• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evil?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think evil comes down to putting your own wants and desires above someone else's rights.

It basically comes down to selfishness and immaturity.

lunamoth

Will to love
If by evil you mean some cosmic polarity in opposition to good, then: no. I don't believe there is any such thing.

I would not quite define evil that way. I think evil gets its force by twisting good.

Do you think evil has any force? Is it something to be reckoned with in the world?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I would not quite define evil that way. I think evil gets its force by twisting good.

Do you think evil has any force? Is it something to be reckoned with in the world?
Then kindly define good and evil for me, please? Are we discussing morality on a cosmic, theological level? :)

lunamoth

Will to love
I think evil comes down to putting your own wants and desires above someone else's rights.

It basically comes down to selfishness and immaturity.

I could agree with that. But it makes it sound not very...consequential. Do you think it is consequential, something destructive, significant? Or a mere annoyance we should be able to deal with easily enough?

lunamoth

Will to love
Then kindly define good and evil for me, please? Are we discussing morality on a cosmic, theological level? :)

We could use buttercups definition for starts. Quagmires post also illuminates the definition of evil. Part of the OP asks 'what is evil?'

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
We could use buttercups definition for starts. Quagmires post also illuminates the definition of evil. Part of the OP asks 'what is evil?'
Ah, but such things unquestionably exist.

What I am asking you is whether you wish to discuss "evil" in terms of cosmic forces or unpleasant happenings. My answer changes depending on yours. :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Would you say then that evil is in the human heart?
If we define evil using my previous term, then yes.

Is evil related to sin?
I don't buy into "sin" in the theological sense. Humans are capable of great evil however.

I could agree with that. But it makes it sound not very...consequential. Do you think it is consequential, something destructive, significant? Or a mere annoyance we should be able to deal with easily enough?
If you are asking if the consequences are evident after the act of evil is performed, I'd say yes oftentimes the act is apparent....to somebody.

Are you also asking if one "pays" for their acts of evil? Not always.

lunamoth

Will to love
Are you also asking if one "pays" for their acts of evil? Not always.

No, I was not asking whether someone pays for their acts of evil. I was asking if evil is something we can get rid of with effort, or that we will evolve past (not biologically, but as a society). Are there any ways to lessen evil in the world? To eradicate it?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
No, I was not asking whether someone pays for their acts of evil. I was asking if evil is something we can get rid of with effort, or that we will evolve past (not biologically, but as a society). Are there any ways to lessen evil in the world? To eradicate it?
There are ways to lessen evil in the world. However, our Western sense of what is "evil" will differ greatly from other universal definitions.

Can "evil" be eradicated? Nope. Should we still try to eradicate "evil"? Yup. :)

Francine

Can "evil" be eradicated? Nope. Should we still try to eradicate "evil"? Yup. :)

Evil is the privation of the good. That means it is already a No-Thing. You can't eradicate what is already a lack. But you can do good to those who harm you, that good may abound.

lunamoth

Will to love
Ah, but such things unquestionably exist.

What I am asking you is whether you wish to discuss "evil" in terms of cosmic forces or unpleasant happenings. My answer changes depending on yours. :)

Do you think evil exists as a cosmic force? I think you've already said you don't believe in evil as a cosmic force in opposition to good. To say that evil has it's own power and is in opposition to good is strongly dualistic and suggests that there is an Anti-God (evil) in equal power to God (good), and that I also reject.

But what if evil is a corruption and twisting and misdirection of what should be good? Is that something you would fit into your cosmic view? :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Evil is the privation of the good. That means it is already a No-Thing. You can't eradicate what is already a lack. But you can do good to those who harm you, that good may abound.
Hmmm, seems as though you merely paraphrased what I already said. ;)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
There we go. :)
Do you think evil exists as a cosmic force?
No, I do not. I believe that existence as we know it is the process of God evolving, and that the unpleasant experiences that we small theomorphic humans call "evil" are necessary goads to that evolution. Suffering exists that God may come to understand suffering, and this is good.

I think you've already said you don't believe in evil as a cosmic force in opposition to good. To say that evil has it's own power and is in opposition to good is strongly dualistic and suggests that there is an Anti-God (evil) in equal power to God (good), and that I also reject.
This I find fascinating. Can you briefly summarize your theodicy?

But what if evil is a corruption and twisting and misdirection of what should be good? Is that something you would fit into your cosmic view? :)
No, it isn't. If evil is corruption, what is the cause?

lunamoth

Will to love
There are ways to lessen evil in the world. However, our Western sense of what is "evil" will differ greatly from other universal definitions.
I'm not sure what you mean.

I agree. I think we can really only do this for ourselves though, as Francine says, by choosing good. But, can we really get rid of the evil that is even in our own heart, or is more a matter of mitigating it?