• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever Fiddle Around With a Violin?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Test your knowledge.

What is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

I already know the answer, but since @Lyndon makes violins, I'll defer to his expertise.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
there's no difference although country fiddles are sometimes set up slightly different from classical with flatter bridge for playing chords etc. Generally cheaper violins are more likely to be called fiddles but even million dollar Stradivaris are sometimes called fiddles

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
there's no difference although country fiddles are sometimes set up slightly different from classical with flatter bridge for playing chords etc. Generally cheaper violins are more likely to be called fiddles but even million dollar Stradivaris are sometimes called fiddles

Yes. Same instrument. The difference is in how they are set up or tuned and how they are played.

Lindsey Stirling is a classically trained violinist, but always wanted to do a western fiddle video. Below is the result.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
ps I don't make violins I buy and restore antiques and sell them
If you restore them, you must have a pretty clear understanding of the build and the materials used. Have you ever considered making one (or several)?

Lyndon

Premium Member
My making was concentrated on clavichords, making violins is bit complex for me, and I'm getting on in years, never learned how to hair bows either, but violin repairs I'm pretty good at that.

The Clavichord

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
[
My making was concentrated on clavichords, making violins is bit complex for me, and I'm getting on in years, never learned how to hair bows either, but violin repairs I'm pretty good at that.

As am I. Might be a good idea to share this knowledge with the next generations so the knowledge isn't lost, eh?

I don't know a whole lot of clavichord makers. ;)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If'n yer mama and yer papa shared a last name prior to gettin' hitched, then yer playing a fiddle.

Unless you're part of a royal family, in which case it's a violin, despite the close familial relationships. Ahem.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on who's playing it, and how.

This here's a fiddle:

This here is also a fiddle:

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you're playing country music, it's a fiddle. If you're playing classical, it's a violin.
If you're wearing overalls, you're playing a fiddle. If you're in evening wear, you're playing a violin.

If you're playing Paganini in overalls, you're probably schizophrenic...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If you're playing country music, it's a fiddle. If you're playing classical, it's a violin.
If you're wearing overalls, you're playing a fiddle. If you're in evening wear, you're playing a violin.

If you're playing Paganini in overalls, you're probably schizophrenic...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If'n yer mama and yer papa shared a last name prior to gettin' hitched, then yer playing a fiddle.

Unless you're part of a royal family, in which case it's a violin, despite the close familial relationships. Ahem.
Maybe a violin requires an orchestra.

A fiddle requires a jug and banjo.

Lyndon

Premium Member
classical violins are still called fiddles sometimes and country fiddles are still called violins, so there's no hard and fast rule