• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evil and Good

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
When someone tells you it's evil to do something you know is harmless, then it does tell you they haven't a clue.

But, if one values enjoyment, good times, life, friends, then because of that valuing and because that human nature has some universal (to humans) constant qualities, it follows logically then there will be principles (merely because human nature is consistent).

See the post just above for the perfect forms of what is best in practical actual living -- the principles that cause the best outcomes. (the highest overall degree of enjoyment, peace, friends, thriving)

It's sort of like how plants need water, soil, sunlight. Give them what they need, and they will thrive.

Like that.

Re Matthew 7:12, i modify that based on experience... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... Only do it first?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Re Matthew 7:12, i modify that based on experience... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... Only do it first?
In everyday terms, often it helps me to think of if I were in their situation, their shoes, then from that situation what would I want that others would do for me. Sometimes that requires some thought. Sometimes it's obvious. Sometimes it comes down to asking something like "Need a hand?" or such. This how-to guide is pretty useful.

But the even more key instruction is "love your neighbor as yourself", because that's where the real treasure is, the sweet stuff.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

You could say (once reading through) that much of what Christ taught is very specifically how to do "love your neighbor" in the many more complex and/or unclear situations. There can be quite a few, and so there is quite a few things He taught, and they work.

ChristineM

Premium Member
In everyday terms, often it helps me to think of if I were in their situation, their shoes, then from that situation what would I want that others would do for me. Sometimes that requires some thought. Sometimes it's obvious. Sometimes it comes down to asking something like "Need a hand?" or such. This how-to guide is pretty useful.

But the even more key instruction is "love your neighbor as yourself", because that's where the real treasure is, the sweet stuff.

Yes, a fine sentiment and one i live by most of the time until your neighbor tries to rape you.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It is an action based on emotion, without the emotion there can be no love. So emotion is of much value

so in reality the subjective can distort the environment from one state to another; so that it can be understood by another observer as objective.

form follows function.

this is why god, love is first a verb, an action and second a thing, form.

ChristineM

Premium Member
so in reality the subjective can distort the environment from one state to another; so that it can be understood by another observer as objective.

form follows function.

this is why god, love is first a verb, an action and second a thing, form.

Reality does not change, only people's perception of reality changes

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
some say evil is the lack of good.

but really? isn't it simply the lack of love for all as self?
Evil is simply Old English yfel, meaning 'bad'.

It's since been coopted into church use with the same denotation but a more pronounced connotation.

'Good' is a judgment we make, meaning 'advantageous or convenient to me (or to people or things or ideas I approve of)'.

'Bad' is the counterpart judgment of disadvantage.

So I agree that 'bad' is more than simply the absence of 'good' ─ there's a huge neutral ground between them.

However, I haven't succeeded in making 'bad / evil' mean 'the absence from a person or a state of affairs of the quality of caring about all other humans with the same care that one applies to oneself'. For instance, the admonition to Fido "Bad/evil dog!" would make no sense at all. And "Bad/evil luck!" even less.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Evil is simply Old English yfel, meaning 'bad'.

It's since been coopted into church use with the same denotation but a more pronounced connotation.

'Good' is a judgment we make, meaning 'advantageous or convenient to me (or to people or things or ideas I approve of)'.

'Bad' is the counterpart judgment of disadvantage.

So I agree that 'bad' is more than simply the absence of 'good' ─ there's a huge neutral ground between them.

However, I haven't succeeded in making 'bad / evil' mean 'the absence from a person or a state of affairs of the quality of caring about all other humans with the same care that one applies to oneself'. For instance, the admonition to Fido "Bad/evil dog!" would make no sense at all. And "Bad/evil luck!" even less.

maybe it could be understood as something healthy vs something unhealthy?

something wholesome vs something unwholesome?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
maybe it could be understood as something healthy vs something unhealthy?

something wholesome vs something unwholesome?
Advantageous, wholesome, positive, supportive, appealing, encouraging ─ all are personal judgments and so the examples will differ from viewpoint to viewpoint.

We've evolved to have particular likes and dislikes ─ lack of air, water, food, provoke strong reactions in us, so from our point of view air, water and food are good. So are nurture, society, a more advantageous place in society. So are our instinctive moral judgments ─ dislike of the one who harms, approval of fairness and reciprocity, respect for authority, loyalty to the group, a sense of self-worth through self-denial, and so on.

So are our acquired moral judgments ─ how to behave in society, what to wear where and when, how to excrete without offense, and so on.

But if you were an elephant or a dolphin, you'd judge a lot of things we think are good as bad.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Advantageous, wholesome, positive, supportive, appealing, encouraging ─ all are personal judgments and so the examples will differ from viewpoint to viewpoint.

We've evolved to have particular likes and dislikes ─ lack of air, water, food, provoke strong reactions in us, so from our point of view air, water and food are good. So are nurture, society, a more advantageous place in society. So are our instinctive moral judgments ─ dislike of the one who harms, approval of fairness and reciprocity, respect for authority, loyalty to the group, a sense of self-worth through self-denial, and so on.

So are our acquired moral judgments ─ how to behave in society, what to wear where and when, how to excrete without offense, and so on.

But if you were an elephant or a dolphin, you'd judge a lot of things we think are good as bad.
i'm thinking in terms of balance. even nature has a reaction to every action. not necessarily thinking in terms of polarity, or dualistic thinkin.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i'm thinking in terms of balance. even nature has a reaction to every action. not necessarily thinking in terms of polarity, or dualistic thinkin.
Aren't those reactions individual judgments, in the sense I've been using 'judgment'?