• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical to breed animals for its only purpose to be eaten?

Underhill

namaskaram

well I am glad that you feel this way , so why not give up eating meat now ?

Oh agreed there , ....please start to list them , ...then considder whether we should also be giving up these things too .

Dick who ?

Dick Cheney. While I am not a fan of the guy, he was being eminently reasonable at the time.

yes true ''we live in the world we have '' , ....but we can live according to our concience this will bring about changes in the direction of a more perfferable and fair world .

I do live according to my conscience. But the well being of animals is low on my priority list. And before you get all judgmental, remember something important. We all prioritize morality. Otherwise we would all be living in modest homes and spending every spare penny on helping the poor.

that dosent stop you from giving up !

unless you are saying that you ''love a good steak'' with more attatchment to the steak and your personal enjoyment , than to the wellbeing of the remainder of life on this planet , .... in which case that is just pure obtanacy and selfishness ?

It's actually a bit more than that. Our society is one that eats meat. And we do that because we can and because we like it.

I believe at some point most people will no longer be able to eat meat. It is inefficient and expensive. When this happens we will see a shift in what is normal. As this happens I bet the moral lines will be redrawn from where they are today to these new norms. Normalcy often determines morality.

As for the animals, I have chickens. I hate them. Dumbest animals on the planet. I have no problem eating them.

Kirran

Premium Member
thats nice , actualy I think that there are some animals who put us to shame , and that many so called human beings are more animalistic than some animals , .....

Our roosters are both pretty animalistic. Food, sex, fighting over sex. That is all.

when I am talking about things lost , it could be disease resistance , imunity , , biodiversity of any species be it crop or animal is very important , ....if a disease comes along some will fall prey to it and others not , ...this is the natural order , a natural method insuring the preservation of life , ....

personaly I have nothing against a little cross breading of sheep , it is only when it is taken to unnatural extreemes Merinos are a prime example of our greed overweighing our consideration for that natural order , ....

Yes, fair enough. One needs to exercise some degree of caution in everything, basically. Including genetic modification, etc. Not undue caution though, because then you get into paranoia, which isn't healthy. A fine line, maybe.

ballance is everything , ....I hate to say it but if we dont do it , nature will ballance the birth rate , every so often she will cause a disaster or disease it has to happen it is all a part of the eternal cycle , .....this is cause and effect , ....

True. But birth rates are coming down, settling. 2.1 children per woman is the replacement rate, global average is now 2.5.

but promoting health and well being must come first , ....health and wellbeing comes from practicing Contentment and simplicity , Buddhas ''fewness of wishes'' , ....the Niyamas 'Santosha' ......then and only as a last resort medicine , ...

mind you the measured (non indulgent )diet and the purity of the Yamas is important too .

No argument. But cures still need to be had for when needed. And some things can't be prevented. Many cancers, for example, just happen.

I think we need to translate such concepts of health and purity into words which are more palatable to people regardless of religion or lack thereof.

some things one just has to accept , .....Itend to feel that there is reason behind all things , we cant know it , ...not even sure if it would change much if we did exept it might help some to accept that there are things which are and allways will be beyond our control , ....

Reason behind something is the events that happened before it. All things are just determined, God's Will, if you like.

what you mean let us loose on another planet so we can trash that too , .....:(

Just rock. Yes, let's colonise away. The asteroids are the future, I think. I really support moving out into space.

petitions rely on someone on the otherside having some inteligence and integrity , ...we are bussy protesting here about the encroachment of vile chicken farms , they have filled herefordshire , ..now they are trying to get in to wales , and they are suceeding because in places there are very few people to object , ...and they cheat the planing system because they are all a bit simple here , ...and straped for cash so dont want to get into lengthly planning disputes , ....

actualy this is realy depressing me a little at present , ....they are going to polute and destroy the place I realy cant beleive how stupid people realy are , ....well stupid and selfish !!!

I wish you all the best in your efforts.

Sorry to depress you :(

I wouldnt call it interact , ...well not for the most of the time , ....I find it very hard to find many people that it is A, ..possible to interact with and B, ...that I would want to interact with , ....Oh dear I am in bit if a cynical mood at the moment , ...I just dont think the vast majority want to listen to any one elses thoughts they just want to carry on enjoying , indulging and turning a blind eye !!!

Where are you again, ratikala?

What is it about people that makes them so hard to interact with?

Santosha :)

there now you've cheared me up , ....you are my favorite lamb loving Yogi , ...you are just western by birth , ..

Yes! A cheerful ratikala again.

Do you know many yogis who have much to do with lambs?

I am back in Wales for a few days, so I saw her again today. She's not really tame anymore. But she's very big.

Hee Hee , ...I am sent to test you , ....but no , ...its a good conversation , ...so glad you have the courage and energy , ..
To test me? Did I pass? ;)

Likewise. A good conversation. We're both too easy-going for it to become an argument.

yes it is this subjective and relitive that we need to think through very carefully , I think the Yoga principles should realy help you to find the right ballance .

Yeah, they can be a really useful framework. But one needs to make sure one agrees with what on'es following, rather than just following it.

Im still very scared of this Genetic modification because I am sure that in the right hands it could be used well if used judiciously , but if used zealously by the wrong hands , ....I will deffinatly be praying to leave for another planet A.S.A.P. ....

True with anything, no?

I will try to look up some of the cases , ....

OK :)

yes I am very depressed by all this , ....and I am also depressed by vegans who think that all animal products are bad and that we shouldnt keep sheep for wool even if we keep them naturaly and appreciatively , so according to them we should all wear petro chemical by products and glow in the dark , ....no matter what those petrochemical plants are doing to the enviroment , ...dont think that they have thought that out very carefully yet !!!

yes this Kali yuga is depressing !!!

Holistic is good. Balance, as much as we can have it.

good luck with the exam , ....you will have to explain this path ways in more detail later , ...

Thanks!

Well, if you like. I know a few pathways now. But they're pretty dry stuff.

yepp , ...Goloka Vrindarban here I come , ...I dont want to stay here for ever with a few exceptions the inhabitants are nuts , the sheep are more intelligent than the majority of the Humans !!!

Not sure we can get there with spaceships ratikala :(

Sorry to hear that you have issues like this with locals. But hey, as Hindus, we're basically crazy ourselves, in a different way, no?

I'm going to spend a few days in Skanda Vale in early July. Come to visit the place!

7.5 billion ish to 9 or 10 ,...yes it would be possible to feed this ammount , but much more it will just cause wars , ...

We've had wars with only a few tens of thousands of people, we have them now with 7.2 billion or so, and may well have more with 10 billion. But we are getting more peaceful, as a planet, much as it doesn't appear to be the case if you watch the media.

I just fear the big money motivated machines , you guys have the good ideas and they abuse them , ...

As I say, true with anything.

ok may be it dosent come under the heading of genetic , ...but , ....a combination of toxins , diet and stress are causing an increase of sterility , that is one way of limiting the population , ....also chemical levels in the enviroment and in the food are raising the incidences of cancers and alergic reactions , ...other dietry and life style habits are causing an increase in diabetes , ....and so it goes on , ...

Yeah, those are all true. Health is important, but people don't have much interest in it. Or, perhaps, understanding of it, and its implications.

I think we deserve an award the only two people of RF actualy having a discussion , ....debate ? no , ...a heart felt discussion , ....its your subject , you are investing time and energy in studying it , ....I am just erring on the side of extreme caution and advocating a lot of caution , .....

I've had plenty of RF discussions! I had one with @Tumah just earlier, which remained very cordial despite the subject matter, I feel.

My subject, which I will leave behind as soon as I have the degree, I think! But yes at the moment, it is my subject.

Caution can be good. I just feel its misplaced to a degree here

best wishes and all blessings for your exams , ....

Thankyou! All over now. Finished Wednesday.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Kirran ji

Our roosters are both pretty animalistic. Food, sex, fighting over sex. That is all.

thats fine for animals , ...thats what animals do , ....but for any one with a Mahayana background (and this goes for many Dharmic paths ), .a Human birth is considered a higer birth due to our faculty for reasoning , ....with which we are if fortunate enough given the gift of the desire to understand the true nature of life and our nature in relation to the supreme , ....to a Viasnava , devotion is the highest gift . even amongst humans there are those whos nature is still animalistic , ...and there are animals of a gentler dissposition , ...those are Animals of more fortunate birth , ...

Yes, fair enough. One needs to exercise some degree of caution in everything, basically. Including genetic modification, etc. Not undue caution though, because then you get into paranoia, which isn't healthy. A fine line, maybe.

Oh agreed , its not healthy , .. am not realy coming at this question from a point of paranoia , ....I am looking at it from a point of detatchment , if I am totaly honest I think that Humanity is out of touch with what life actualy is for someone of faith life is for realising God , ...but we have become caught up on the journey it self as if life was the goal , ...life is just a passage of learning through which we pass yet because of our inteligence we have learnt to control material nature , so we have become caught up in the desire to inprove this passage of life , ...I have no objection to improving the quality of life of each person whilst they make this journey , ...but to get too hung up on the journey it self is is spiritual suicude , ...so yes it is a fine ballance , ....

No argument. But cures still need to be had for when needed. And some things can't be prevented. Many cancers, for example, just happen.

please excuse me if I seem a little fatalistic at the moment , ...this week we burried a freind of ours , ..sadly she died of Cancer , who knows what the causes of these things are , ....and there are two ways of looking at death , death of the physical body , or as a spiritual progression , ....and sometimes we can hold off death for a number of years for the jiva to remain here a little longer , but prehaps the Jiva has finnished here , ...some timesdeath is a part of the learning process about life and the illusion of self , ....

I think we need to translate such concepts of health and purity into words which are more palatable to people regardless of religion or lack thereof.

to a person of faith health and purity have a purpose , ...to the non religious the purpose is self or family centered , a person of faith lives to come closer to God , ....life it self is a part of a greater plan in which all that are near and dear to us play a accompaning role , to the non religious , this is it so you had better make the most of it ! the perspective is very different , ...

Reason behind something is the events that happened before it. All things are just determined, God's Will, if you like.

all things are determined , yes true , but we have an efect on the pace of that determination , ...

Just rock. Yes, let's colonise away. The asteroids are the future, I think. I really support moving out into space.

but dosent that make it all to easy to act irresponcibly here towards Bhumi devi , we can just leave her ???

Sorry to depress you :(

depression if that is what it is just causes me to think , ...what this life is and what rthe correct ballance should be ?

Where are you again, ratikala?

Kaliyuga , ....sometimes it disgusts me , ...

What is it about people that makes them so hard to interact with?

tunnel vision , ....self obsession , and sometimes pure selfishness ..but that is natural this is Kaliyuga , the kali yuga mentality is self obsessed rather than God conscious , ....kaliyuga mentality is blind it sees only material gain and enjoyment ,

Im not discontent , ..I'm just noticing all the stuff that happens , ....

Sri Krsna in the Gita says ''one who is equal in happiness and distress'' ...''such a devotee is very dear to me ''

Yes! A cheerful ratikala again.

Do you know many yogis who have much to do with lambs?

I am back in Wales for a few days, so I saw her again today. She's not really tame anymore. But she's very big.

yogi who loves Lambs ??? ....Kirran ji :)

To test me? Did I pass? ;)

do you learn something from such conversations ? if so then yes you pass :p

Likewise. A good conversation. We're both too easy-going for it to become an argument.

two Santosin's

Yeah, they can be a really useful framework. But one needs to make sure one agrees with what on'es following, rather than just following it.

but how canone caught up in the ignorance that is conditioned life know if he agrees or dissagrees without first testing such a law as the Yoga system , ....?

Holistic is good. Balance, as much as we can have it.

even here we need to realy study reality before we can even begin to understand ballance .
and to know reality we have to question our perspective , we cant look purely from a material veiw point , if we do the veiw will be imballanced before we even begin , .....

Not sure we can get there with spaceships ratikala :(

true devotees dont need spaceships , ..only bodies need spaceships , ....

Devotees can go there when ever they like , ....do Advaitins dance like Vaisnavas ? ...if they did they would know how to get to Vrindarban without spaceships , ....:p

Sorry to hear that you have issues like this with locals. But hey, as Hindus, we're basically crazy ourselves, in a different way, no?

crazy , its all a matter of opinion , ....if the majority of people think that I am nuts than take that as a compliment :p

I'm going to spend a few days in Skanda Vale in early July. Come to visit the place!

so you have awarded your self a good retreat after your exams, ....nice :)

we've allways promiced our selves that we should go , .....but still we havent gone yet , I've seen photos , ....

Yeah, those are all true. Health is important, but people don't have much interest in it. Or, perhaps, understanding of it, and its implications.

but this is our responcibility , why are people so dissinterested in what is good for them??? .....culture is seriously lacking if it does not include this in its education , .....

My subject, which I will leave behind as soon as I have the degree, I think! But yes at the moment, it is my subject.

have you decided what you want to do once you have qualified ?

Thankyou! All over now. Finished Wednesday.

Hmmm , ...now just wait for the results , when do you hear how you have done ?

beat wishes , hope youve done well :)[/quote][/quote]

Kirran

Premium Member
thats fine for animals , ...thats what animals do , ....but for any one with a Mahayana background (and this goes for many Dharmic paths ), .a Human birth is considered a higer birth due to our faculty for reasoning , ....with which we are if fortunate enough given the gift of the desire to understand the true nature of life and our nature in relation to the supreme , ....to a Viasnava , devotion is the highest gift . even amongst humans there are those whos nature is still animalistic , ...and there are animals of a gentler dissposition , ...those are Animals of more fortunate birth , ...

Cows are gentler than roosters :)

Oh agreed , its not healthy , .. am not realy coming at this question from a point of paranoia , ....I am looking at it from a point of detatchment , if I am totaly honest I think that Humanity is out of touch with what life actualy is for someone of faith life is for realising God , ...but we have become caught up on the journey it self as if life was the goal , ...life is just a passage of learning through which we pass yet because of our inteligence we have learnt to control material nature , so we have become caught up in the desire to inprove this passage of life , ...I have no objection to improving the quality of life of each person whilst they make this journey , ...but to get too hung up on the journey it self is is spiritual suicude , ...so yes it is a fine ballance , ....

I think it is necessary to accept, for the purposes of alleviating suffering, which certainly we are enjoined to do within dharma, that most people do not feel life is for realising God. We can encourage them to think it is, but we can't not help those who don't think so. It's fine, they're allowed to think that, maybe we're wrong, who knows? So we need to just help people regardless.

please excuse me if I seem a little fatalistic at the moment , ...this week we burried a freind of ours , ..sadly she died of Cancer , who knows what the causes of these things are , ....and there are two ways of looking at death , death of the physical body , or as a spiritual progression , ....and sometimes we can hold off death for a number of years for the jiva to remain here a little longer , but prehaps the Jiva has finnished here , ...some timesdeath is a part of the learning process about life and the illusion of self , ....

Yes this is true. But we can never know. Whatever ends up happening was what was always meant to happen. So if we keep somebody alive for a long time when they are ill, that was what was supposed to happen. If we don't, then that too was supposed to happen.

to a person of faith health and purity have a purpose , ...to the non religious the purpose is self or family centered , a person of faith lives to come closer to God , ....life it self is a part of a greater plan in which all that are near and dear to us play a accompaning role , to the non religious , this is it so you had better make the most of it ! the perspective is very different , ...

I'm not sure there's such a distinction. Having been thoroughly irreligious myself, there is still a strong sense, or can be a strong sense, of trying to make life better for the future, not just within one's own life, but for the world, for your children, etc. And being pure, being healthy, increase your happiness at the time, within this life, in any case. So you can do them entirely selfishly, even!

all things are determined , yes true , but we have an efect on the pace of that determination , ...

Or do we just think we do? :)

but dosent that make it all to easy to act irresponcibly here towards Bhumi devi , we can just leave her ???

I kind of think it's the opposite. If we have other places to go, then we have less of an excuse to wreck the one planet with an entire biosphere.

depression if that is what it is just causes me to think , ...what this life is and what rthe correct ballance should be ?

Have you found the answers?

tunnel vision , ....self obsession , and sometimes pure selfishness ..but that is natural this is Kaliyuga , the kali yuga mentality is self obsessed rather than God conscious , ....kaliyuga mentality is blind it sees only material gain and enjoyment ,

But we've gotta help people anyway.

Im not discontent , ..I'm just noticing all the stuff that happens , ....

Sri Krsna in the Gita says ''one who is equal in happiness and distress'' ...''such a devotee is very dear to me ''

A fine quote, a beautiful quote. jai jai​

do you learn something from such conversations ? if so then yes you pass :p

Yes! I can put this on my application letters for future employers.

but how canone caught up in the ignorance that is conditioned life know if he agrees or dissagrees without first testing such a law as the Yoga system , ....?

Gotta try it first. Proof's in the pudding!

even here we need to realy study reality before we can even begin to understand ballance .
and to know reality we have to question our perspective , we cant look purely from a material veiw point , if we do the veiw will be imballanced before we even begin , .....

Got to realise the Self to fully understand. Or however you say that in the Vaishnava language!

But yes, it's necessary to look at things from different angles. For me, there isn't material, there isn't spiritual. There's just one common substance, one universal substrate, That. You've felt it, I'm sure :)

You are a dualist?

true devotees dont need spaceships , ..only bodies need spaceships , ....

Devotees can go there when ever they like , ....do Advaitins dance like Vaisnavas ? ...if they did they would know how to get to Vrindarban without spaceships , ....:p

Spaceships are meant to carry you around in space, not between spiritual planes :) But maybe if a spaceship's computer was to encode a human mind, then it could also be a devotee, and dance like a Vaishnava.

Do Advaitins dance like Vaishnavas? They certainly can. One can be both Vaishnava and Advaitin, in theory at least. I don't know of any Advaitin Vaishnavas myself.

crazy , its all a matter of opinion , ....if the majority of people think that I am nuts than take that as a compliment :p

That works :) Crazy is certainly opinion.

so you have awarded your self a good retreat after your exams, ....nice :)

we've allways promiced our selves that we should go , .....but still we havent gone yet , I've seen photos , ....

You will like Valli the elephant, I think.

but this is our responcibility , why are people so dissinterested in what is good for them??? .....culture is seriously lacking if it does not include this in its education , .....

It is odd, really it is. I don't know why. I don't buy into the yugas so literally, myself.

have you decided what you want to do once you have qualified ?

Yes, I want to be a sadhu. Or a sannyasi, anyway, it need not be a sadhu exactly. That's what I'm drawn to, what my instinct is.

But perhaps I'll do some inter-faith work for a while first. I already have something coming up in that area, starting September 2016. I'll see how I feel, and what's appropriate.

Hmmm , ...now just wait for the results , when do you hear how you have done ?

beat wishes , hope youve done well :)

Thanks for the best wishes ratikala! I think sometime in July. Not sure. Working without care for the fruits of my actions :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We are animals also, is it ethical for animals to eat each other, of course it is, ethics don't even come into it.
Were going to eventually be eaten ourselves one day by another organism.

Hopefully I'll be delicious and the bellies full.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram ji

Cows are gentler than roosters :)

Gomata Ki jai , ....

I think it is necessary to accept, for the purposes of alleviating suffering, which certainly we are enjoined to do within dharma, that most people do not feel life is for realising God. We can encourage them to think it is, but we can't not help those who don't think so. It's fine, they're allowed to think that, maybe we're wrong, who knows? So we need to just help people regardless.

it is true many people do not realise , it takes some form of awakening , some particular experience , ....for beleif and realisation to occur , .....then it occurs in stages , just a little awakening here , just a little questioning there and slowly awakening happens , ...many many people are just like the child that is facinated with his toys as they grow the focus of their facination changes onto new toys and new accheivements , it is like saying that the Jiva comes back again and again to continue his facination with material life , only when something happens which causes him to look beyond the material does he start to question , then with questions if they are sincere comes the space for answers to form , ....oh yes it is fine , a person may think as he thinks , he must discover certain truths for himself , ...there is no point to force ones understanding upon him unless it falls with in our Dharma to do so , .....for instance as a (Hindu) parent one is bound by Dharma to give ones child both a material and spititual education , to perform samskaras at the right points , ...this is the best help we can give , people outside of our families we can only offer support in which ever way is needed , ....

Yes this is true. But we can never know. Whatever ends up happening was what was always meant to happen. So if we keep somebody alive for a long time when they are ill, that was what was supposed to happen. If we don't, then that too was supposed to happen.

in many respects yes , this is the age into which we are born , therefore many things which we experience are a part of that some good some bad , ...to be kept alive with no quality of life is a sad torture , some times it is done because the treatment exissts and a doctor may feel it to be wrong to refuse it , it is placing an unfair descission upon him , but some people do ask , .. for instance ''Do Not Revive''...and in other instances they can choose to refuse treatment , ..so here we have a potentialy good thing which causes some not so good dilemas at times .

I'm not sure there's such a distinction. Having been thoroughly irreligious myself, there is still a strong sense, or can be a strong sense, of trying to make life better for the future, not just within one's own life, but for the world, for your children, etc. And being pure, being healthy, increase your happiness at the time, within this life, in any case. So you can do them entirely selfishly, even!

even her there are differnt conceptions regarding what constitutes future , we will all look at it differently religious or non religious , ...you have followed these principles through Yoga practice , even following Patanjalis five yamas and niyamas you are following a dicipline then by following that dicipline you can become aware of the results of such actions , and with this comes a different understanding of purity , it is an unfolding , for instannce some one might begin Yoga practice for purely selfish reasons but as one progresses one learns to look at life with a different perspective . the attitude may change completly , but this is a very gradual and subtle change .

Or do we just think we do? :)

we do !.. there is allways free will , ...we canot blame our laziness or lack of action upon fate , ...this takes us to the the Gita's teaching upon ''Action in Inaction and Inaction in Action'' this deserves a discussion all by it self , ...

I kind of think it's the opposite. If we have other places to go, then we have less of an excuse to wreck the one planet with an entire biosphere.

this brings us back to the question of morality , ....if our actions were more sustainable we would not need ot go planet hopping , if we had the technology to visit other planets without causing any detremental efects , then OK we can do it , ... but to travel to other planets because we have exausted this one is not the right reason to do so .

Have you found the answers?

Jai Jai , ....by Krsnas mercy , ...we are given the answers , all we have to do is make it our sadhana to understand and to put those answers into practice , ....
to say I have found the answers would sound vainglorious , ...but many years ago I read something so sweet , ...about stages of attainment in Buddhism , ....and the words ''unshakable faith'' were used , ...to me one may not have all the answers , but one may have experienced sufficient answers to realise that ones faith is unshakable :)

But we've gotta help people anyway.

true experience leads one to develop compassion , compassion has to help where ever it can :)
but sometimes when a person is stuck in their thinking , there is very little way one can help except by setting an example that they may not even be ready to follow , but that example might have hidden influinces , imprints that might at some point ripen with positive results , this is our duty , but prehaps the largest duty is to become proficient in ones sadhana oneself then we are better equiped to help others .​

Got to realise the Self to fully understand. Or however you say that in the Vaishnava language!

But yes, it's necessary to look at things from different angles. For me, there isn't material, there isn't spiritual. There's just one common substance, one universal substrate, That. You've felt it, I'm sure :)

You are a dualist?

here I am refering to something more commonly acknowledged verbaly , and described by Buddhists as the two truths , ...that being that in this bodily form we are subject to two truths symultaniously , conventional reality and ultimate reality , a Vaisnava tends to look at our material and bodily concerns as temporary and to some extent illusuory in that they are not what we realy are in the ultimate sence , ....so they are accknowledging this same Two Truths Doctrine , .....how ever it has nothing to do with being monist or dualist .

Spaceships are meant to carry you around in space, not between spiritual planes :) But maybe if a spaceship's computer was to encode a human mind, then it could also be a devotee, and dance like a Vaishnava.

Im not interested in space , only spiritual planes , so I dont think I need a spaceship , :D....so my poor mind is deffinatly boggled at the thought of programing Bhakti into a space ship , ...:confused:

Do Advaitins dance like Vaishnavas? They certainly can. One can be both Vaishnava and Advaitin, in theory

excuse my asking , but how ?

at least. I don't know of any Advaitin Vaishnavas myself.

Hee Hee me neither !

You will like Valli the elephant, I think.

poor Valli , ...I am sure wales is too cold for an elephant I hope he has a coat for cold days .

It is odd, really it is. I don't know why. I don't buy into the yugas so literally, myself.

you have plenty of time in your life to change understandings and opinopns , you will be quite surprised things just fit into place all of the sudden and some things become suddenly clear , ...its not a subject that can be studied interlectualy , my nana once made a comment about how much had changed in her lifetime and about the degrading tendance of humanity , I was probably about fourteen so I didnt realy understand what she was saying , ...but haveing watched more of life go by I now understand exactly what she meant , she had no concept of yugas just experience of life .

Yes, I want to be a sadhu. Or a sannyasi, anyway, it need not be a sadhu exactly. That's what I'm drawn to, what my instinct is.
But perhaps I'll do some inter-faith work for a while first. I already have something coming up in that area, starting September 2016. I'll see how I feel, and what's appropriate.

I have allways wondered how Skandavale ballance the interfaith aspect ? it comes across that they are primarily Hindu although not of any particular Sampradaya from what I gather from freinds , so many of the visitors to our temple had been there and freinds of mine went a couple of years back , but I still havent :( they are strict vegetarian I know , ...this is good :) ..... but being south Indian in origin do they take onion and Garlic ???

on the subject of inter faith work , ..how much importance would you place on Bhakti in enabling a person to accept and work with all faiths ? ....

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
"Please don't eat me, and I'll sing you a song...." :p

th

Kirran

Premium Member
it is true many people do not realise , it takes some form of awakening , some particular experience , ....for beleif and realisation to occur , .....then it occurs in stages , just a little awakening here , just a little questioning there and slowly awakening happens , ...many many people are just like the child that is facinated with his toys as they grow the focus of their facination changes onto new toys and new accheivements , it is like saying that the Jiva comes back again and again to continue his facination with material life , only when something happens which causes him to look beyond the material does he start to question , then with questions if they are sincere comes the space for answers to form , ....oh yes it is fine , a person may think as he thinks , he must discover certain truths for himself , ...there is no point to force ones understanding upon him unless it falls with in our Dharma to do so , .....for instance as a (Hindu) parent one is bound by Dharma to give ones child both a material and spititual education , to perform samskaras at the right points , ...this is the best help we can give , people outside of our families we can only offer support in which ever way is needed , ....

As an Advaitin, I don't believe the jiva really exists :D

Yes, that's very noble. A parent is the child's first guru.

in many respects yes , this is the age into which we are born , therefore many things which we experience are a part of that some good some bad , ...to be kept alive with no quality of life is a sad torture , some times it is done because the treatment exissts and a doctor may feel it to be wrong to refuse it , it is placing an unfair descission upon him , but some people do ask , .. for instance ''Do Not Revive''...and in other instances they can choose to refuse treatment , ..so here we have a potentialy good thing which causes some not so good dilemas at times .

It is a complicated one, and varies very much case by case. But I wouldn't be without the availability of these treatments for the world.

even her there are differnt conceptions regarding what constitutes future , we will all look at it differently religious or non religious , ...you have followed these principles through Yoga practice , even following Patanjalis five yamas and niyamas you are following a dicipline then by following that dicipline you can become aware of the results of such actions , and with this comes a different understanding of purity , it is an unfolding , for instannce some one might begin Yoga practice for purely selfish reasons but as one progresses one learns to look at life with a different perspective . the attitude may change completly , but this is a very gradual and subtle change .

Yeah, that's true. The practice can change a person, although how this happens is complicated and variable. I don't feel my conception of the future is by any means incompatible with atheistic conceptions, whatever they are. To some conceptions held by some atheists, probably.

we do !.. there is allways free will , ...we canot blame our laziness or lack of action upon fate , ...this takes us to the the Gita's teaching upon ''Action in Inaction and Inaction in Action'' this deserves a discussion all by it self , ...

Free will is a complicated thing. I basically operate under 'It doesn't exist, but I'll act as if it does'. But really, I don't think it exists or doesn't exist, because the term is an absurdity borne out of the illusion of the individual.

this brings us back to the question of morality , ....if our actions were more sustainable we would not need ot go planet hopping , if we had the technology to visit other planets without causing any detremental efects , then OK we can do it , ... but to travel to other planets because we have exausted this one is not the right reason to do so .

The idea isn't to do it because we've exhausted this one.

Anymore than the Australian Aborigines moved into Australia because they'd exhausted Southeast Asia, or the Norse moved into Iceland because they'd exhausted Scandinavia.

Jai Jai , ....by Krsnas mercy , ...we are given the answers , all we have to do is make it our sadhana to understand and to put those answers into practice , ....
to say I have found the answers would sound vainglorious , ...but many years ago I read something so sweet , ...about stages of attainment in Buddhism , ....and the words ''unshakable faith'' were used , ...to me one may not have all the answers , but one may have experienced sufficient answers to realise that ones faith is unshakable :)

I'm happy you have such faith. A beautiful thing :)

true experience leads one to develop compassion , compassion has to help where ever it can :)
but sometimes when a person is stuck in their thinking , there is very little way one can help except by setting an example that they may not even be ready to follow , but that example might have hidden influinces , imprints that might at some point ripen with positive results , this is our duty , but prehaps the largest duty is to become proficient in ones sadhana oneself then we are better equiped to help others .

Yes, that's true. It can be hard to help some people, particularly when your priorities are so different to theirs. I agree very much that advancing in your own sadhana is itself ultimately a helpful act for other people, and so can be done out of compassion.

here I am refering to something more commonly acknowledged verbaly , and described by Buddhists as the two truths , ...that being that in this bodily form we are subject to two truths symultaniously , conventional reality and ultimate reality , a Vaisnava tends to look at our material and bodily concerns as temporary and to some extent illusuory in that they are not what we realy are in the ultimate sence , ....so they are accknowledging this same Two Truths Doctrine , .....how ever it has nothing to do with being monist or dualist .

Hmmm. Yes, I see what you're saying. What different people think of these two levels as varies. In Advaita, conventional reality is maya, illusion. For the follower of Sankhya, it's prakriti, and just a different form of reality, a different substance.

Im not interested in space , only spiritual planes , so I dont think I need a spaceship , :D....so my poor mind is deffinatly boggled at the thought of programing Bhakti into a space ship , ...:confused:

I'm not sure we could program it with bhakti. But we could program it with the capacity for bhakti :)

excuse my asking , but how ?

Well Vaishnavism and Advaita are addressing different things. I think most forms of Vaishnavism are Vishishtadvaita, but some are Dvaita, or Achintya Bhedha Abhedha, and maybe some others. But Vaishnavism revolves around the worship of Vishnu, the acknowledgement of Vishnu as God etc. But one could still worship Vishnu and think of Vishnu as Brahman in an Advaitic conception. Like there's Shiva Advaita, why not Vishnu Advaita? Also, many Smarthas worship Vishnu, and so are in a way Vaishnava.

poor Valli , ...I am sure wales is too cold for an elephant I hope he has a coat for cold days .

She has a warmed shed :)

you have plenty of time in your life to change understandings and opinopns , you will be quite surprised things just fit into place all of the sudden and some things become suddenly clear , ...its not a subject that can be studied interlectualy , my nana once made a comment about how much had changed in her lifetime and about the degrading tendance of humanity , I was probably about fourteen so I didnt realy understand what she was saying , ...but haveing watched more of life go by I now understand exactly what she meant , she had no concept of yugas just experience of life .

We'll have to see, I suppose. At the moment, I don't think humans are intrinsically degradative. Did you know, the decade from 2000-2010 was the most peaceful in all of human history, per capita? We just hear a lot about the bad stuff.

I have allways wondered how Skandavale ballance the interfaith aspect ? it comes across that they are primarily Hindu although not of any particular Sampradaya from what I gather from freinds , so many of the visitors to our temple had been there and freinds of mine went a couple of years back , but I still havent :( they are strict vegetarian I know , ...this is good :) ..... but being south Indian in origin do they take onion and Garlic ???

They do follow a particular guru. I can't remember his name right now. They basically function as a Hindu ashram, but they do hold a Christian service on Sundays, I wonder what it's like! I believe they do eat onion and garlic. They have so many meals on offer as prasad that I'm sure it's more than feasible to not eat those if you prefer.

on the subject of inter faith work , ..how much importance would you place on Bhakti in enabling a person to accept and work with all faiths ? ....

Importance. Hmm. If you're able to cultivate it in the right way, then it's very useful. If not, then it's not useful, as you don't have it. I wouldn't say it's necessary.

For me, personally, it will be very helpful, I am sure. I feel all religion is a manifestation and complexification (a word?) of our experience of That. And That is glorious, divine, ineffable.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Kirran ji

please excuse me but probably I dont have time to answer all points

As an Advaitin, I don't believe the jiva really exists :D

do you beleive in reincarnation or rebirth ?

It is a complicated one, and varies very much case by case. But I wouldn't be without the availability of these treatments for the world.

all I am saying is that Karma has made it so and now we have these advancements we allso have the dilemas which accompany them . ....no desire comes without its consequences both good and not so good .

Free will is a complicated thing. I basically operate under 'It doesn't exist, but I'll act as if it does'. But really, I don't think it exists or doesn't exist, because the term is an absurdity borne out of the illusion of the individual.

''I basically operate under 'It doesn't exist, but I'll act as if it does'. '' ......:)
''because the term is an absurdity borne out of the illusion of the individual''
to me this is taking the non existant / illusuory nature of maya too literaly , prehaps try looking at it as our having a temporary nature and a true nature , ....the mistake is in thinking the temporary nature to be the true reality , ....not that nothing realy exists at all :)

Anymore than the Australian Aborigines moved into Australia because they'd exhausted Southeast Asia, or the Norse moved into Iceland because they'd exhausted Scandinavia.

and we know why they migrated ??? ...we only think we know ;)

I'm happy you have such faith. A beautiful thing :)

Hee Hee , ...me too :p .......otherwise I couldnt cope with this world .​

Hmmm. Yes, I see what you're saying. What different people think of these two levels as varies. In Advaita, conventional reality is maya, illusion. For the follower of Sankhya, it's prakriti, and just a different form of reality, a different substance.

this was a Buddhist understanding common in India before the arival of Advaita , ....each following tradition realising to be true retained the realisation in some form , ....conventional reality , yes maya , ...our embodied conditioning .

Well Vaishnavism and Advaita are addressing different things. I think most forms of Vaishnavism are Vishishtadvaita, but some are Dvaita, or Achintya Bhedha Abhedha, and maybe some others. But Vaishnavism revolves around the worship of Vishnu, the acknowledgement of Vishnu as God etc. But one could still worship Vishnu and think of Vishnu as Brahman in an Advaitic conception. Like there's Shiva Advaita, why not Vishnu Advaita? Also, many Smarthas worship Vishnu, and so are in a way Vaishnava.

Prehaps not so much adressing as realising different aspects of the same ultimate reality , ....this is important especialy if you are thinking of doing interfaith work , ....we are all realising different aspects of the one supreme , ...and building paths around our own fragment of understanding , ....

when realisation is complete such boundaries as religions and phylosopical trditions melt away all that is left is love

She has a warmed shed :)

and nice welsh straw and blankets , ....Good Good ... :)

We'll have to see, I suppose. At the moment, I don't think humans are intrinsically degradative. Did you know, the decade from 2000-2010 was the most peaceful in all of human history, per capita? We just hear a lot about the bad stuff.

we may not be at war but we are facing constant moral decline , ....Bless you you are too young to have realy noticed the decline and realised that it ultimatly only goes one way , ....my Nana explained this to me when I was prehaps only a little yonger than you are now , ....saddly she was right :(

that dosent mean that there is not good in the world or that we should stop trying or loving , ...

They do follow a particular guru. I can't remember his name right now. They basically function as a Hindu ashram, but they do hold a Christian service on Sundays, I wonder what it's like! I believe they do eat onion and garlic. They have so many meals on offer as prasad that I'm sure it's more than feasible to not eat those if you prefer.

Subramanium ji , ....Guru Subramanium , ....I think he was Sri Lankan a freind of ours knew him well so I have heard a lot about him , ....onion and Garlic yes probably , allthough due to the amount of visitors they may offer pure vegetatian also , ..although Prasada is tecnicaly offered so you should accept , ...Hee Hee , .... I can take fruits

Importance. Hmm. If you're able to cultivate it in the right way, then it's very useful. If not, then it's not useful, as you don't have it. I wouldn't say it's necessary.

For me, personally, it will be very helpful, I am sure. I feel all religion is a manifestation and complexification (a word?) of our experience of That. And That is glorious, divine, ineffable.[/QUOTE]

this deserves a long conversation so I will save for later , ....

blessings , ...
namaskaram