• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

evidence christmas is not only christian

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
No. Again, Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus. The birth of Jesus does not have pagan roots.

I'm well aware of what Yule is. As a former Neo-Pagan, I have celebrated it. It's not a Christmas celebration.
Then why according to you is christmas called jul in norway, sweden and danmark?

Starlight

No. Again, Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus. The birth of Jesus does not have pagan roots.

I'm well aware of what Yule is. As a former Neo-Pagan, I have celebrated it. It's not a Christmas celebration.
I agree with @Twilight Hue Christmas was intentionally set up to coincide at the same time with the harvest festivals like Saturnalia.

Starlight

Yes. I said this in post #12.
You wrote: I will agree that celebration of the birth of Jesus was moved to the time of year that the solstice was celebrated by pagan religions in order to facilitate conversion to Christianity, but that's not the argument you presented here.

I agree with you. This was my point with pagan roots. That the birth of Jesus was moved to the time of year that solstice was celebrated by pagan religions

So we actually agree

Starlight

Just because Christmas has another name elsewhere doesn't mean it has pagan roots.

I will agree that celebration of the birth of Jesus was moved to the time of year that the solstice was celebrated by pagan religions in order to facilitate conversion to Christianity, but that's not the argument you presented here.
Yes christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus, so i agree christmas has christian roots BUT at the same time like you wrote: Jesus was moved to the time of year that the solstice was celebrated by pagan religions in order to facilitate conversion to Christianity

Heyo

Veteran Member
I am from Norway. In Norway christmas is called Jul

In sweden and Denmark christmas is also called Jul

This was the evidence I have
And it's called Noël in France, Navidad in Spain, Natale in Italy, Kerstfeest in the Netherlands and Weihnachten in Germany.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Most, if not all, "christian" festivities / holidays are a hodgepodge of non-christian traditions that were absorbed / merged / hi-jacked / whatever-you-wish-to-call-it
There are feasts that are genuine Christian and that are those which follow the lunar calendar, Easter, Ascension and Pentecost. They have direct biblical references and were celebrated by Christians who were still connected to the Jewish faith and calendar. All other "Christian" holidays were invented later, often to coincide with pagan feasts, including Christmas.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is just an example of people using local words for new holidays. For the same reason English speakers have 'Easter' instead of 'Pascha', and 'Hell' instead of 'Sheol/Hades'.

I've noticed that apparently everyone expects Christian words to be Greek or Latin or somehow they're Pagan. This isn't how it works. Germanic words are always sidelined as 'PAGAN!!'

tigger2

CHRISTMAS

"
DECEMBER 25 - Neither scripture nor secular history records the date of Jesus' birth; even the season of the year is not stipulated.[4] Some evidence points to spring, but it is not conclusive. The only thing reasonably certain about the coming of the Christ Child is that his birth did not take place in winter. .... In A. D. 350 Pope Julius I formally designated December 25 as Christmas. He chose that date because it coincided with important pagan festivals. These, in turn, were linked with the winter solstice [the shortest day of the year]." - How it Started, p. 54.

"
It was noted later that this date [Dec. 25] would fall within the rainy season in Palestine, so that the shepherds would hardly have been in the fields as they were when Jesus was born." - p. 1425, The World Book Encyclopedia, 1958.

Isaac Asimov in an article for Saturday Review tells us that the ancient pagan Romans celebrated "a week-long Saturnalia [honoring the Roman god Saturn] from Dec. 17 to 24. It was a time of unrelieved merriment and joy.... gifts were given all around." Asimov continues, "the worship of Mithra, a sun-god of Persia, was becoming popular, especially among the soldiers. The Mithraists celebrated the birth of Mithra at the winter solstice, a natural time, and fixed on the day December 25 so that the popular Roman Saturnalia could build up to the Mithraist `Day of the Sun' as a climax.

"
At that time, Christianity was locked in a great duel with the Mithraists for the hearts and minds of the people of the Roman Empire. .... Sometime after 300, Christianity managed the final coup of absorbing the Saturnalia, and with it scored its final victory over Mithraism. December 25 was established as the day of the birth of Jesus and the great festival was made Christian. There is absolutely no Biblical authority for Dec. 25 as having been the day of the Nativity." (Cf. "Sol Invictus", p. 725, An Encyclopedia of Religion, 1945 ed.)

"December 25 was already a major festival in the pagan Roman world, the Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, or `Birthday of the Unconquered Sun,' a feast honoring the renewal of the sun at the winter solstice. Pagan celebrations on December 25 had included feasting, dancing, lighting bonfires, decorating homes with greens, and giving gifts. So when this became a Christian [?] festival, the customs continued, but with a Christian [?] meaning imparted to them. Throughout the [Catholic] Middle Ages, Christmas was a richly varied religious holiday. However, during the Commonwealth, the English Puritans, repelled by both the pagan practices and the religious ceremonies, forbade any religious or secular celebration of Christmas. The English celebration returned with the return of the Stuarts ["near-Catholic" Church of England monarchs], but Christmas observances were still outlawed in Puritan New England for many years; and not until the 19th century did Christmas become a legal holiday in America." - p. 414, Vol. 4, Encyclopedia International, Grolier, Inc., 1966.

JESUS' BIRTHDAY

"
Early Christians [from time of Christ until the 4th century] frowned on [celebrating anyone's birthday], which was too closely linked with pagan customs to be given the approval of the church." - How It Started, p. 213.

The Christian Book of Why,
by Dr. John C. McCollister (Lutheran minister and university professor, graduate of Trinity Lutheran Seminary), Jonathan David Publishers, Inc., 1983, tells us on p. 205:
"Christians of the first century did not celebrate the festival honoring the birth of Jesus - for the same reason they honored no other birthday anniversary. It was the feeling at that time by ALL Christians that the celebration of all birthdays (even the Lord's) was a custom of the PAGANS. In an effort to divorce themselves from ALL pagan practices, the early Christians refused to set aside a date marking Jesus' birth. As a result, the first celebration of Christmas by Christians [?] did not take place until the fourth century."

Think about it for a moment. Exactly who were included in "ALL Christians of the first century" (1 A. D. - 100 A. D.)?

Yes, the Jews themselves never celebrated birthdays until long after the death of Jesus. They considered it a purely pagan custom and detestable to the God they worshiped. Jesus and his Apostles continued this belief and so did their followers for centuries!

"As late as 245 [A. D.] Origen (hom. viii. on Leviticus) repudiated the idea of keeping the birthday of Christ, `as if he were a king Pharaoh [Gen. 4:19-22].'" - Encyclopedia Britannica, 14th ed., p. 642, Vol. 5.

tigger2

"CHRISTMAS TREES - Many countries claim the distinction of having launched the custom of erecting Christmas trees, but it may have begun independently in several parts of Europe. Ceremonial worship of trees in ancient pagan rites almost certainly led to the decoration of trees at the time of the winter solstice. German emigrants [coming to the U.S.] brought with them the custom of setting up trees in their houses at Christmas." - How It Started, pp. 52, 53.

"It is believed that the custom is a survival of the tree worship of ancient German tribes." -- "Tree worship was common in Scandinavian countries.... When the pagans of Northern Europe became Christians [?], they made their sacred evergreen trees part of the Christian festival, and decorated the trees with gilded nuts, candles (a carry-over from sun worship), and apples to stand for the stars, moon, and sun. - pp. 1429, 1425, The World Book Encyclopedia, 1958 ed.

YULE -"In most of Europe [Christmas] is known as `Christ's Birthday.' Scandinavian countries still use the pagan name `Yule Day.' .... The Druids blessed [the Yule log] with great ceremony at the winter feast. (See Druid.)" - pp. 1425, 1426, The World Book Encyclopedia, 1958 ed.

"Yule (yool) n. Christmas. ¦< OE geol, originally a twelve-day heathen feast" - The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 1973, Dell.

"The burning of a huge log in the fireplace on Christmas day is a tradition followed by many European Christians that was borrowed from the Norsemen who burned a huge oak log called the Juul (pronounced `Yool' or `Yule') in honor of Thor, the God of thunder. After Christianity became the accepted faith of many Norsemen, they retained this custom as a part of their Christmas celebration. Later, the Scandinavians adopted the practice and even referred to the season as the `Yule season' or `Yuletide'." England and other European countries later adopted the tradition. - The Christian Book of Why, Dr. John C. McCollister (pastor and university professor, graduate of Trinity Lutheran Seminary), p. 215, Jonathan David Publishers, Inc., 1983.

"What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? .... `Therefore come out from them and be separate,' says the Lord. `Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you ...' says the Lord Almighty." - 2 Cor. 6:16, 17, NIVSB. [NIVSB f.n.: "agreement...between the temple of God and idols. There can be no reversion to or compromise with the idolatry they have forsaken for the gospel (cf. 1 Th. 1:9)."]

Last edited:
My point with the tread is that since Norway, sweden and danmark call christmas jul, it is proof that christmas has pagan roots

Christmas was dated to 25 December before there were any Christians in Norway, Sweden or Denmark.

Early Christianity has practically nothing to do with Northern Europeans, and nothing whatsoever to do with Northerner European pagans.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Gosh! I wonder where they got their Christmas trees from?
Mediaeval mystery plays. It's the Tree of Life or the Tree of Knowledge.

They also weren't common in houses until the 19th c.

I will agree that celebration of the birth of Jesus was moved to the time of year that the solstice was celebrated by pagan religions in order to facilitate conversion to Christianity, but that's not the argument you presented here.

The dating of Christmas to 25Dec likely predates any celebration of Christmas on the 25th though.

It seems to be a product of people making calendars of key events, and only became a celebration much later.

It also doesn’t seem to have replaced any pagan festival (the Romans weren’t even particularly into the solstice).

It may have become a popular celebration over time due to its dating, but there is very little evidence this date was chosen as a marketing ploy by some unknown person who managed to make everyone accept such commercial cynicism without dissent.

Audie

Veteran Member
I agree with @Twilight Hue Christmas was intentionally set up to coincide at the same time with the harvest festivals like Saturnalia.
The idea that Christmas " celebrates the birth of
Jesus" would never have occurred to me as a child.

We make a big deal about Christmas in HK.

It's fun and a big money machine.

There's really no religion in it.

So I'd say no, people can make what they want of it
but it's not inherently anything religious.
Historically some people somewhere were
religious about it i guess.

There's mythic origins to dragon boat races too.

But that's not what they are about.