• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal damnation. Why?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
retrorich said:
I noticed it the other time you made it, also, but chose to ignore it. I probably should have done the same this time.:rolleyes:
Okay, roll your eyes. But, just for the sake of argument, just assume for a minute that there really is a God and that He really does have a Son, Jesus Christ. Considering all the billions of people who have ever lived, do you think there are any who, upon coming to the realization of these facts, are so stubborn and/or ignorant that they would deny them? Are there any from among those millions who have such an abhorance of God that they simply would not want to be anywhere near Him and that eternity apart from Him would strike them as a more appealing option?

If you want to just ignore all ideas that are different from your own, it's fine with me. But on the off chance that you would actually care to discuss the subject, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Katzpur said:
Okay, roll your eyes. But, just for the sake of argument, just assume for a minute that there really is a God and that He really does have a Son, Jesus Christ. Considering all the billions of people who have ever lived, do you think there are any who, upon coming to the realization of these facts, are so stubborn and/or ignorant that they would deny them? Are there any from among those millions who have such an abhorance of God that they simply would not want to be anywhere near Him and that eternity apart from Him would strike them as a more appealing option?

If you want to just ignore all ideas that are different from your own, it's fine with me. But on the off chance that you would actually care to discuss the subject, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
My answer to your question is "no."

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
beckysoup61 said:
How is it ridiculous?
Because anyone who believed in the existence of Heaven and Hell (I don't) would certainly prefer to go to Heaven.
If you really dont' want to go to Heaven, I don't think you'll go.
Bummer! I was...like...so...oh my god...really, really, really looking forward to meeting you there! :biglaugh:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Katzpur said:
Are you saying there should be no consequences for breaking God's laws? I personally am more comfortable worshipping a God I know will hold us responsible for our behavior than I would be worshipping one who simply turned a blind eye to our disobedience. I see justice as an entirely godly quality. When tempered with mercy, it becomes the perfect combination.

Ugh... :cover:

retrorich said:
If a product (human) turns out to be defective, blame the manufacturer (God), not the product.

I have heard this before.... o_O

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
retrorich said:
My answer to your question is "no."
Okay, well I believe there are probably a handful of such people, and those are the only ones I believe will actually be forbidden from entering Heaven. Since you don't believe there are any at all, you are essentially admitting that you would not be among that group. Hence, according to my belief, you will go to Heaven. I hope that's not too big a disappointment for you.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Katzpur said:
Sorry, to be so dense, but you'll have to clarify why "ugh."

Because you said:

Are you saying there should be no consequences for breaking God's laws? I personally am more comfortable worshipping a God I know will hold us responsible for our behavior than I would be worshipping one who simply turned a blind eye to our disobedience. I see justice as an entirely godly quality. When tempered with mercy, it becomes the perfect combination.

An infinite punishment for a finite set of crimes can hardly considered to be justice. If God can't responsibly enforce his own laws, that implies that something is wrong with either his enforcement of the laws or the laws themselves. And "tempered with mercy"--Hell does not strike me as a place that is tempered with mercy.

Hacker

Archaeopteryx said:
Some form of reprehension must be installed into a nascent religion to regulate those who would disregard the religion as anything more than myth; if there is to be unquestionable loyalty to the religion by its followers and their descendants, there must be an ambient fear encapsulating the choice to sway from its influence.

Basically, damnation is a concept that was installed into the original Christian theology for the purpose of gaining greater influence, a greater threshold of adherents.
WOW, never so stated so logically, EXACTLY how I feel!!!!:shout

verita

Shtef said:
A question for those who believe in hell and eternal damnation.

If God ever held the view that a soul did not deserve a place in heaven, why would 'he' need to go one step further and subject that soul to everlasting torment?

if you answer 'the need for justice' would not disposing of the soul and denying it communion with God in heaven be a lot simpler and serve the ends of justice? What part of God would require 'him' to subject a soul to perpetual suffering?
Eternal Damnation is like a Capital Punishment in our time. Every government has a fundamental law and in that law there are many prohibitions. If you disobey the law unintentionally you might be pardon or given a light punishment. If you intentionally break the law it's either you will receive life imprisonment or capital punishment which is DEATH. The reason why we break the law is because we don't know the law. Most of us don't care to read the books of law. Only Lawyers are reading it.

Now for us, who don't know the law but behave so we don't break any law of the land. However, it is different from God's Law. If you don't read the Law of God and you allow yourself follow a blind leader whom you think is of God, you will both fall into the ditch.
Mat
15:14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Luk
6:39 And He spoke a parable to them: Can the blind lead the blind? Shall they not both fall into the ditch?

These blind leaders are the Deceivers of people. They speak very soft and look likes very holy but actually they are serving their own belly. Most of them collect money for themselves...
Rom
16:18 For they who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches they deceive the hearts of the simple.
Col 2:4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

Their god is their own belly.
Phi
3:19 whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, those who mind earthly things.)

The deceivers are not literally blinds but they are spiritually blind because satan blinded them 'coz he is their god.
2Co 4:4 in whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving ones, so that the light of the glorious gospel of Christ (who is the image of God) should not dawn on them.

Look at the curse of God to the serpent...
Gen
3:14 And Jehovah God said to the serpent, Because you have done this you are cursed more than all cattle, and more than every animal of the field. You shall go upon your belly, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.

You know why satan shall eat DUST? Because Man is DUST!
Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the DUST of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

So the Eternal Punishment for Satan and his Deceiver is this...
Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the FALSE PROPHET are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Including these peoples...
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

And anyone not found in the book of life...
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

Gal 4:16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

I HOPE NOT!

God bless you all.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Eternal Damnation is like a Capital Punishment in our time.
Capital Punishment doesn't exist in most civilized countries. Plus, I'm of the opinion it is completely wrong. ;)

I wonder how many people actually fear they're going to burn outside of the religions that teach about hell? I have no fear about death (dying is another matter). I'll be at peace, no matter if it's in oblivion or in a heaven or even starting over with another life.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
verita said:
Eternal Damnation is like a Capital Punishment in our time. Every government have a fundamental law and in that law there are many prohibitions. If you disobey the law unintentionally you might be pardon or given a light punishment. If you intentionally break the law it's either you will receive life imprisonment or capital punishment which is DEATH. The reason why we break the law is because we don't know the law. Most of us don't care to read the books of law. Only Lawyers are reading it.

Capital Punishment is rejected in many countries now. Why? Because it's immoral.

verita

GeneCosta said:
I wonder how many people actually fear they're going to burn outside of the religions that teach about hell?
[FONT=&quot]YES[/FONT][FONT=&quot], I am very much scared because I KNOW the meaning of the BOOKS.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rev 20:12[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And I saw the dead, the small and the great, stand before God. And [/FONT][FONT=&quot]book[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot] were opened, and another [/FONT][FONT=&quot]book[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was opened[/FONT][FONT=&quot], which is the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Book[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of Life. And the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]books[/FONT][FONT=&quot], according to their works.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Those books are the compilation of books of the Prophets and the Apostles, and it is called
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]THE BIBLE[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
:sad:

verita

Elvendon said:
[/size]

Capital Punishment is rejected in many countries now. Why? Because it's immoral.

I know it is immoral. It is just my EXAMPLE why there is Eternal Punishment.