• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erections during prayer (not for the faint of heart)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I suffer from something horrible. I get erections when I worship/pray god :facepalm:

As embarrassing as this is it is even more embarrassing considering the fact that I hate erections! I actually find it bothersome although I hear there is a "cure" for it I would rather die then commit the horrible act of autosexuality. Erections are the most disgusting things on earth next to James Franco. My "lower fellow" just has a bad habit of springing into action and going namaskar at the wrong time.

Now during the process of offering worship unto god my heart rate usually goes up and this results in the most abominable thing on earth. I find this to ruin my state of mind often and I just do not know how to deal with this.
Considering my lack of sexual yearning I always imagine god being the same way subconsciously.

Does anyone here view such a thing as a major deal during prayer? Especially with it being consistent. This predicament has seriously been driving me crazy.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It is written.....
Go to your closet and close the door.....and He who knows you in secret will hear you.

Not sure if that helps....but there you go.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
It is written.....
Go to your closet and close the door.....and He who knows you in secret will hear you.

Not sure if that helps....but there you go.

Closet? Why would I go in my closet? It is just filled with clothes and crummy old items

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The thought of pouring acid in my pants occurs along with self mutilation but that's about it

Hmm...that sounds painful, rather than deity-sexual.
Maybe God is sending you a sign? We should create a website called 'Proof of Miracles'. We could post video of you praying...

In fact, we could get people to subscribe. Different payment plans depending on what prayer you have to say, and what you're wearing whilst saying it.
I reckon we could clean UP.

And...erm...donate the money to a worthy cause, of course...

(...like me...ahem...)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Perhaps it might be a (not so) subtle sign to deal with your aversions. (Love your enemies...)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Hmm...that sounds painful, rather than deity-sexual.
Maybe God is sending you a sign? We should create a website called 'Proof of Miracles'. We could post video of you praying...

In fact, we could get people to subscribe. Different payment plans depending on what prayer you have to say, and what you're wearing whilst saying it.
I reckon we could clean UP.

And...erm...donate the money to a worthy cause, of course...

(...like me...ahem...)

I will wear a thawb and a Taqiyah and grow out my hi'yah/beard and look like a true man praying to god.
The thawb helps the love tent to display better also.

Also you are not worthy of receiving the money. Only needy poor people should get it........ like myself :p

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I would suggest that for some of those who engage in it, prayer may well trigger feelings of euphoria and as a result some of the underlying neuro-chemical characteristics of other behaviors that are hardwired to engender euphoria (and thus have strong neurological correlation) may be stimulated or else mirrored (i forget the correct technical term)... such as sexual pleasure.

Flankerl

But getting an erection is pretty much the complete opposite of being asexual.

I think your body knows better whats good for you than you yourself.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I suffer from something horrible. I get erections when I worship/pray god :facepalm:

As embarrassing as this is it is even more embarrassing considering the fact that I hate erections! I actually find it bothersome although I hear there is a "cure" for it I would rather die then commit the horrible act of autosexuality. Erections are the most disgusting things on earth next to James Franco. My "lower fellow" just has a bad habit of springing into action and going namaskar at the wrong time.

Now during the process of offering worship unto god my heart rate usually goes up and this results in the most abominable thing on earth. I find this to ruin my state of mind often and I just do not know how to deal with this.
Considering my lack of sexual yearning I always imagine god being the same way subconsciously.

Does anyone here view such a thing as a major deal during prayer? Especially with it being consistent. This predicament has seriously been driving me crazy.

My guess is it's the excitement of submission to a force larger and more powerful. I venture that it's why you enjoy spanking women because you see them as weaker and less powerful than you. And I see a connection between that fascination and consistent patterns of erections during prayer.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
My guess is it's the excitement of submission to a force larger and more powerful. I venture that it's why you enjoy spanking women because you see them as weaker and less powerful than you. And I see a connection between that fascination and consistent patterns of erections during prayer.

So I had it backwards. I should have asked SA what his reaction would be to God spanking HIM, not the other way around...

:shrug:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

Dear Sterling :D

I think that you are Deisexual - God turns you on :bow:

In all seriousness, what you have described is a common, if slightly weird, manifestation of prayer that is recognised in the Catholic tradition. Your experience is simply the body reacting to a spiritual experience. The body does not know how to respond to the spiritual and mental stimulus during this form of prayer. In other forms of prayer and mystical experience, the body becomes absolutely detached from sense-perception. This is a higher state of being when the spirit is so deeply enraptured with God that the body is not even affected. Your experience is a clear sign that you are still in that stage when your body is not yet prepared fully for mystical consciousness and cannot contain the joy in your soul, such that it floods into your senses and gives you sexual arousal.

It was described by St. Teresa of Avila, as noted in Fr. Dubay's book:

"...One of the more surprising and disturbing phenomena that may occur during communion with the Lord is sexual disturbance or arousal. It is "surprising and disturbing" not because the phenomenon is in itself a cause for concern but because most people would never expect that in so holy an occupation there could be sexual repercussions. While they seem not to be so common, they do occur. Lorenzo, Saint Teresa if Avila's married brother who had chosen his sister as spiritual director, had experienced these disturbances, and he asked for her guidance. Her response was typical in its accuracy and decisiveness:

I think the explanation of them must be that the soul's joy is so keen that it makes itself felt in the body...it will calm down if you take no notice of it. Several people have discussed this with me.

Since the human body is not a Cartesian soul dwelling within a body but a single body-soul composite, it is entirely normal than an intense spiritual experience may have bodily repercussions. Blushing from embarrassment and tears of joy or sorrow are other examples of this same basic reality, the profound oneness of the human person. Consequently, to experience sexual stirrings within a completely pure delight in God should be neither a surprise nor a source of worry..."

- Fr. Thomas Dubay, Fire Within

Last edited: