• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal damnation. Why?

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
verita said:
YES, I am very very much scared because I KNOW the meaning of of the BOOKS.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, the small and the great, stand before God. And books were opened, and another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Those books are the compilation of Books of the Prophets and The Apostles, and it is called THE BIBLE.

God bless you. :sad:

Couldn't it quite easily include other holy texts? :angel2:

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
verita said:
Eternal Damnation is like a Capital Punishment in our time.

Elvendon said:

Capital Punishment is rejected in many countries now. Why? Because it's immoral.

verita said:
I know it is immoral. It is just my EXAMPLE why there is Eternal Punishment.

So basically you just said that eternal puinshment is immoral, which means that God must be immoral.

I agree completely.

A

angellous_evangellous

Archaeopteryx said:
Basically, damnation is a concept that was installed into the original Christian theology for the purpose of gaining greater influence, a greater threshold of adherents.

Not a good marketing tool, IMO.

I don't think that you can prove that it was installed for the purpose of gaining greater influence, but the doctrine most certainly is and was used to exert whatever agenda the church has. Augustine is the man who is pretty much responsible for the creation of our popular concept of hell, and he honestly believed it. He seems like a humble bishop to me and not a power broker. Judge for yourself: his writings are widely available online.

www.ccel.org

Augustine, Saint (354-430) [Author Info]

City of God
Confessiones [Latin]
Confessions and Enchiridion, newly translated and edited by Albert C. Outler
Confessions of Saint Augustine
Handbook on Faith, Hope, and Love
On Christian Doctrine, in Four Books
Sermones [Latin]

Earthling

David Henson
Shtef: A question for those who believe in hell and eternal damnation.

Earthling: I don't believe in hell and eternal damnation as such, but I would like to address your questions, if you don't mind.

Shtef: If God ever held the view that a soul did not deserve a place in heaven, why would 'he' need to go one step further and subject that soul to everlasting torment?

Earthling: First of all, the Bible teaches that the soul is, in a literal sense ... the blood of any living creature, and in a figurative sense ... the life of any living creature. If 'he,' (God is a spirit creature and referred to in the masculine sense, though without gender) thought that the soul of us ought to be in heaven he would have put it there in the first place. The Earth was created for man, and heaven was created for spirit creatures. The notion that all 'good' people go to heaven and all 'bad' people go to hell is a distortion of Bible teachings. Brought about by the Pagan influence in modern day Christianity.

Secondly, the soul, according to the Bible, is not immortal. It dies. (Ezekiel 18:4) So it can't be subjected to the everlasting torment ... that is the hellfire doctrine.
Being a new member and thus potentially a bothersome spammer, I am not yet allowed to give external links, active links. But here is something I have on my website on The Reality Of Hell. Copy the URL into your browser if you would be interested. (Edit: even that won't work ... We will just have to wait. Maybe I will post the information here in this thread.)

It explains how Hell is an old English word which means to cover or conceal. Similar words in our language comes from the same root. Shell, hill, heal, hull are all coverings of some sort and whole is an uncovering.

Shtef: if you answer 'the need for justice' would not disposing of the soul and denying it communion with God in heaven be a lot simpler and serve the ends of justice? What part of God would require 'him' to subject a soul to perpetual suffering?

Earthling: No part, at least not in a literal sense. The only perpetual suffering ... uh ... and this is used in the sense of the Greek word torment which can also be translated as 'jailer,' is that the life of the person is ended, whereas the life of the person not subject to this torment lives forever.

It is interesting that you use the word justice. Words are funny. They change in our minds and in our cultures. The Hebrew word ra is used to describe Jehovah God. He is that word and he created that word. The word means in a basic sense, justice through calamitous events. Like if you have to ground your child for playing out in the busy street, that is ra ... which is translated in our English as the word 'evil.'

According to the Bible and our English language, Jehovah God is evil and created evil. The flood, for example was, a necessary evil. Had the flood not taken place none of us would be here.

Here is my point. God created the earth for man to inhabit forever. If Adam had not sinned (sinned means to miss the mark, set by anyone, in this case God) he would have lived forever. Without sin. Sin = death. It is a rejection of God, the creator.
To make a long story short, man would destroy themselves leaving the earth uninhabitable without God. That is the obvious answer to the question of sin raised by Adam and Satan. In all fairness it has to be addressed.

Those who choose life and those who choose death. Everlasting. This is what the Bible teaches rather than a literal hell which is pagan in origin.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Rejected said:
So basically you just said that eternal puinshment is immoral, which means that God must be immoral.

If I believed that God imposed eternal punishment on the unwilling, then yes. Only those who dislike what God represents and react negatively to the love he offers to everyone will be tortured, and even these will always have the option to accept the love and give up their guilt.

If you think it's funny throwing about spurious, mocking assertions about the beliefs of others, then please remind me to never ask you to tell me a joke :)

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Elvendon said:
If I believed that God imposed eternal punishment on the unwilling, then yes. Only those who dislike what God represents and react negatively to the love he offers to everyone will be tortured, and even these will always have the option to accept the love and give up their guilt.

If you think it's funny throwing about spurious, mocking assertions about the beliefs of others, then please remind me to never ask you to tell me a joke :)

I wasn't trying to be ugly, I was just pointing out the error I saw in Verita's argument. It wasn't even directed at you.

Verita equated eternal damnation with capitol punishment, then went on to say that capitol punishment was immoral.

So:

Eternal Damnation = Capitol punishment
Capitol Punishment = Immoral
Eternal damnation = Immoral

Is this faulty?
Did I miss something.

And people who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs.

Earthling

David Henson
Rejected said:
And people who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs.

Now that is funny!

The expression that the truth is stranger than fiction ... comes to mind.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Rejected said:
I wasn't trying to be ugly, I was just pointing out the error I saw in Verita's argument. It wasn't even directed at you.

Oh I do apologise :sorry1: I've kind of developed a reflex action against offensive atheists who think that all theists think that everyone who isn't in their club goes to hell.

Your logic is faultless by the way :D

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Elvendon said:
Oh I do apologise :sorry1: I've kind of developed a reflex action against offensive atheists who think that all theists think that everyone who isn't in their club goes to hell.

Your logic is faultless by the way :D

No worries.

I understand that a lot of people do not agree with or accept the concept of eternal punishment, and I have heaps more respect for that line of thinking.

I wouldn't say that Im an atheist, more like an agnostic pantheist or a deist, but i do beleive that God, if such a thing exists, is completely beyond human comprehension and that the search for understand of the nature of God is and should be a completely personal one.

It just seems to me that people have a way of attributing human characteristics (revenge, punishment, etc.) to a concept that is so far above human limitations that its sort of ridiculous.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Rejected said:
No worries.

I understand that a lot of people do not agree with or accept the concept of eternal punishment, and I have heaps more respect for that line of thinking.

I'm glad :) It gets so tiring otherwise...

I wouldn't say that Im an atheist, more like an agnostic pantheist or a deist, but i do beleive that God, if such a thing exists, is completely beyond human comprehension and that the search for understand of the nature of God is and should be a completely personal one.

I entirely respect that line of thought. In my honest opinion, I think that it really should be a personal search also, but I believe doing it with others can help bring that personal journey along somewhat - much like an AA meeting ;)

It just seems to me that people have a way of attributing human characteristics (revenge, punishment, etc.) to a concept that is so far above human limitations that its sort of ridiculous.

Indeed. Putting judicial fetters on God's behaviour in response to the immortal essence of human being can be a useful explanitory tool, but take it too far and you get far too obstructed by it.

verita

Rejected said:
I agree completely.

You misunderstood me.

Capital Punishment is immoral because humans are not supposed to kill humans.
Mat 5:21 You have heard that it was said to the ancients, "You shall not kill" --and, "Whoever shall kill shall be liable to the judgment."

For Christians it is strictest. By merely saying fool to your brother you will be liable to be thrown into the fire of hell.
Mat 5:22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be liable to the judgment. And whoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be liable to the sanhedrin; but whoever shall say, Fool! shall be liable to be thrown into the fire of hell.

Eternal Damnation is the punishment for the immoral
. If a person knew the law of God and he disobey it intentionally then that person is immoral in the sight of God and subject to Eternal Damnation.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
verita said:
You misunderstood me.

No, I understand you perfectly. you believe in some supreme authority that sits in judgment upon all of us heathens and nonbelievers, that we will burn in eternal hellfire, or spend eternity in "the outer darkness, where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth."

verita said:
Capital Punishment is immoral because humans are not supposed to kill humans.
Mat 5:21
You have heard that it was said to the ancients, "You shall not kill" --and, "Whoever shall kill shall be liable to the judgment."

I'm not even going to bother listing all the biblical verses where God commands his followers to kill men, women and children.

verita said:
[/SIZE][/FONT] For Christians it is strictest. By merely saying fool to your brother you will be liable to be thrown into the fire of hell.
Mat 5:22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be liable to the judgment. And whoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be liable to the sanhedrin; but whoever shall say, Fool! shall be liable to be thrown into the fire of hell.

Eternal Damnation is the punishment for the immoral
. If a person knew the law of God and he disobey it intentionally then that person is immoral in the sight of God and subject to Eternal Damnation.

But when a man has shown that he is damaging to society, without remorse, and willing to further do harm it is immoral for his fellow man to remove him so that we may protect the rest of the community?

That just doesn't make sense.

This is a double standard. Do as I say and not as I do. I don't accept it from my politicians, why would I accept it from God. The highest authority must be held to the highest standards, not free to do whatever whim strikes him, without justification.

Your "God" (actually it's yor church that is responsible) is using scare tactics to gain followers, forgive me if I don't cower and grovel; pride is one of my favorite sins. ;)

verita

Rejected said:
No, I understand you perfectly. you believe in some supreme authority that sits in judgment upon all of us heathens and nonbelievers, that we will burn in eternal hellfire, or spend eternity in "the outer darkness, where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth."

I'm not even going to bother listing all the biblical verses where God commands his followers to kill men, women and children.

But when a man has shown that he is damaging to society, without remorse, and willing to further do harm it is immoral for his fellow man to remove him so that we may protect the rest of the community?

That just doesn't make sense.

This is a double standard. Do as I say and not as I do. I don't accept it from my politicians, why would I accept it from God. The highest authority must be held to the highest standards, not free to do whatever whim strikes him, without justification.

Your "God" (actually it's yor church that is responsible) is using scare tactics to gain followers, forgive me if I don't cower and grovel; pride is one of my favorite sins. ;)
Rev 1:16 And He had seven stars in His right hand, and out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword. And His face was like the sun shining in its strength.

Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Word of God is sharper than two-edge sword. It can hurt feelings.
:shrug:

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
verita said:
Rev 1:16 And He had seven stars in His right hand, and out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword. And His face was like the sun shining in its strength.

Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Word of God is sharper than two-edge sword. It can hurt feelings.
:shrug:

What exactly is the point of this post?

verita

Rejected said:
What exactly is the point of this post?

Go to "Christianity in General section". Look for the topic "These are the Words of God". You will get the meaning of it in that topic.

God bless you.