• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical to breed animals for its only purpose to be eaten?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
Anyone see Modest Mouse's music video for float on? it made me realize how barbaric it was. im gradually getting off eating meat. I find it hypocritical that we love animals and all, yet we eat them.

is it right? I would appriciate your thoughts!

Saw11_2000

I have seen the video.

I think it is right to eat me. We are omnivores. We have canine teeth for just that specific purpose, ripping apart flesh. Might not sound right, but it's what we are "supposed" to do by the mysterious ways of evolution.

No*s

Captain Obvious
It doesn't bother me. I grew up on a farm, so many times I would raise an animal, and I'd become attatched to it, and then I'd have to participate in killing it to eat it. It's just part of how things work. In fact, it makes me care for them more, becaues I don't just go to the store and buy a steak, nor did I simply keep them as pets. I raised them, cared for them, then killed them.

It changes your perspective a little.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think the way we treat animals today is abhorrent. However I don't believe eating meat is in itself wrong. But I think if someone truly cares about animals, the environment and their own health, they will abstain from factory farm meat, and either not consume meat or will find other sources that are more humane and healthy.

Saw11_2000

Like KFC, right? Even though the chicken is so good, I feel a little bad when I eat it cuz I've seen the videos of what they've done.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
While I think it isn't ethical, I don't feel it's my right to try to impose my belief on another. All I can do is avoid those mass-producing places myself, and pretty much anywhere that treats other creatures with cruelty. However, being in the income bracket I'm in, that's not always practical. :( Ah, well, so many facets of life...

Master Vigil

I came to the realization that there is a difference between killing for necessity and killing for pleasure. And I definitely disagree with the way our meat is raised and killed. However, with myself being a wolf. I loooove meat. I just rarely eat it thats all.

Quincy Wisdom

I used to love meat...but I find myself feeling ill after eating it recently. So, I'm considering halting my consumption of meat. However, to the topic at hand.

To me, it is right to kill an animal if it is genuinly needed. Sometimes I wonder how many people would continue to eat meat if they were forced to raise the stock themselves, kill it, prepare it, and eat it. I think as a people, we tend to loose respect for the fact that we are eating the flesh of another being, and if we raised it ourselves, we would have a better understanding for the sacrifice it makes.

I do have a problem with these mass death camps animals go through...but, I'm not going to make a fuss about it until we solve the problems facing humans first.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I used to live on a farm as a child, and then I worked in the meat industry for a few years. We don't have this huge factory farming industry thing going that you guys do...the closest we come is feedlots for the cattle destined to be exported, where they actually get a pretty good diet of grain for a few weeks before slaughter. Here generally it's paddock with a few trees, to market, to slaughter.
I eat meat of all descriptions, but I have to say that the beef from the cows that come from my mums farm - which we butcher ourselves (bullet in the head, quick humane death) is the best beef I've ever had.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
wow. those were fast replies!

hm... i dunno. i mean, one person said that humans are superior in thinking and all. and if we are, wouldnt we realize that we dont have to eat animals to survive? i mean, protien is abundant in beans and lentils. the only meat i think is worth eating is fish. I LOVE FISH. but it has the highest amount of protein. and the omega fat is good for the body. beef on the other hand has the lowest amount of protien and bad fat...

stuff to consider

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Gerani1248 said:
wow. those were fast replies!

hm... i dunno. i mean, one person said that humans are superior in thinking and all. and if we are, wouldnt we realize that we dont have to eat animals to survive? i mean, protien is abundant in beans and lentils. the only meat i think is worth eating is fish. I LOVE FISH. but it has the highest amount of protein. and the omega fat is good for the body. beef on the other hand has the lowest amount of protien and bad fat...

stuff to consider
Yeah, but consider the heavy metal content of most fish we eat(don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of fish) and it's not exactly crash hot either in the good for you stakes.
As for being superior in thinking, I agree with you to a point, but if we were bright enough to figure out we didn't have to eat something, we'd be bright enough to say,'I don't want those 20 Big Macs, thanks all the same', instead of sueing McDonalds for making us obese. For all our supposed intellectual superiority, human beings are pretty dumb when taken as a group.

john313

warrior-poet
It is very hypocritical to love animals and eat them. There is no reason to eat animals. Eating animal flesh is no different than eating human flesh, we do not need it. you get omegas from fish, or you can simply get them from flax seed oil. Eating meat is bad for your body, just like consuming dairy products. factory farms and meat consumption are bad for the environment as well. The argument that we have k-9 teeth is ridiculous. i look at mine in the mirror and wonder if i can chase down an animal, kill it with my teeth or claws and tear through its skin to eat its flesh with my claws and teeth. of course not. our k-9s are not developed for that and we lack strong claws. We can get plenty of protein from vegetables, nuts, rice, and beans and most towns/cities, in amerikkka anyway, have grocery stores all over. I understand killing and eating flesh out of necessity for survival, but in today's society it is rarely if ever necessary. Many of the prophets were vegetarians as well, some lived in a desert climate and it was difficult to survive without meat so they had to eat flesh. Jesus was a vegetarian, Adam and Eve were vegetarians, as it was in the beginning, so it shall be in the end. For those who live in the "land of freedom"....
Go vegan if you really pledge allegiance, because if this is the land of freedom, then your kitchen is treason--Foek
There is no reason to slaughter animals, keeping them as slaves.

john313

warrior-poet
This is from another thread, but it applies to the moral issues of destroying the planet just so we can eat flesh:

Environmental Statistics

 Estimated rate of worldwide tropical deforestation per minute: 150 acres. Per day: 216,000 acres (roughly the size of the Rocky Mountain National Park)
 Percentage of tropical rainforest deforestation directly link with livestock raising: more than 50%.
 Amount of forest lost every hamburger produced from livestock raised on what was Central American Forest: 55 sq feet (size of a small kitchen)
 Estimated weight of trees, saplings, seedlings, insects, birds, reptiles, mammals, fungi and microorganisms killed or displaced for every hamburger produced from Central American forest: 1/2 ton.

 Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests and related habitats: 1,000 per year.
 Estimated number of species that will become extinct in Central and South America by the year 2000 if present rate of deforestation continues: 150,000 to 500,000.
 Year in which Central and South America will be stripped of tropical rainforests if present rate of deforestation continues: 2010.
 How often an acre of U.S. trees disappears: every 8 seconds.
 Number of U.S. forest converted into land for grazing livestock and/or growing livestock feed for every acre cleared for urban development: 7 acres.
 Amount of trees spared per day by each individual who switches to a vegan diet: 1 acre.
 Percentage of U.S. water used for some phase of livestock production: more than 50%.
 Water needed to produce 1 pound of wheat: 25 gallons. Water needed to produce 1 pound of meat: 2,500 gallons.
 Main source of water for High Plains region of the United States: Ogallala Aquifer. Percentage of water drawn from Ogallala that is used to produce beef: 75%.
 Estimated cost of subsidizing the meat industry in California with water per year: $24 billion. 1991 budget for the child welfare services in California: $425 million.
 Average amount of water required daily to feed a person following the standard U.S. meat-based diet: 4,200 gallons.
 Average amount of water required daily to feed a person following an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet: 1,200 gallons.
 Average amount of water required daily to feed a person following a vegan diet: 300 gallons.
 Amount of water a person would conserve per year by switching from a meat based diet to an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet: 1,095,000 gallons.
 Amount conserved by switching to a vegan diet: 1,423,500 gallons.
 Amount of U.S. topsoil lost to date: about 2/3.
 Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly associated with livestock raising: at least 85%.
 Percentage of total U.S. land area used for any type of agriculture: 52%.
 Percentage of U.S. land used for livestock production (including pasture, rangeland and cropland): 87%.
 Percentage of U.S. land used for livestock: 45%.
 Amount of irrigated land used in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon and Idaho) to grow feed and fodder for livestock: 4.6 million acres.
 Amount of land used to supply America with Idaho potatoes, Washington apples and Oregon pears: 0.8 million acres.
 Average amount of meat eaten by each American annually: 190 pounds.
 Number of people who could be adequately fed by the grain saved if Americans quit eating meat: 600 million people.
 Amount of waste produced every second by animals raised for human consumption: 125 tons (the weight of 15 African elephants).
 Percentage of water pollution that can be linked to wastes from the livestock industry: more than 50%.
 Percentage of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by the United States that are devoted to the production of livestock: 33%.
 Calories of fossil fuels expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78 calories. From milk: 36 calories. From chickens: 22 calories. From soybeans: 2 calories.
 Percentage our imported oil requirements would be cut if the United States switched to a vegan diet: 60%.
 Energy equivalent that a family of four would conserve in one year by cutting back meat consumption by 2 pounds each week: 104 gallons of gasoline.
 Percentage of Americans who call themselves environmentalists: 76%.
 Percentage of Americans who are vegetarian: 2.8%.

Saw11_2000

Our ancestors, like monkeys, were omnivores as well. Our K-9 teeth (doctors call them I teeth, I think) are supposed to be used to rip apart meat. Humans were not meant to be herbivores.

Natural Submission

Saw11_2000 said:
Our ancestors, like monkeys, were omnivores as well. Our K-9 teeth (doctors call them I teeth, I think) are supposed to be used to rip apart meat. Humans were not meant to be herbivores.

Is that a fact? Bring evidence if you are truthful.

Saw11_2000

Dogs are usually carniverous, although some are omniverous. Either way, our K-9 teeth are closely related to theirs, and they eat meat, so from the fact that the teeth we have is found in a carniverous animal, and we evolved from an omniverous animal, I have come to the conclusion that we should indeed eat meat.