• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence of a cruel God?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Onchocerca volvulus is a nematode worm that spends most of its life in the tissues of a host organism. In humans this can lead to the condition onchocerciasis, which manifests itself as severe skin and eye itching and often leads to visual impairment or permanent blindeness. According to the wiki entry onchocerciasis is the second leading cause of blindness in the world. The first is trachoma, also caused by a parsitic organism - a bacterium in this case (the same little bugger that cause chlamydia).

If you take the existence of nebulae, rainforests, the seasons, in short the beauty and complexity of the natural order as evidence of a creative and intelligent God then what do you make of the existence of a little roundworm that lives in lesions in the eye and cause the blindness of millions of children every year?

If the green grass and the blue skies suggest that there is a God and that he is great and that he loves us doesn't onchocerca volvulus point to a cosmic sociopath?

Nightmare fuel: List of parasites of humans - Wikipedia

PureX

Veteran Member
All it suggests to me is that I am not able to judge God's nature because I don't know why existence functions as it does.

Audie

Veteran Member
All it suggests to me is that I am not able to judge God's nature because I don't know why existence functions as it does.

If one assumes it is all set up, micromanagrd by a '"god"?

If I were to believe in the Big Omni, then looking
about I'd figure it is a very hands off sort.

Set up the basics at BB, and let it run.
If said omni can't see the future, it would be
entertaining, I'd guess, to watch what happens.

Already knowing everything would be such a bore!

I'd say its not much of a god who can't figure a universe that will run itself sans constant meddling and micromanaging!

Parasitism is so widespread and diverse,
it seems an inevitable result of evolution.

Hard to "judge" Big O. for that.

PureX

Veteran Member
Even so, I still have no idea how it all works, and why it is the way it is. So how can I possibly judge?
Only if you expected God to be a very hands on sort. But why would we expect that? One would presume that God created it as God wished it to be, to begin with. So would have no need to meddle with it, afterward.
And we're generally fine with it when we're the parasites. So why accuse God letting it happen when we're the victims?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Onchocerca volvulus is a nematode worm that spends most of its life in the tissues of a host organism. In humans this can lead to the condition onchocerciasis, which manifests itself as severe skin and eye itching and often leads to visual impairment or permanent blindeness. According to the wiki entry onchocerciasis is the second leading cause of blindness in the world. The first is trachoma, also caused by a parsitic organism - a bacterium in this case (the same little bugger that cause chlamydia).

If you take the existence of nebulae, rainforests, the seasons, in short the beauty and complexity of the natural order as evidence of a creative and intelligent God then what do you make of the existence of a little roundworm that lives in lesions in the eye and cause the blindness of millions of children every year?

If the green grass and the blue skies suggest that there is a God and that he is great and that he loves us doesn't onchocerca volvulus point to a cosmic sociopath?

if you think He is difficult in this life......

wait til He enters your dreams

it is written.....fear not anyone who would harm your flesh
rather you should fear ....He ...who is able to rend the soul

Audie

Veteran Member
Even so, I still have no idea how it all works, and why it is the way it is. So how can I possibly judge?
Only if you expected God to be a very hands on sort. But why would we expect that? One would presume that God created it as God wished it to be, to begin with. So would have no need to meddle with it, afterward.
And we're generally fine with it when we're the parasites. So why accuse God letting it happen when we're the victims?

The most learned ecologist would probably express less certainty re how it works than
you or I!.

Many do see "god" (s) as intricately, intimately involved in everything, though to me that seems
most prevalent with primitive / rustic religious beliefs.

If I were a believer at all, it would be in
the hands off, indifferent to my concerns sort.
Still, doesn't hurt to say, " thanks, Boss",
as being alive is quite the privilege.

Its up to us to see that whatever is part of
it, that's the deal, one chance in eternity,
take it or leave it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
it may interest you to know.....

as you stand to the mirror ...what you see in return is not really .....you

most of your body is water
of the remainder.....most of THAT does not share your dna

you are actually the LESSER part of what you see in the mirror

you are a complex bus ride for microbes and germs and viruses
that out number the portion you think is ....you

and you think God......formed you......for YOUR sake?

PureX

Veteran Member
The most learned ecologist would probably express less certainty re how it works than
you or I!.
And rightly so. The more we know, the less we know.

Many do see "god" (s) as intricately, intimately involved in everything, though to me that seems
most prevalent with primitive / rustic religious beliefs.
Many theists see creation as an expression of the creator. They study the former to try and understand the latter. I am a Taoist, however, so I hold no illusions about ever understanding the latter.

If I were a believer at all, it would be in
the hands off, indifferent to my concerns sort.
Still, doesn't hurt to say, " thanks, Boss",
as being alive is quite the privilege.
I do that every morning, with profound sincerity, even though I have no idea to what I am expressing that gratitude. It doesn't matter. What matters is that I am grateful, and that I'm consciously aware of it.

Its up to us to see that whatever is part of
it, that's the deal, one chance in eternity,
take it or leave it.
I can't even say that with any certainty. Doesn't matter. Even if it's only once, I can trust that once is enough.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe there is no such evidence and the example given is not correct. Gods love is expressed in many ways and sometimes those ways are for discipline.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Set up the basics at BB, and let it run.
If said omni can't see the future, it would be
entertaining, I'd guess, to watch what happens.

Already knowing everything would be such a bore!

I'd say its not much of a god who can't figure a universe that will run itself sans constant meddling and micromanaging!

Hard to "judge" Big O. for that.

I do believe in God and His knowledge of all time. I agree He doesn't usually need to micromanage but He can if He wishes and does intervene when He wishes. As for boredom I have been know to appreciate the same view over and over and always enjoy it so why wouldn't God enjoy all His creation.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I believe there is no such evidence and the example given is not correct.

Not correct? You mean you don't believe that the parasites exist?

Gods love is expressed in many ways and sometimes those ways are for discipline.

Who exactly do you think is getting disciplined for what when innocent children suffer and die through horrible disease, parasites, or natural disasters?

Audie

Veteran Member
Not correct? You mean you don't believe that the parasites exist?

Who exactly do you think is getting disciplined for what when innocent children suffer and die through horrible disease, parasites, or natural disasters?

Or a lion eating a still- live antelope.

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe no-one can judge God because we are mere humans and He is God.

You do believe a lot of things.

God is a character in a book. Or, that is,
all of them are characters in stories.

As such, an atheist is going judge them
as we would other characters in novels.

You might think Huck Finn is a villain,
while I would present evidence that he isnt.

The game is spoilt by someone pretending that the characters are not only real, but he has like
special access to the Ttuth about things.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it problematic to excessively anthropomorphize the gods. Anthropomorphism is a great teaching device and a great way of telling the story - that's why it is widely used in the sacred stories of the world's traditions. But taking these literary licenses well... literally is just a poor idea in my experience.

I also find it problematic to project human value judgements onto the gods. Anthropocentrism is routine in the West in part because the dominant religious traditions here teach about humans being "special" or "apex" but this is not the case in all traditions and certainly not the narrative one learns by studying sciences.

It's some combination of anthropocentrism and anthropomorphism to suggest the gods care specifically about humans and that therefore their behaviors (or inactions) towards humans mean they are loving or cruel. I just don't look at the gods that way.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Not that I'm an advocate for God,

Assuming God, this life is temporary. Nothing that happens here is permanent. When paradise/the end game is revealed, nothing that happened prior will matter.
It's like having a painful blister. It sucks in the moment, but as soon as it is gone, it is part of a past that is soon forgotten and inconsequential.

You wake in paradise and this life will be like a bad dream. Maybe feel a little relief when you realize none of it was real and nothing that happened in the dream had any importance.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Checks and Balances IMO. Every good thing countered with it's opposite. Yin and Yang together as a functioning whole.

Treasure Hunter

The “narrow path” is to consciously hold both versions of God simultaneously.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

But is it really better to die of cancer or a tornado? Pneumonia? A car crash?

Why are we in mortal bodies? There's a good question, and it's got an answer actually. It has to do with God not being willing to wrestle and struggle with individual human souls forever, but that we should resolve this way or that, either to trust Him or be against Him or indifferent, within a finite time. So...mortality. It seems this is a place of choice, for those that aren't already resolved. Perhaps it just takes 60 or 80 years for some, while others might become clear much sooner.

For those that get past the age of innocence, there is a redeeming rescue available though! This is why the Christ came: to suffer our evils in such a way as to break the power of evil over us, and allow us to reconcile with God, and have real change in our hearts.

LightofTruth

I like to think that if we are not healed of all these things that come upon us (death especially) in this world, we are sure to be healed of them in the next.