• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal damnation. Why?

Shtef

A question for those who believe in hell and eternal damnation.

If God ever held the view that a soul did not deserve a place in heaven, why would 'he' need to go one step further and subject that soul to everlasting torment?

if you answer 'the need for justice' would not disposing of the soul and denying it communion with God in heaven be a lot simpler and serve the ends of justice? What part of God would require 'him' to subject a soul to perpetual suffering?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

That is a very good question. Why not just send 'em to a parking lot or something instead of Paradise, (pun intended) as opposed to eternal torture?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Shtef said:

If God ever held the view that a soul did not deserve a place in heaven, why would 'he' need to go one step further and subject that soul to everlasting torment?

if you answer 'the need for justice' would not disposing of the soul and denying it communion with God in heaven be a lot simpler and serve the ends of justice? What part of God would require 'him' to subject a soul to perpetual suffering?

I personally don't believe in hell and damnation................

Archaeopteryx

Some form of reprehension must be installed into a nascent religion to regulate those who would disregard the religion as anything more than myth; if there is to be unquestionable loyalty to the religion by its followers and their descendants, there must be an ambient fear encapsulating the choice to sway from its influence.

Basically, damnation is a concept that was installed into the original Christian theology for the purpose of gaining greater influence, a greater threshold of adherents.

bigvindaloo

Archaeopteryx said:
Some form of reprehension must be installed into a nascent religion to regulate those who would disregard the religion as anything more than myth; if there is to be unquestionable loyalty to the religion by its followers and their descendants, there must be an ambient fear encapsulating the choice to sway from its influence.

Basically, damnation is a concept that was installed into the original Christian theology for the purpose of gaining greater influence, a greater threshold of adherents.

Didn't those religions that require "some form of reprehension" originate in a time and place where someone stepping outside the religious status quo could expect a good flogging?

BruceDLimber

Hi!

Not all religions teach eternal damnation.

The Baha'i Faith, in particular, while it believes in Heaven and hell as the spiritual conditions of nearness to / separation from God (these being self-imposed states), also teaches that God, in His Mercy, will eventually assist even the most recalcitrant sinner to draw nearer to Him, thus making hell at worst a temporary condition....

Regards,

Bruce

Archaeopteryx

bigvindaloo said:
Didn't those religions that require "some form of reprehension" originate in a time and place where someone stepping outside the religious status quo could expect a good flogging?

Quite a good flogging, yeah. I suspect I wouldn't have been quite the outspoken non-adherent I've shown myself to be in Biblical times; hell, the death of one's family or friends for mere blasphemy would pretty much set anyone into quiet obedience.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Shtef said:

Excellent question! I've asked it many times myself on this board; but so far, I haven't gotten any answers that satisfy me. Apparently, many Christians feel that it's OK for millions of people to burn in hell, as long as their own sanctimonius souls are ticketed for heaven. :p

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
retrorich said:
Excellent question! I've asked it many times myself on this board; but so far, I haven't gotten any answers that satisfy me. Apparently, many Christians feel that it's OK for millions of people to burn in hell, as long as their own sanctimonius souls are ticketed for heaven. :p
Just curious, retrorich... Do you see most of the Christians on RF as being sanctimonius? I ask, because I can think of only a very small number who strike me as being the way you seem to paint the majority of us.

may

Archaeopteryx said:

i would say that it was installed into the apostate christianity , as the original christianity did not teach this. and the true christianity now ,still does not teach it, it is not a bible teaching

St0ne

Did jesus ever want to see justice? I'm not sure. To me justice is just another way of saying revenge and I don't see that as a godly trait.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
St0ne said:
Did jesus ever want to see justice? I'm not sure. To me justice is just another way of saying revenge and I don't see that as a godly trait.
Are you saying there should be no consequences for breaking God's laws? I personally am more comfortable worshipping a God I know will hold us responsible for our behavior than I would be worshipping one who simply turned a blind eye to our disobedience. I see justice as an entirely godly quality. When tempered with mercy, it becomes the perfect combination.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
Just curious, retrorich... Do you see most of the Christians on RF as being sanctimonius? I ask, because I can think of only a very small number who strike me as being the way you seem to paint the majority of us.

I wouldn't dream of answering for retrorich, but I would comment that in my experience the sanctimonious folks he refers to tend to run screaming from a place like RF and spend their time preaching to the choir elsewhere.

That's been my experience online since the 80s. :shrug:

It really hasn't altered much over the years.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Booko said:
I wouldn't dream of answering for retrorich, but I would comment that in my experience the sanctimonious folks he refers to tend to run screaming from a place like RF and spend their time preaching to the choir elsewhere.

That's been my experience online since the 80s. :shrug:

It really hasn't altered much over the years.
I agree. That's what I have found, too. In fact, while the forum was down yesterday, I just started looking at a few other religious forums. I always do a search on "Mormon" and the results give me a pretty good indication of whether I'm going to want to stick around. In the sampling I looked at yesterday, I was reminded why I stay here on RF.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Katzpur said:
I see justice as an entirely godly quality. When tempered with mercy, it becomes the perfect combination.
Condemning people to hell for His own mistakes is not my idea of justice OR mercy. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bishka

Veteran Member
retrorich said:
Condemning people to hell for His own mistakes is not my idea of justice OR mercy. :eek: :eek: :eek:

My God doesn't condemn people to quote on quote 'hell' you speak of. :D Pretty much no one goes to hell.