• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone's faith is determined by the faith of their parents.

Everyone's faith is determined by the faith of their parents. If you are born in a muslim country you will probably be muslim, if you are born in a christian country you will probably be christian and so on. It always depends on what your parents believe. They will start make you practice their religion from when you are born. You will have no choice but to believe in it without knowing that it was forced on you. You may start to make your first question when you are a teenager, but 99% of the time it will not matter, as you are 100% convinced that your religion is true already and will give any other faith no chance out of the 10000s of religions that there are.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I got to disagree with that view particularly in the modern world. It seems almost no one I know follows the religion of the old time religion. Most everyone thinks for themselves nowadays. Traditional religions are having the bottom fall out from under them.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Everyone's faith is determined by the faith of their parents. If you are born in a muslim country you will probably be muslim, if you are born in a christian country you will probably be christian and so on. It always depends on what your parents believe. They will start make you practice their religion from when you are born. You will have no choice but to believe in it without knowing that it was forced on you. You may start to make your first question when you are a teenager, but 99% of the time it will not matter, as you are 100% convinced that your religion is true already and will give any other faith no chance out of the 10000s of religions that there are.

Born Catholic, went atheist for a long period of time, became a theistic Satanist much later. I guess you're wrong, but I doubt I am the only one with similar experiences.

Though, I would rather say that people aren't forced into their religion from birth if they stay with it -- they just don't give it much consideration and go with that flow.

Born Catholic, went atheist for a long period of time, became a theistic Satanist much later. I guess you're wrong, but I doubt I am the only one with similar experiences.

Though, I would rather say that people aren't forced into their religion from birth if they stay with it -- they just don't give it much consideration and go with that flow.
Its good that you did what you wanted and so did I. But at the end you must agree that many people born in a certain country have a high possibility of following the same religion that everyone in the country does.

If they didnt give it much consideration does not mean that they would still believe in the same religion if they are believing now of they were born to parents of different faith does it?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
That is perhaps the single greatest reason as to why organized religion still exists as a thing.

If the truth of it isn't very important you have no reason to shop. It doesn't make that religion anymore valid. A lot of these people are just X in name only and probably don't even attend the church. The other thing is atheism is boring and unfulfilling, so even your faith is something of a question you rather have the community of the church than be dog paddling in a sea of confusion. I reckon a majority of the lay people associated with a religion are more of this type -- they're simply not very involved. When confronted, they're just going with that flow and not giving it anymore thought. They may be whatever online, but when it comes down to the reality there are just a lot of fakes and 'seems good enough' type people.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Its good that you did what you wanted and so did I. But at the end you must agree that many people born in a certain country have a high possibility of following the same religion that everyone in the country does.

Depends, I'd say if you're born in a Muslim majority country you are coerced rather than have much of a choice. :D Generally, in those countries the only exception is in regard to people whom have been ethnically something else.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I was raised in as a 3rd generation atheist, had many profound inner experiences in my early adulthood that led me to Tibetan Buddhism and eventually to Vaishnavism (Vaishnava dharma). Then I had the grand-daddy of all my experiences, which took many years to unravel but eventually led me to become a "strong" atheist. You have to understand, I don't doubt the experience, it is how I have chosen to translate the experience in a way I never imagined shortly after it occurred that is important. That realization has virtually no bearing on my upbringing.

Flame

Beware
I was born to a Sun Dance/Animist father and a Roman Catholic mother. :D I'm far from what they expected.

siti

My Dad was anti-religious but believed there must have been a creator - I suppose (although to my knowledge he never labelled himself as such) that he was a kind of deist. My Mum was Anglican and I went to a Methodist Sunday School and the Anglican Church later in my childhood - from about the age of about 9 I started to attend Church regularly by myself - my parents were rare churchgoers - Dad almost never. I later moved around different Christian denominations, had about a decade as a JW and then went through a more deistic and anti-religious phase before finally deciding that nobody has a clue whether or not there really is a God and that if there is it is probably (more or less) equivalent to "nature" (whatever that means) and that the best thing for us to celebrate and honor (if there is anything worthy of that at all) is our humanity and the best way to decide what is morally acceptable among humans is to ask humans...and if I don't end this sentence soon I will have changed my "religion" again before I get to the end...

...hmmm! I guess I am again disagreeing with the OP!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A lot of these people are just X in name only and probably don't even attend the church.
I can understand why many Christians wouldn't want to associate themselves with any church, and for a number of reasons. I would even wager the number of non-church going Christians who do it out of reluctance to associate with what they perceive to be a perversion of Christ's teachings outweighs those who fail to attend who are "go with the flow" Christians. But there are plenty who know little of the Bible, nothing beyond what their priest/pastor tells them, and some even still have not made any effort to pick up and read the Bible. Culturally, it may be a phenomena related to the "Sunday Christians," those ******** who get all saved and Churched up on Sunday for an hour, and metaphorically their condemnations to the world are an oversized sign they are swinging around and hitting people with, and boldly proclaiming all those assaulted just can't handle the "truth of the word." Those sorts of things generally aren't actually taught, but in the end the dominate cultural group is going to overlap into and include a good chunk of human refuse, and whether they or a Christian or really just a **** applying the word, for many it's just so normalized that any alternatives may remain invisible for the duration of their life.

Ellen Brown

If you came here to interact with others to hone your beliefs, welcome. If you came to straighten us all out, good luck.

allfoak

Alchemist
If this were true I would not be the person I am today.
I went the opposite direction of my parents.