• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evil and Good

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The man was Adam.
According to the Bible, God told the man he would die if he ate of the forbidden fruit.
that was a test

to see if the alterations performed in the garden....unto Adam
had taken hold

would Man be that creature curious?......even if death is the consequence

Adam and his wife.....passed the test

the garden had served it's purpose and was dismantled

Adam and Eve were then released into the environment

death was always a part of the plan

they knew that

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Where does the Bible say that humans are cursed?

It's what the whole "fall of man" thingy and original sin is all about.
It's all really just a reaction to one sin of one man.

The Bible teaches that humans die because they are sinful like Adam. It doesn't even matter whether they commit the same sin as Adam or even are under the laws of God. We die because we are like Adam. I never said anything different.

That's quite a different take on it that you have then most christian's I've spoken with.
or bible's I've read.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That doesn't work for me:

Hitler wasn't evil
Stalin wasn't evil
Skeptics who constantly fight with theists at RF aren't being evil

Correct, Hiller and Stalin were not nice people, they were the cause of much suffering and death. However as a religious person judging 2 religious despots you may consider them evil. I consider them just about as bad a a human being can be. Also remember that both had their good sides too.

As for your last sentence. Ever looked in a mirror?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This is precisely what i am talking about
Morality is a human trait, not a religious exclude everyone not in our club trait. Just about every person born knows the difference between right and wrong.

love is not just a human trait, nor is hatred. it can be conditioned in other animals

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Many animals dont need conditioning and can teach us humans a lot
everyone, thing, is conditioned to experience. its when that experience is superimposed over something that isn't necessarily like the other.

ChristineM

Premium Member
but the problem is that without love, the opposite is chaos. chaos doesn't evolve, it dissolves

No, without love (which is an emotion) is no love. Chaos is a whole different ball game of physical disorder.

ChristineM

Premium Member
everyone, thing, is conditioned to experience. its when that experience is superimposed over something that isn't necessarily like the other.

Everyone is born with s brain. Emotion is not a necessarily conditioned response in a brain although some emotion can be conditioned

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No, without love (which is an emotion) is no love. Chaos is a whole different ball game of physical disorder.

love is an action and an emotion. that is why altruism is considered a very healthy phenomena. as an emotion alone, it isn't of much value.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Everyone is born with s brain. Emotion is not a necessarily conditioned response in a brain although some emotion can be conditioned
you're exclusively speaking of humans. i'm speaking of humans and other animals to manipulate their environment for themselves and others. there is the reaction to an environment and then there is the ability to create vs react.

ChristineM

Premium Member
love is an action and an emotion. that is why altruism is considered a very healthy phenomena. as an emotion alone, it isn't of much value.

It is an action based on emotion, without the emotion there can be no love. So emotion is of much value

ChristineM

Premium Member
you're exclusively speaking of humans. i'm speaking of humans and other animals to manipulate their environment for themselves and others. there is the reaction to an environment and then there is the ability to create vs react.

See my previous post #30

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I see evil as a religious idea and has no meaning for those not in certain clubs.
When someone tells you it's evil to do something you know is harmless, then it does tell you they haven't a clue.

But, if one values enjoyment, good times, life, friends, then because of that valuing and because that human nature has some universal (to humans) constant qualities, it follows logically then there will be principles (merely because human nature is consistent).

See the post just above for the perfect forms of what is best in practical actual living -- the principles that cause the best outcomes. (the highest overall degree of enjoyment, peace, friends, thriving)

It's sort of like how plants need water, soil, sunlight. Give them what they need, and they will thrive.

Like that.