• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternity is Hell.

justamere10

Eternity would be hell, if I have to listen to my favourite song for infinite number of time for the rest of my afterlife. That would be hell.
As a Latter-day Saint it is my belief that every human being has the potential to live with their family and learn and progress forever.

Personally I think I would be content to be a perfect husband and perfect father forever. But I realize that may not be for everyone. Maybe that's why in our belief that God has or will create more than just one heaven.

justamere10

This is not evidence of anything, just religious fervor.
In courts of law people are sometimes condemned even to death based on the evidence provided by the testimony of witnesses. There have been a huge number of witnesses over the ages that God lives and Jesus is the Christ, and there continues to be in our time, even living apostles who are special witnesses of Christ to all the world.

For example: “And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

Jesus Christ, The Son of God - Testimonies of Him - The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses

Books of scripture are evidences similar to historical documents of a secular nature. We wouldn't know much about ancient Rome without such documents. So why are the books of the bible not evidence at least as valid as ancient secular documents?

Last edited:

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
Eternal life is living hell,
Honestly, if you have read this over the most you can sanely ask for is maybe a couple hundred extra years, anything beyond that would be so much of a burden it would be unbearable.
Speak for yourself old mate. Apparrently you dont love life that much. Myself, I could live a million life times and not even begin to do all that I wish to do now, let alone all that I would want to do in another million years or so.

How can something that you love, ever become a burden?

I remember a young lad sitting at our table who asked the question, "Who in their right mind would ever want to live to be a hundred?" And I believe that everyone else at that table answered with one voice, "Everyone who is 99 years old." I believe that if I were able to live for a million years, and finally a voice from above said, "Righto mate, Times up," I would plead with him for just another thousand years or so.

A million years is less than .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of your existence for eternity....

S-word

Honestly, if you have read this over the most you can sanely ask for is maybe a couple hundred extra years, anything beyond that would be so much of a burden it would be unbearable.

A million years is less than .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of your existence for eternity....

A million lifetimes as I had stated would give me a higher percentage than that.

But putting all that aside, that which was in the beginning and has become “Who I Am” has lived for all eternity,But “I” the personality and godhead that has developed in this body which “Who I Am” pervades, am still not fully developed as yet, but when “I” the mind, inherit the new body that has been promised to me, and this body of corruptible matter, is converted to a incorruptible body of glorious and brilliant light and I am able to travel, not only into my eternal future, but also into the eternal past of “Who I Am,” then shall "I" be like my ancestral spirit "Who I Am," an eternal being.

Last edited:

trojanftball99

Eternal life is living hell, regardless of what the afterlife is or where you go if anywhere. Why should we be punished for a finite amount of time on earth, in an eternity? Why is the scope of human life so short in comparison to the afterlife?

Have you ever truly comprehended Eternity? Lets start with Infinity to get an idea, but to grasp Infinity we should probably just start with our universe. The visible universe is finite, whether it continues past where we can see is unknown.

Why is ending an existance better than eternal joy?? I know everyone is fearful when thinking of an eternal afterlife but to be fair you can't compare anything that happens in this life to what you could potentially experience in the next. Isn't feeling joy better than feeling nothing?? Below is just a brief description of heaven, and there is no possible way we can comprehend all the joys of such a place nor is a full description given to us. When anyone reaches heaven...a desire to end ones existance will be nonexistant.

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." 6He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

gnostic

The Lost One
justamere10 said:
Personally I think I would be content to be a perfect husband and perfect father forever. But I realize that may not be for everyone. Maybe that's why in our belief that God has or will create more than just one heaven.

trojanftball99 said:
Why is ending an existance better than eternal joy?? I know everyone is fearful when thinking of an eternal afterlife but to be fair you can't compare anything that happens in this life to what you could potentially experience in the next. Isn't feeling joy better than feeling nothing??

It's not for everyone, indeed.

I don't want to live forever - in this life or the next.

When I die, I hoped to completely cease to exist. No heaven and no hell. I don't want nor need reward. And I don't want to be punished as well. Heaven is as appealing as hell. And I don't want immortality.

Boredom would be hell for me, even if I live in heaven.

Plus, God sounds as arrogant (and let's not forget bossy) as Satan, so I don't like either mythical character.

Last edited:

justamere10

It's not for everyone, indeed. I don't want to live forever - in this life or the next. When I die, I hoped to completely cease to exist. No heaven and no hell. I don't want nor need reward. And I don't want to be punished as well. Heaven is as appealing as hell. And I don't want immortality. Boredom would be hell for me, even if I live in heaven...
Perhaps you would sooner never have lived at all.

I think this life is like being a child. There may have been many childhood even teen-age moments when we did not want to grow up and be an adult, it was too scary to contemplate. But eventually it came to each of us and by then we were better prepared for that role. I think it will be like that in the eternities as we view life and progression from a new perspective.

I believe that man is that he might have JOY. All most loving parents want for their children is that they be happy. I think that is all our Heavenly Father wants for us. And He provides the way for it to be realized, if only we'd listen to what He has to say...

S-word

It's not for everyone, indeed.
I don't want to live forever - in this life or the next.

When I die, I hoped to completely cease to exist. No heaven and no hell. I don't want nor need reward. And I don't want to be punished as well. Heaven is as appealing as hell. And I don't want immortality.

Boredom would be hell for me, even if I live in heaven.

Plus, God sounds as arrogant (and let's not forget bossy) as Satan, so I don't like either mythical character.

I would like to be there on the day that you learn that you are going to die, and to listen to your answer if you were offered another lifetime witout pain or suffering. Somehow I don't believe that you would say, "Nah let it finish here and now." Because if you are that bored with life, you would have terminated it yourself by now, and I believe that on any given day, there will always be something that you want to do tomorrow.

Last edited:

Francis

UBER-Christian
Well, i think you're still thinking of eternity in time, and i think that is the misconception. Eternity is the very opposite of time, so why try to measure it with time? It makes no sense. It's like trying to count to infinity. It doesn't work, and never will. Infinity isn't a number, but the absence of numbers. Same with eternity. It's the absense of time. I think... Peace!

averageJOE

zombie
I have a question:

Will god have "rules" for us to follow while spending eternity in heaven?

The only reason why I as is because if it set so many rules for us to follow during our short time on earth tends to make me think it has even more rules for us while in heaven. Or am I just crazy?

logician

In courts of law people are sometimes condemned even to death based on the evidence provided by the testimony of witnesses. There have been a huge number of witnesses over the ages that God lives and Jesus is the Christ, and there continues to be in our time, even living apostles who are special witnesses of Christ to all the world.

Sorry, there are no CONTEMPORY eyewitness reports of the supposed Jesus, what few writings by HISTORIANS there are, are after the fact, making them hearsay at best, and most all are considered to be forgeries added after the fact by "embellishers".

S-word

Sorry, there are no CONTEMPORY eyewitness reports of the supposed Jesus, what few writings by HISTORIANS there are, are after the fact, making them hearsay at best, and most all are considered to be forgeries added after the fact by "embellishers".

Show to me any writtings by HISTORIANS which were not written after the fact. When has any historical event been writen by HISTORIANS before the fact?

Is every historical event which has been writen by HISTORIANS after the fact, hearsay at best, or to be concidered forgeries after the fact by "embellishers"?

Jeremiah

I too believe that nonexistence is what happens after death. :yes:

However, I think the point still remains: Your "logic problems" with the afterlife are negated by the fact that we don't know any facts about a possible afterlife. You seemed fine making certain assumptions, but not others. You assume that our afterlife existence would be as a spirit and make futher assumptions about how this spirit would or wouldn't think. How is this logic? Since we can not study a spirit, neither can we make assumptions on how a spirit would or wouldn't think.

Regardless of the workings of a "spirit" we can say a thing or two about thought. Perhaps not with the definitiveness some would like but still, compelling enough. We could say, thought, as we know it, very likely, stems from gray flesh; and with the death of this flesh, thought, as we know it, would likely cease. And I think saying, as such, is within the bounds of acceptable reason; per Occam's razor.

So, he does have somewhat of a case. In saying: these are the inherent properties of a fleshy brain and when that flesh goes, it is likely, these properties will leave with it. But you are right, when in saying what the "spirit" can or can not do, there is no ground to say anything at all.

Last edited:

logician

Show to me any writtings by HISTORIANS which were not written after the fact. When has any historical event been writen by HISTORIANS before the fact?

Is every historical event which has been writen by HISTORIANS after the fact, hearsay at best, or to be concidered forgeries after the fact by "embellishers"?

Uh, I think most history is written "during the fact" while the information is fresh in their minds. In the case of Christianity, however, the gospels were written by unknown authors (not historians), well after the fact, each with their own (many times conflicting) version of the tales.

S-word

Uh, I think most history is written "during the fact" while the information is fresh in their minds. In the case of Christianity, however, the gospels were written by unknown authors (not historians), well after the fact, each with their own (many times conflicting) version of the tales.

The greater majority of Historians which we will name if it comes down to that, all recorded the historical event covered by them, after the fact. Do you now say that those historical events that were recorded after the fact, are hearsay at best, or to be concidered forgeries after the fact by "embellishers"?

Is every historical event that had been handed down orally through the generations until finally recorded in written form, to be concidered as hearsay at best, or forgeries by embellishers?

This is an old thread, but I feel like it makes more sense to bump an old thread than make a new one and I feel like what I have to say has merit.

I want to take a few moments to point out some problems I see frequently occur in this thread.

>1. Using extra-terrestrial travel as an argument of entertainment in the afterlife, this has already been dissected in the opening post, and while stated in a rather dull and simple way it suggests that even after seeing everything there is to see that there would still be an eternity left. You could see everything there is and you still would not be done. While I'm not saying you couldn't be crafty enough to spend a few million years this is only the beginning.

>2. Any comments regarding the spirit interpreting time differently are completely unrelateable to everyone but the person expressing them, what can logically be stated in the sense of the passing of time cannot be related to a transcendence of our worldly boredom because its not conductive to debate on the issue.

>3. And possibly my biggest personal gripe on the issue, its impossible to understand if you would want to live for a time period as large as a million years when you only exist for at most, a good 120 years. You don't understand the boredom and repetition of an endless cycle where a universe becomes as back of the hand and predictable as back yard, or a situation where even new experiences can easily be boring the first time they happen because a multitude of previous experiences make everything predictable and easily understandable. An eternity to explore a single universe to me is the death of wonder, no spark to figure things out. But this third point is largely opinion based. I'd like to see if we can get more opinions on this after three years.

gnostic

The Lost One
mellonhead said:
I'd like to see if we can get more opinions on this after three years.

3 years later, and my mind hasn't changed about eternity.The very idea of living forever in the afterlife is still unappealing.

One lifetime, good or bad, is enough.

justamere10 said:
Perhaps you would sooner never have lived at all.
s-word said:
I would like to be there on the day that you learn that you are going to die, and to listen to your answer if you were offered another lifetime witout pain or suffering. Somehow I don't believe that you would say, "Nah let it finish here and now." Because if you are that bored with life, you would have terminated it yourself by now, and I believe that on any given day, there will always be something that you want to do tomorrow.
Both of them don't understand.

Sure, there are some parts of my life in the past, have been boring. But that's not to say that I'm bored with this life and want to end it. I like my life now.

There are no evidences to support the notion of the afterlife, heaven and hell, reincarnation, etc. There are zero evidences to support the belief of deity/deities, spirits, angels and demons. They are just superstitions and wishful thinking, which these people called FAITH or BELIEF.

The whole notion of place or life without pain and suffering is simply wishful thinking. Seriously, if justamere10 believe in such notion, then why is there even hell or place of eternal torment and punishment?

So life here is precious. Why would I want to end my life or wish that I never live? (Which is what they are saying, meaning s-word and justamere10.) I don't have bl@@dy suicide tendency or death wish. Sure, I have my ups and downs, but doesn't mean I don't want to live my life, here and now. And it certainly doesn't mean that I want to end my life.

I simply don't desire this afterlife of eternity that these Christians (and Muslims) believe in.

I could ask them the same stupid questions they have asked:

• If they love this eternity in heaven so much, why don't they terminate it now, so they can go to this imaginary places (heaven or Paradise or the Blessed Isle) that they both dream of?
  • Are they so bored here and now that life have no meaning to them here?
You can call it "heaven" or you can call it "hell", but both of them are concepts of eternity that I have no desire, and they both look like hell to me. They are just two faces or two sides of the same coin.

Last edited: