• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Escalation

idea

Question Everything
I'm not a mathematician so I could be in total error here, but if an object ricochets, does not that, under some circumstances, increase momentum?

Only in the movies (see coefficient of restitution)

Plus, how is the behavior of the projectile even predictable, in terms of upward angle. And to achieve a specific upward angle, if you are supposed to shoot the ground at a specific distance, and at a specific angle, how do you do this in a situation where people are probably changing locations at high speed

I agree, probably protects cops as they would not be able to actually target anyone by shooting at the ground.

idea

Question Everything
Ideally you don't, but apparently we can't expect soldiers and cops to not shoot unarmed protesters when given the opportunity.

I really wish there were better non-lethal tools out there for everyone to use.

amorphous_constellation

Momentum decreases because friction against the
surface ricocheted off of slowed the projectile down.

Ok, I'll take your word for it, I don't want to boil my brain.. Maybe I was thinking this because of something I read about skipping stones, or how spaceships use the moon as a boomerang.. I don't know, or maybe atlatls. Was probably misreading it, if I came away thinking this

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ok, I'll take your word for it, I don't want to boil my brain.. Maybe I was thinking this because of something I read about skipping stones, or how spaceships use the moon as a boomerang.. I don't know, or maybe atlatls. Was probably misreading it, if I came away thinking this
Don't take my word...I make mistakes all the time.
But consider that striking a surface, even a glancing
blow will consume energy & reduce speed.