective breeding was practiced long before Darwin. And it seems pretty obvious that those with thicker fur would do better in a cold climate, those with longer legs could evade predators better or reach widespread resources more easily, &c.
It's amazing no-one put 2+2 together before.

More amazing is now that it is scientific fact it still has vehement detractors. Just goes to show that what is actually true isn't really that important to many people.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why aren't there quantam or relitively deniers? Talk about arcane and counter-intuitive...

David M

What I find remarkable is that something so obvious and reasonable wasn't hit upon by the ancients. After all, everyone's always been aware that offspring are not all identical, that they have different strengths and weaknesses. They've also been aware that physical features can be passed on -- selective breeding was practiced long before Darwin. And it seems pretty obvious that those with thicker fur would do better in a cold climate, those with longer legs could evade predators better or reach widespread resources more easily, &c.
It's amazing no-one put 2+2 together before.

It might have been in some form, remember we don't have a complete records or knowledge from ancient times. We know cultures practiced artificial selection of livestock so they certainly were part way there.

Yerda

Veteran Member
It makes intuitive sense to me know that I've studied biology. It was about as counter intuitive as ideas come when I first heard it.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Why aren't there quantam or relitively deniers? Talk about arcane and counter-intuitive...
Because it has nothing to do with intuitiveness or the strength of the science. It's about little more than religious dogma. Had the Bible said something like, "Time stays the same no matter what" or "You can know the position and velocity of things no matter how small", fundamentalist Christians would be pushing school boards and state legislatures to weaken the teachings of "the hoax that is relativity" or "the failed hypothesis of quantum mechanics".