• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution Deniers more Bigoted

Firelight

Inactive member
People who reject the theory of human evolution tend to have more bigoted attitudes

"Individuals who accept human evolution tend to exhibit reduced levels of prejudice compared to those who reject the scientific theory, according to new research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. The study indicates that disbelief in evolution predicts racism and prejudice around the world and in various cultural contexts."

Who knew that denying evolution made one more susceptible to being a bigot.

Who knew that disagreeing with a bigot, as well as labeling someone a bigot, is bigotry?

Firelight

Inactive member
Feel free to explain your reasoning.

The word “bigot” has been misused and overused by name-callers for at least the past 15+ years. Some people will call anyone who holds differing beliefs or points-of-view from their own, a bigot. This is not the correct use or meaning of the word. Anyone who uses the word in this way would also be a bigot because they are showing intolerance for someone else’s belief or point-of-view, too. The people pointing their fingers and name-calling fail to notice their own bigotry.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The word “bigot” has been misused and overused by name-callers for at least the past 15+ years. Some people will call anyone who holds differing beliefs or points-of-view from their own, a bigot. This is not the correct use or meaning of the word. Anyone who uses the word in this way would also be a bigot because they are showing intolerance for someone else’s belief or point-of-view, too. The people pointing their fingers and name-calling fail to notice their own bigotry.

Bigot:
"a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group."

I can see your point.

The downside is Evolution as a Theory has evidenciary support, whereas Creationism does not have a source that is testable. And those that support evolution, change with the evidence as it's presented. I can't say the same for most Creationists/YECs.

I'm an evolutionary creationist, myself. :)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, there is that. But also that some bigots don't recognize that they are bigots. So let's look closer:
Bigot: obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

For example if I called rich people evil, simply for being rich, that would make me a bigot. Now we can go deeper, but in the end, it ends here. To judge a person being wrong based on prejudice or hate without consider if that is relevant in some sense. It is connected to feelings, politics and morality.
The problem is how you and I and everybody else goes about how to judge ourselves and others in regards to our beliefs and behaviours.