• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution has never been observed

Acim

Revelation all the time
I know that it is of no use to try and have a reasonable conversation , but her goes for intelligent people.

Sounds very objective and no bias here.

No in the slightest. It’s up to the objective evidence. Objective evidence is not “up to” anyone. It’s reality. It’s fact. The fact that people are not educated enough to know what it means, won’t change reality.

Seems clear to me that you are not responding to the point at hand, but instead wishing to address what you subjectively think was being stated. I do appreciate your inadvertent assistance in making my point (up to you really).

Existing, objective evidence certainly is very helpful in determining whether one should ‘believe’ in things or not.

"Should" believe or not is, IMO, very dangerous territory. I would wonder to what degree that "should" is carried with you? This is antithesis of "up to you really" and is no longer about free thinking, but about what 'standard says you need to believe' (or not believe).

Sets of data are not premises. They’re facts.

Interesting claim. Curious what, if any, margin of error you would allow for in these data sets? And this is assuming we have accepted, without critical / philosophical investigation of, the base data.

Even more curious how you understand the word 'fact?'

That’s why the word “observe’ is used together with “empirical” in science. Things like atoms have been empirically observed, but never seen directly. The effects of atoms certainly have been objectively observed.

Never seen directly equals empirical observation? And effects of items unseen are (themselves) objectively observed? I'm guessing that is not what you meant, but do mean that the effects are objectively observed.

And yet, if someone comes along as says the effects of God are objectively observed, we are to disallow that because well, God is unseen. Interesting how that works, and this isn't akin to any sort of word salad BS. I can objectively observe the effects of something that is not observable. Makes sense in scientific circles to say that, but if spiritual person says, I can objectively observe the effects of God who is not observable, then we need to scrutinize every single aspect of that assertion, starting with, um, well you see, if God is not seen, then uh, no, you are gravely mistaken about what you are attributing the effects to. And we'll call this 'informed' and 'reasonable.'

Observe from the Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1987:
Observe (-z-) v. 1. v.t. keep, follow, adhere to, perform duly, (law command, appointed time, method, principle, silence, rite, anniversary, etc.)

So, it is not 1 that we are debating.

2. perceive, mark, watch, take notice of, become conscious of, (person, thing, that, how); the~ed of all~ers, person etc. on whom etc. attention is concentrated.

Could be 2 that we are referencing, though would easily include all empirical data correlating to introspection.

3. examine and note (phenonema0 without aid of experiment.

I would say for sake of science, this is not applicable to our discussion. Unless we merely remove the "without aid of experiment" part.

4. say, esp. by way of comment.

Clearly not applicable to our discussion.

5. v.i. make remarks (s) on.

Clearly not applicable.

6. Hence~able a. (ME, f. of observer f. L OB(servare keep) watch, attend to].

May be applicable, and is the least clear definition of the 6.

That’s why the words empirical and objective are used with the word ‘evidence’ in science. Evidence has to be objectively observed. Not directly observed, but empirically observed. It doen't mean "directly". Nothing supernatural has ever been empirically observed. Nature has.

You are not explaining why the words are together, other than to say, "it is not directly observable, it is empirically and objectively observed." Again, no explanation, just an appeal to false authority. It must be done this way, because this is how it is done.

Acim

Revelation all the time
So, picking up on main vein of this thread, and going back to post #150.

In this material, we are still in section 2 of 7, titled "Patterns."

And in this post, I'm going with subsection titled, "Understanding Phylogenies (1 of 2)."

Understanding a phylogeny is a lot like reading a family tree. The root of the tree represents the ancestral lineage, and the tips of the branches represent the descendents of that ancestor. As you move from the root to the tips, you are moving forward in time.

I get this. How I understand it is, "here is a model for understanding relationships within taxonomy of evolutionary theory." Plus idea that the latest descendants (most recent) are on one of the tree, let's call that furthest branches, and earliest descendant(s) are on another end of tree, let's call that the root(s).

I put earliest descendants and roots in plural because that makes sense to me. Parallel evolution or another term that I can't think of off hand, but mentioned in this thread earlier, do suggest that there could be multiple common ancestors. So, to assume only one seems implausible to me at this time.

I also just want to be clear that my understanding the model, and following along with it in an intelligent way, doesn't mean a) that I explicitly agree with the model, nor b) that I think it is most intelligent way of understanding things. And to all the debaters out there, this admission I'm making now doesn't mean I have a much better way of understanding these things that I need to stop and convey that to you before anything else occurs.

When a lineage splits (speciation), it is represented as branching on a phylogeny. When a speciation event occurs, a single ancestral lineage gives rise to two or more daughter lineages.

To be clear and I do seek clarification here (from anyone reading this): speciation equals splits / divergence in lineage, yes?

For sake of following the model and just describing the pattern I don't need to know why that occurs, but I am curious about that far more than I am about the model being presented, and I'm sure for those reading this that wish I'd just get to the meat, my curiosity is something they already feel well aware of and can't wait for me to get there. All in good time my pretties, all in good time.

Not sure I understand specification of "two or more daughter lineages." i would guess it is because daughters / females carry reproductive means, and so for the split to have consequence beyond life of one organism, the female / reproductive organisms need to happen, otherwise speciation may not occur. If I am somehow misunderstanding this, feel free to chime in and clarify.

Phylogenies trace patterns of shared ancestry between lineages. Each lineage has a part of its history that is unique to it alone and parts that are shared with other lineages.

Hmm, this is where things get a tad tricky for me. I'll say this, for the model to make sense in how I understand the model, this is pretty much obvious. But for the model to represent the 'observed data' in an accurate way, I am simply left with more questions than looking at this as an answer. My questions don't, right now, amount to "I disagree with all of it, and doubt that it is at all possible." Not even close to that, but more in vein of, "how do we know something has shared ancestry, and how do we know that history is unique (or distinct) to the organism and also has unique traits that are shared lineage? Again, I'm guessing the material will get to this (eventually), but I am asking this to let anyone know that just because the model says it is so, doesn't mean I agree that this must be so apart from the model.

Similarly, each lineage has ancestors that are unique to that lineage and ancestors that are shared with other lineages—common ancestors.

And similar to previous point, I get this with the (simplistic) model, and question it with the observable data.

Already done with this page (part 1 of 2) and moving to next.

Understanding Phylogenies (2 of 2)

A clade is a grouping that includes a common ancestor and all the descendents (living and extinct) of that ancestor. Using a phylogeny, it is easy to tell if a group of lineages forms a clade. Imagine clipping a single branch off the phylogeny—all of the organisms on that pruned branch make up a clade.

I do think I get clade and would say the pictorial representations make it easier to understand (I think) than trying to explain it and cover more than 1 variation of clade. For me, this just means within the model, we wish to distinguish certain branches from others in a sensible way. If there is a common ancestor for all branches at a root, then reality is all clades are related at a particular point.

Clades are nested within one another—they form a nested hierarchy. A clade may include many thousands of species or just a few. Some examples of clades at different levels are marked on the phylogenies below. Notice how clades are nested within larger clades.

I have noticed this. Understanding this pattern does feel helpful, but also feels like I'm asked to 'believe' something that may not translate real well to other portions, down the road. Since that remains to be seen, let me just leave it as, I think I understand clade sufficiently, given the model.

So far, we’ve said that the tips of a phylogeny represent descendent lineages. Depending on how many branches of the tree you are including however, the descendents at the tips might be different populations of a species, different species, or different clades, each composed of many species.

My translation, the simpler the model, the less accurate it may be (likely is) given awareness of entire data set. Furthermore, a simpler model will likely increase understanding for novice, while advanced model may confuse even an advanced learner.

It would seem though if phylogeny is important (and from some I'm guessing it is paramount) that the most accurate model is the best model, even if it is ridiculously large in scope.

Next up (in next post) is subsection titled "Tree Building" in the Patterns section.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Housekeeping update. I had hoped to do this with OP, but I can (for some reason) no longer edit that post. So perhaps I will have to do this sort of housekeeping periodically in this thread.

Here are the posts (by me) in this thread that are intended to be in line with OP:

• Post #3: Evolution has never been observed (Part 1)
  • Post #4: Evolution has never been observed (Part 2)
  • Post #7: Re: Observed Instances of Speciation (Part 1)
  • Post #48: Re: Observed Instances of Speciation (Part 2)
  • Post #60: Re: Observed Instances of Speciation (Part 3)
  • Post #74: Re: Observed Instances of Speciation (Part 4)
  • Post #85: Summary understanding of Observed Instances of Speciation (Part 1)
  • Post #98: Re: Evolution 101 (Intro)
  • Post #100: Re: Evolution 101 - Definition (Part 1)
  • Post #104: Re: Evolution 101 - Definition (Part 2)
  • Post #121: Re: Evolution 101 - Patterns (Part 1)
  • Post #150: Re: Evolution 101 - Patterns (Part 2)
  • Post #202: Re: Evolution 101 - Patterns - Phylogenies (Part 1 and 2)

outhouse

Atheistically
this thread has gone no where.

evolution has been observed. This is a fact.

you have not even given a decent rebuttle to the facts at hand.

Acim

Revelation all the time
You are welcome to leave.

Or not. Up to you really. Objectively speaking of course.

So far we have established, more or less, that biological evolution is not directly observed in most, perhaps all instances. And doesn't really need to be, given the vast amount of inferred evidence(s).

Your impatience though does humor me. I must be onto something if such thoughts keep popping up with utter denial as their only basis.

otokage007

So far we have established, more or less, that biological evolution is not directly observed in most, perhaps all instances. And doesn't really need to be, given the vast amount of inferred evidence(s).

Truth is evolution can be easily seen in bacteria with very cheap experiments that can be performed even in middle-school laboratories.

And please, don't tell me you can't see it "directly" because you don't see the DNA moving around and mutating live. ¬¬

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
So, picking up on main vein of this thread, and going back to post #150.
In this material, we are still in section 2 of 7, titled "Patterns."
And in this post, I'm going with subsection titled, "Understanding Phylogenies (1 of 2)."

I get this. How I understand it is, "here is a model for understanding relationships within taxonomy of evolutionary theory." Plus idea that the latest descendants (most recent) are on one of the tree, let's call that furthest branches, and earliest descendant(s) are on another end of tree, let's call that the root(s).

I put earliest descendants and roots in plural because that makes sense to me. Parallel evolution or another term that I can't think of off hand, but mentioned in this thread earlier, do suggest that there could be multiple common ancestors. So, to assume only one seems implausible to me at this time.

I also just want to be clear that my understanding the model, and following along with it in an intelligent way, doesn't mean a) that I explicitly agree with the model, nor b) that I think it is most intelligent way of understanding things. And to all the debaters out there, this admission I'm making now doesn't mean I have a much better way of understanding these things that I need to stop and convey that to you before anything else occurs.

To be clear and I do seek clarification here (from anyone reading this): speciation equals splits / divergence in lineage, yes?
Yup.

For sake of following the model and just describing the pattern I don't need to know why that occurs, but I am curious about that far more than I am about the model being presented, and I'm sure for those reading this that wish I'd just get to the meat, my curiosity is something they already feel well aware of and can't wait for me to get there. All in good time my pretties, all in good time.

Not sure I understand specification of "two or more daughter lineages." i would guess it is because daughters / females carry reproductive means, and so for the split to have consequence beyond life of one organism, the female / reproductive organisms need to happen, otherwise speciation may not occur. If I am somehow misunderstanding this, feel free to chime in and clarify.
"Daughter" is just poetic language. It's just a split into multiple lineages.

Hmm, this is where things get a tad tricky for me. I'll say this, for the model to make sense in how I understand the model, this is pretty much obvious. But for the model to represent the 'observed data' in an accurate way, I am simply left with more questions than looking at this as an answer. My questions don't, right now, amount to "I disagree with all of it, and doubt that it is at all possible." Not even close to that, but more in vein of, "how do we know something has shared ancestry, and how do we know that history is unique (or distinct) to the organism and also has unique traits that are shared lineage? Again, I'm guessing the material will get to this (eventually), but I am asking this to let anyone know that just because the model says it is so, doesn't mean I agree that this must be so apart from the model.
I"m sure none of us think you are going to agree with the model "just because". ;)

And similar to previous point, I get this with the (simplistic) model, and question it with the observable data.

Already done with this page (part 1 of 2) and moving to next.

I do think I get clade and would say the pictorial representations make it easier to understand (I think) than trying to explain it and cover more than 1 variation of clade. For me, this just means within the model, we wish to distinguish certain branches from others in a sensible way. If there is a common ancestor for all branches at a root, then reality is all clades are related at a particular point.
Yeah, all clades are related if you go back far enough.

I have noticed this. Understanding this pattern does feel helpful, but also feels like I'm asked to 'believe' something that may not translate real well to other portions, down the road. Since that remains to be seen, let me just leave it as, I think I understand clade sufficiently, given the model.

My translation, the simpler the model, the less accurate it may be (likely is) given awareness of entire data set. Furthermore, a simpler model will likely increase understanding for novice, while advanced model may confuse even an advanced learner.

It would seem though if phylogeny is important (and from some I'm guessing it is paramount) that the most accurate model is the best model, even if it is ridiculously large in scope.

Next up (in next post) is subsection titled "Tree Building" in the Patterns section.
Trees can be simplified for easier understanding. Here is a full tree for just the mammals (this is in turn a branch of the larger tree of life)
Supertree.jpg

wa:do

camanintx

This is where endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) come in to play. While orthologous ERVs by themselves may be explained by other processes, their comparative discontinuities, shared mutations and comparative nested hierarchies can only be explained by common ancestry.

ERVs - Evidence for the Evolutionary Model

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You are welcome to leave.

Or not. Up to you really. Objectively speaking of course.

So far we have established, more or less, that biological evolution is not directly observed in most, perhaps all instances.

Actually is has. Case in point would be the Nylon Eating Bacteria. We can't assume, as creationist do, that this particular bacteria had built into it the ability to adapt and consume a man made substance that hadn't even been created.

There are other instances of observed evolution. We know that influenza is highly resistant to certain vaccines which forces biologist back to the lab to find solutions to combat it. But even without any observed instances we have enough information to conclude that evolution is a theory based on facts.

It is impossible, at this point in time, to present any evidence of creation, whether by a god or some supposed "intelligent" being. The data is just not there.

Now that we have established that Evolution has indeed been observed...what should we do with this thread?

logician

By definition evolution is always going on, as it is simply the change of life thru time. To say it hasn't been observed simply is totally false.

Acim

Revelation all the time
And with that understanding of evolution, to say Creationism a) denies it or b) didn't already convey it in doctrine would be simply totally false.

Btw, thanks for the bump on this thread, it is about time I got back to 'work.'

Acim

Revelation all the time
Now that we have established that Evolution has indeed been observed...what should we do with this thread?

Hasn't been established. If you have material that suggests otherwise, put it in the line of what is on other thread and trust it will be gotten to. If it is really vital, and able to stand up to scrutiny of any sort, then I would insist it is first on that list. But I've already changed gears (resources) once in this thread based on person in other thread and resources to be read, so I feel unlikely to do that again anytime soon, unless say painted wolf strongly suggests I take break from current course to go read material you or anyone else says needs to be read to 'establish something' that so far at least 3 people on this thread (who are 'not me') have said, "well it's not directly observed...."

Acim

Revelation all the time
I'm honestly surprised you all hang around this thread.

I find that fascinating and can guess why that is, though here's the part where you all get to act like vultures and spin it another way.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'm honestly surprised you all hang around this thread.

I find that fascinating and can guess why that is, though here's the part where you all get to act like vultures and spin it another way.

Conversely, I'm not at all surprised that you hang around this thread.

The psychological reasons are pretty transparent, and, to be honest, not at all fascinating. Carry on though.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Not at all fascinating, and yet, here you are reading this sentence. And likely the next 20 posts I do here.

Hypo
Crisy