• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erections during prayer (not for the faint of heart)

Wirey

Fartist
Perhaps you should ponder why God made your arm exactly long enough to reach your wiener, and why he would do such a thing.

PS Getting wood during prayer is probably a sign of a mental condition. I seriously recommend seeing a doctor.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
But getting an erection is pretty much the complete opposite of being asexual.

I think your body knows better whats good for you than you yourself.

Well sorry to break your ignorance but being asexual does not mean I am defective. Asexuals do not have erectile dysfunctions :facepalm:. Asexual merely means "no sex" and it does not stem from erectile dysfunction or else there would be no difference.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Dear Sterling :D

I think that you are Deisexual - God turns you on :bow:

In all seriousness, what you have described is a common, if slightly weird, manifestation of prayer that is recognised in the Catholic tradition. Your experience is simply the body reacting to a spiritual experience. The body does not know how to respond to the spiritual and mental stimulus during this form of prayer. In other forms of prayer and mystical experience, the body becomes absolutely detached from sense-perception. This is a higher state of being when the spirit is so deeply enraptured with God that the body is not even affected. Your experience is a clear sign that you are still in that stage when your body is not yet prepared fully for mystical consciousness and cannot contain the joy in your soul, such that it floods into your senses and gives you sexual arousal.

It was described by St. Teresa of Avila, as noted in Fr. Dubay's book:

:thud:
Deisexual? Well it does give reason to my fervent heart rates and obvious arousal during prayer. I just wish I was not well endowed so this issue would not be nearly as noticeable and frustrating.

But if somebody get aroused by the thought of god does that not make them a perverted creepy? Or is my definition of pervert somewhat misunderstood?

I am a Deisexual Deist :facepalm:. Oh why hath I been cursed with this plight.

Renji

Atleast I now know that I'm not alone. I also experienced the same thing as a teen actually. I don't know the difference about Catholic Theology and the religion/path that you follow, but all I can say is that, in anything that you do, you need to focus on it... In this case, focus on prayer. If it causes you erection, then bombard yourself with prayer... not to have more erections, but to make your mind more into it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Atleast I now know that I'm not alone. I also experienced the same thing as a teen actually. I don't know the difference about Catholic Theology and the religion/path that you follow, but all I can say is that, in anything that you do, you need to focus on it... In this case, focus on prayer. If it causes you erection, then bombard yourself with prayer... not to have more erections, but to make your mind more into it.

Tthe conditioning that this will generate is priceless :D

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
So it pums blood to a special place for help? :D

Well, that's not quite how the mystics would put it....:D The sexual experiences are not helpful, they are not of concern either though. A person is just not to be concerned or attached to them in any way if they arise. They are thought to be perfectly natural, accidental phenomena as a result of the connection between spirit (consciousness) and body. The whole person is involved in a deep, prayerful state - mind, body soul. As a result things can happen on the sense level, strange things, such as surges of heat, or tingling sensations, or lights before the eyes and other illusions. Sexual stimulation is another possible effect.

Ruysbroeck explains:

"...In this intimate union, spiritual perception - that thrice hallowed possession - becomes his (the man's), and plunging into God he is intoxicated by participation in the bliss of essential life. And this participation invokes within the very source and centre of his human powers a plenitude of sensible love that in its penetrating potency flows into the physical life, to the very members of his body..."

- Blessed Jan van Ruysbroeck (1294 – 1381), Flemish mystic

In Sterling's case the "member" of his body in question, is his little fella down there ;)

It stands to attention when he has a spiritual experience. Hopefully, by continuing with his prayers and by ignoring it, he will stop having boners. If not, then I maintain that he is Deisexual ;)

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well, that's not quite how the mystics would put it....:D The sexual experiences are not helpful, they are not of concern either though. A person is just not to be concerned or attached to them in any way if they arise. They are thought to be perfectly natural, accidental phenomena as a result of the connection between spirit (consciousness) and body. The whole person is involved in a deep, prayerful state - mind, body soul. As a result things can happen on the sense level, strange things, such as surges of heat, or tingling sensations, or lights before the eyes and other illusions. Sexual stimulation is another possible effect.

Ruysbroeck explains:

In Sterling's case the "member" of his body in question, is his little man down there ;)

Why is it the article given sounds like a mystical metaphor for having coitus with a deity of some kind :areyoucra.

I shall have you know that my member only gives salutations during prayer and upon the sight of Ben Kingsley.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it the article given sounds like a mystical metaphor for having coitus with a deity of some kind :areyoucra.

I shall have you know that my member only gives salutations during prayer and upon the sight of Ben Kingsley.

I can assure you that no mystic has ever had sex with a deity, since the God they pray to is formless and beyond any images. Ruysbroeck is particularly emphatic upon this point. The quote above is simply Ruysbroeck's description of how the senses can become stimulated by a spiritual experience during prayer or a contemplative state :D