• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evil people sometimes just have dietary problems

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
Here are some possible cases:

Suppose you had celiac disease and could not properly absorb some nutrients. You might become disoriented and experience several mental health problems including schizophrenia. This could start you down a very strange path. Combine it with misdiagnoses and wrong treatment or with self treatment strategies such as colon cleanses. It could easily turn you into someone that you wouldn't recognize.

Suppose you have a food allergy which had a similar impact upon your psyche.

Suppose that every day you woke up confused and afraid, perhaps believing that you had been betrayed perhaps by the government or family or some other agency when all you really had was a problem with your food?

It happens. We often speak of evil people as having responsibility for their actions, which in a way has to be treated as true but often isn't in an ultimate sense.

Other things besides food can have a similar effect: stroke, heart failure, parasites.

Oh I agree. A lot of 'evil' behavior is simply biochemical imbalances having their way with the person's psyche. I don't mean that to be an excuse, just an explanation.

-

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Suppose you had celiac disease and could not properly absorb some nutrients. You might become disoriented and experience several mental health problems including schizophrenia. This could start you down a very strange path. Combine it with misdiagnoses and wrong treatment or with self treatment strategies such as colon cleanses. It could easily turn you into someone that you wouldn't recognize.

Suppose that every day you woke up confused and afraid, perhaps believing that you had been betrayed perhaps by the government or family or some other agency when all you really had was a problem with your food?

It happens. We often speak of evil people as having responsibility for their actions, which in a way has to be treated as true but often isn't in an ultimate sense.

Other things besides food can have a similar effect: stroke, heart failure, parasites.
Add biochemistry, genetics, hormones, and upbringing and suddenly things look quite different in regards to behaviors. Afterall, serial killers are basically genetically programmed and environmentally activated to be that way.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have a friend with celiacs, she is extremely careful about what she eats. Even the slightest amount of gluten her food causes her severe intestinal problems that make here very short tempered. If she were not so self controlled i guess it could lead to aggression

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

When I taught, my first question two questions of parents were often: "When was the last time _________ had his/her eyes checked?" and then, "When was the last time his/her ears were checked?"

Allergies were common. One poor kid had a smoke allergy, it was so obvious. Parents didn't care. Kid had a chronic cough, and was a mouth breather. Another guy had Tourette's, and had been accused of 'making funny faces; by his previous teachers.

Many situations have hidden reasons, and we should be willing to consider any of them. Asperger's is another one that is far more common than we think. The false conclusion is that the person is a jerk.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I knew a guy who was the nicest, most selfless, most caring man you could ever have the pleasure of knowing... He had a stroke, and it hit him hard. It changed the way his brain worked. From that moment, he couldn't speak, and he was prone to fits of rage and aggression. He changed completely, 180°. He became abusive and mean spirited. His wife stayed with him until he ended up dying later that same year.

Brain chemistry is an odd thing. All it takes is damaging one part of the brain, and someone can change completely and instantly.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Add to this "previous live" karmic residue, still working out in this life

IF we only knew the whole story THEN we could never blame others

Example: I met a boy in the Ashram I was, who was angry with everyone, all the time shouting at others. One day I asked security "other people get kicked out when they misbehave like this, why you let him get away with this?". The man replied "Sai Baba told me, that this boy was off limits, we are not allowed to do anything, Sai Baba told us He will take care of him".

1 year later, I spoke to the boy, and he told me his life story. Just born, his mother dumped him on the street. A man picked him up, and took him in. But this man was beating him daily. Sai Baba knew this, hence he had compassion.

Knowing the truth now, I never got upset again seeing him shout etc. Knowledge changed my view

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes to dietary problems and more.

I know someone who was very warm, friendly and huggy before she had major brain surgery. Since then she's been much more distant and prone to making statements such as the surgeon taking her brain out rather than removing the growth.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The false conclusion is that the person is a jerk.
Jerk, cold, uncaring, unconcerned, even psychotic when my external emotional displays and understandings have failed to meet expectations. And also accused of being intoxicated by police over the way Asperger's people often talk.

amorphous_constellation

My dad's personality has been a bit different since he got hit with diabetes a couple years ago.. I wonder if it's the medication.. He also had strokes and comas when he was coming to the end of his ability to drink alcohol.. Could be a lot of things

I think this kinda ties into a thread I made in the general religious debates section about the bible judging the individual and letting the collective go free.. 'Collective' is the term that describes all the factors you can't control... There is a lot we can't control

Cooky

Veteran Member
Jerk, cold, uncaring, unconcerned, even psychotic when my external emotional displays and understandings have failed to meet expectations. And also accused of being intoxicated by police over the way Asperger's people often talk.

How old were you when you found out?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Sometime around my late teens/early 20s.

One of my daughters shows those signs. She's 10. I encourage her and compliment her a lot, to try and get her to smile, but she doesn't have the desire much to open up. So I understand it's just the way she is.

...It could be she's just really stubborn, and hard-headed. IDK for sure. But I don't think so, because when she was a baby, she had the same serious look in her eyes. But she would laugh when I tossed her up and down. :)

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One of my daughters shows those signs. She's 10. I encourage her and compliment her a lot, to try and get her to smile, but she doesn't have the desire much to open up. So I understand it's just the way she is.

...It could be she's just really stubborn, and hard-headed. IDK for sure. But I don't think so, because when she was a baby, she had the same serious look in her eyes. But she would laugh when I tossed her up and down. :)
We tend to open up when we want to, amd show our affection in our own ways.
A lack of eye contact is one common trait looked for. We are know for being terrible at it. I was lucky though, and my mom extensively worked with me on that when I was a young child.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you maybe have Trump in mind?
I am more interested about where religion comes into it.
We often speak of evil people as having responsibility for their actions, which in a way has to be treated as true but often isn't in an ultimate sense.
We still have to take action and require responsibility, but the biology contradicts the assumption that people choose evil. This actually is in line with stoic thought, and I think a lot of ancient religious groups recognize it in spite of not having access to biology. Some do not.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
The Indian Sages had access to all the knowledge in Meditation (Akashic records), including biology.
If they had it they forgot it, so I won't credit them for the biological discoveries that we, today, enjoy. Our (yours and mine) civilization has had to slog through millennia of desperation, unnecessary disease and suffering. It behooves us to hold onto our knowledge.