• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eve and her husband.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
And your opinion is?
My opinion is that the OP is simply wrong. The poster needs to re-read the accounts.

My opinion of your statement here:
dam and Eve had lots of children--Cain and Abel, and Seth the only males listed--of course they married their sisters---there wasn't anyone they could mate with.
is that it is wrong. There is nothing to indicate that Cain married his sister. Since the stories of Cain and Abel and Cain's descendants are two different stories, unrelated to each other, there is no reason to assume that there were not other people in other places. Your opinion does not properly exegete the text. The rest of your post simply continues further down the slippery slope you began with a poor assumption.

If going by the Bible, God created Adam and Eve--there is nothing said about Him creating anyone else, that would be an assumption not supported by the Bible.Gen 3:20, "she was the mother of all living." And what do you mean that the stories of Cain and Able and Cain's descendants are two different stories? It's the same Cain. It is very rare for females to be named in the Bbile. Some wives and concubines some of Jesus followers, Deborah the Judge and so forth. But rarely when doing the begats. Is it your assumption that God created other couples?? That is indeed a very poor assumption. The males were the important ones to be named--they were the head of each family unit. Again--God gave the restriction of close relatives marrying when He gave the Law of Moses, different from the 10 commandments, those God wrote--the law of Moses was spoken. Why is it hard to understand that they married their sisters? It was not taboo yet, there were no genetic flaws to pass down yet. And they did it again right after the flood. And down to the time of Abraham as he was married to his half sister. And it was through her that the promise of their descendants being as numerous as the sands was given. God was fully aware of the fact she was his half sister and blessed her with Isaak who went on to marry his cousin, Rebekah--chosen by God. That was prohibited after the 10 commandments and the law of Moses were given.

sojourner

If going by the Bible,
You can't just read the Bible, you have to exegete the Bible. That's why your explanation is abysmal -- you're not bothering to discover what the texts are actually saying.
God created Adam and Eve--there is nothing said about Him creating anyone else, that would be an assumption not supported by the Bible.Gen 3:20, "she was the mother of all living."
So I guess all the other people in the Bible are non-existent? Just because the story doesn't mention them doesn't mean they aren't implied. Obviously they are, or Cain would never have run into them in his travels. When you come to understand that Adam and Eve are not actual people but avatars for humanity, it'll make more sense.
And what do you mean that the stories of Cain and Able and Cain's descendants are two different stories? It's the same Cain.
But the stories are different. Just as Star Trek episodes are different stories with the same characters.
It is very rare for females to be named in the Bbile. Some wives and concubines some of Jesus followers, Deborah the Judge and so forth. But rarely when doing the begats. Is it your assumption that God created other couples?? That is indeed a very poor assumption. The males were the important ones to be named--they were the head of each family unit. Again--God gave the restriction of close relatives marrying when He gave the Law of Moses, different from the 10 commandments, those God wrote--the law of Moses was spoken. Why is it hard to understand that they married their sisters? It was not taboo yet, there were no genetic flaws to pass down yet. And they did it again right after the flood. And down to the time of Abraham as he was married to his half sister. And it was through her that the promise of their descendants being as numerous as the sands was given. God was fully aware of the fact she was his half sister and blessed her with Isaak who went on to marry his cousin, Rebekah--chosen by God. That was prohibited after the 10 commandments and the law of Moses were given.
Hopeless. Utterly hopeless. You're making gross assumptions and then making secondary assumptions based on those assumptions.

not actual people but avatars??---Talk about assumptions---It is useless to discuss things that you have no idea about and refuse to see as real. We have no common ground. I do believe in the Bible, I believe what it says is true, I believe in God, Jesus Christ, the flood and everything else that you think are myths-avatars--wierd little stories---You are what you are, we all have the right to our opinions. Your reality and mine are worlds apart. This is, quite simply, a waste of my time. Good-bye!

sojourner

not actual people but avatars??---Talk about assumptions---It is useless to discuss things that you have no idea about and refuse to see as real. We have no common ground. I do believe in the Bible, I believe what it says is true, I believe in God, Jesus Christ, the flood and everything else that you think are myths-avatars--wierd little stories---You are what you are, we all have the right to our opinions. Your reality and mine are worlds apart. This is, quite simply, a waste of my time. Good-bye!
Buh-bye, now! Enjoy being alone in your principles.

Enjoy being lone in your principles?!!!---How old are you -13? Last parting words--In my church I am friends with many former atheists, several highly educated former evolutionist, former drug addicts, we have many "formers". Being in somewhat bad health, we now communicate mainly by e-mails and phone calls, or they come to see me. Being on disability I've lost the daily friends at work but they come to see me. Now Many of my coworkers are athiests, but we still talk about that. I have 2 older brothers (had 3, one died)and their wives--I've got cousins, nieces and nephews and a few great nephews and nieces. And a very loving husband whom, over the last 20 years has slowly come to believe as he has seen God's many miracles in my life-- If there is one thing I am not, it's "alone in my principles." It's those principles that have garnered my many friendships---however, even if not one of them ever spoke to me again, I still would not be alone. My best friend is still Christ and always will be. You remind me of 2 Peter 3:16--".As also in his epistles, speaking in them of these things: in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures,unto their own destruction."---I am leaving this site, I belong to other forums and I can't sit at the computer that long anymore. I will pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you into a saving relationship with Christ the Son and God the Father. I will not return to read your response.

sojourner

Enjoy being lone in your principles?!!!---How old are you -13? Last parting words--In my church I am friends with many former atheists, several highly educated former evolutionist, former drug addicts, we have many "formers". Being in somewhat bad health, we now communicate mainly by e-mails and phone calls, or they come to see me. Being on disability I've lost the daily friends at work but they come to see me. Now Many of my coworkers are athiests, but we still talk about that. I have 2 older brothers (had 3, one died)and their wives--I've got cousins, nieces and nephews and a few great nephews and nieces. And a very loving husband whom, over the last 20 years has slowly come to believe as he has seen God's many miracles in my life-- If there is one thing I am not, it's "alone in my principles." It's those principles that have garnered my many friendships---however, even if not one of them ever spoke to me again, I still would not be alone. My best friend is still Christ and always will be. You remind me of 2 Peter 3:16--".As also in his epistles, speaking in them of these things: in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures,unto their own destruction."---I am leaving this site, I belong to other forums and I can't sit at the computer that long anymore. I will pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you into a saving relationship with Christ the Son and God the Father. I will not return to read your response.
...I thought you were leaving? Or was that a lie? You know what happens to liars...