• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epicureanism: a minimalist philosophy for a good life

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
It seems like Epicurus isn't very discussed here, so I figured I'd open a thread where we can discuss him freely, and however we see fit.

I don't consider myself Epicurean, for the same reason I don't consider myself Buddhist, but I really like Epicurus's philosophy.

It seems like Epicurean philosophy is minimalist in a good way that sets about to remove the ills that trouble the mind.

One of the main aspects of Epicurean philosophy is the 'four remedies' (Tetra Pharmachia): the remedy of fear of death is embracing it as cessation, etc.

Feel free to say anything you'd like about Epicurus. That's why I made the thread. I thought he needed one.

Rainbow Mage

The main goal of Epicureanism is maintaining the state of Ataraxia: the calm, lucid state of bliss/pleasure that the mind absorbs itself in when all obstacles to happiness have been removed. I thought I should mention that.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It sounds like a good philosophy much like Buddhism from what I can tell. It appears to have a materialist bent so it wouldn't be fully satisfying to me personally as I am interested in metaphysical questions too.

Rainbow Mage

It is a good philosophy, although Epicurus was a bit stoic for my tastes. lol :blush:

Its funny, the Stoics often did try to claim Epicurus as one of their own, but the two schools began distinct from one another. Those who considered themselves Epicureans considered themselves at odds with Stoics on many matters. Mostly that the Stoics believed the nature of being animal is something unideal to be escaped from.

Rainbow Mage

It sounds like a good philosophy much like Buddhism from what I can tell. It appears to have a materialist bent so it wouldn't be fully satisfying to me personally as I am interested in metaphysical questions too.

I find it both similar and different to Buddhism. Epicureanism treats happiness or bliss as an end, while Buddhism treats nirvana as the end, and happiness and bliss as by-products of this. Semantics, but it probably is a difference.

Rainbow Mage

On the Epicureans and Stoics, it should be noted though that they did have many similarities. They both viewed death as something not to be feared, and believed in the 'good life'. They had different means of pursuing the subjects.