• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution Deniers more Bigoted

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That has nothing to do with choice, if I am not mistaken.

Correct, your gender self-understanding and sexulity has nothing to with choice. Just like all other human. You are telling me that you chose to be heterosexual and feel like a male, right. It is a lifestyle choice, and you could just as well choose homosexual and female, which would make you a lesbian trans-woman.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I think that is self evident. What is a thief's lifestyle? What is a heterosexual married lifestyle? What is two people living together lifestyle? Self-evident.
Well, I don't know what you mean, so it can't be all that self-evident.

I don't see how an LGBTQ person's "lifestyle" is any different from a bisexual person's lifestyle or a heterosexual person's "lifestyle." Sexual orientation, gender, sex, etc. aren't lifestyles, imo.

How do you choose where you want to work? How do you choose whether to use profanity or not use it? How do you choose to run or walk? You simply choose.
Without knowing what you actually mean by "LGBT lifestyle" I can't really respond to this, but I don't see how they relate.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yeah, just choose another gender and sexual preference.
You can't choose gender... you are, most of the time, XX or XY.

Preference:
Merriam Webster;

Definition of preference

1a: the act of preferring : the state of being preferred
b: the power or opportunity of choosing

As you so clearly stated... "sexual preference" - a choice

Kenny

Premium Member
Well, I don't know what you mean, so it can't be all that self-evident.

I don't see how an LGBTQ person's "lifestyle" is any different from a bisexual person's lifestyle or a heterosexual person's "lifestyle." Sexual orientation, gender, sex, etc. aren't lifestyles, imo.

Without knowing what you actually mean by "LGBT lifestyle" I can't really respond to this, but I don't see how they relate.
At this point, it seems more like we are playing with words/

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You can't choose gender... you are, most of the time, XX or XY.

Preference:
Merriam Webster;

Definition of preference

1a: the act of preferring : the state of being preferred
b: the power or opportunity of choosing

As you so clearly stated... "sexual preference" - a choice

Biological sex and gender are not the same.
Google:
noun
  1. 1.
    either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.

Kenny

Premium Member
Do you think you have a choice in say, what your favourite colour is or what foods you find tasty?

I LOVE ice-scream as food. I CHOOSE not to eat ice-cream because of its sugar content. So, yes, I have a choice. If I choose to eat 1 gallon a day of ice-cream, I have now chosen to make it my lifestyle.

I think that is pretty clear for understanding.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
At this point, it seems more like we are playing with words/
That would appear to be you. The phrase "LBGQ lifestyle" and those like it are usually used as a slur against LGBQ people. That you could not properly define your phrase indicates that you were using it that way.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I LOVE ice-scream as food. I CHOOSE not to eat ice-cream because of its sugar content. So, yes, I have a choice. If I choose to eat 1 gallon a day of ice-cream, I have now chosen to make it my lifestyle.

I think that is pretty clear for understanding.
So when did you decide to be straight?.

Kenny

Premium Member
Biological sex and gender are not the same.
Google:
noun
  1. 1.
    either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
I disagree.... that is a modern twisting of the word gender to accommodate personal preference. I understand, of course, that people can change meanings if they so choose but it remains a modern twisting of the word gender

Etymology of "gender"

gender (n.)
c. 1300, "kind, sort, class, a class or kind of persons or things sharing certain traits," from Old French gendre, genre "kind, species; character; gender" (12c., Modern French genre), from stem of Latin genus (genitive generis) "race, stock, family; kind, rank, order; species," also "(male or female) sex," from PIE root *gene- "give birth, beget," with derivatives referring to procreation and familial and tribal groups.

Also used in Latin to translate Aristotle's Greek grammatical term genos. The grammatical sense is attested in English from late 14c. The unetymological -d- is a phonetic accretion in Old French (compare sound (n.1)).

The "male-or-female sex" sense is attested in English from early 15c. As sex (n.) took on erotic qualities in 20c., gender came to be the usual English word for "sex of a human being," in which use it was at first regarded as colloquial or humorous. Later often in feminist writing with reference to social attributes as much as biological qualities; this sense first attested 1963. Gender-bender is from 1977, popularized from 1980, with reference to pop star David Bowie.

So, I will continue to teach it as its original purpose and not the modern accommodation of what someone wants it to mean.

gender | Etymology, origin and meaning of gender by etymonline

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm just trying to figure out what you're talking about.
For something so self-evident, you seem to be having a difficult time explaining what you're talking about.
I thought it was quite clear. I'm having a difficult time how you don't understand what I'm talking about.