• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End Cash Bail: #FreeThemAll

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Elsewhere in this forum one can find some whining about modest donations made by a handful of Biden staffers to one of a growing number of organizations opposing the U.S. cash bail system - a system that serves primarily to incarcerate the poor despite the presumption of innocence.

Ending the cash bail system is a critically important plank in any criminal justice reform platform.

#FreeThemAll

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I caution against accusing others of "whining".
That's a very abusive thing to say.
And they could easily accuse you of the same.
We don't want that.
People should be free to opine about the issues of the day without being insulted for having an opinion.

I too think the bail system is wrong.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Elsewhere in this forum one can find some whining about modest donations made by a handful of Biden staffers to one of a growing number of organizations opposing the U.S. cash bail system - a system that serves primarily to incarcerate the poor despite the presumption of innocence.

I'm rather convinced that most of the people that are convicted of crimes are idiots... I've managed to go through my life without talking **** to a policeman, getting thrown in a cop car, or doing anything else that would result in that being a problem for me. I've put zero effort at achieving that result, so I don't think it's that hard.

Bail is often used to ensure that the defendant actually appears in court. No bail = no show in many cases. How does your position address that obvious flaw? (If they do show usually the bail is returned... etc...)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm rather convinced that most of the people that are convicted of crimes are idiots... I've managed to go through my life without talking **** to a policeman, getting thrown in a cop car, or doing anything else that would result in that being a problem for me. I've put zero effort at achieving that result, so I don't think it's that hard.

May I ask what race/ethnicity you are?

Bail is often used to ensure that the defendant actually appears in court. No bail = no show in many cases. How does your position address that obvious flaw? (If they do show usually the bail is returned... etc...)

You didn't actually read the links provided.

"One common misperception is that ending cash bail and reforming the pretrial system could endanger the public even more than the status quo. However, studies of New Jersey and Washington, D.C., demonstrate that defendants’ rates of appearance for trial after reforms were implemented are similar or better to rates of appearance before the reforms. Similarly, the rates of rearrest for people who were released pretrial are comparable to those before the reforms were instituted."

What You Need To Know About Ending Cash Bail - Center for American Progress

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They would have a warrant issued regardless. Bail just lets them outsource the apprehension of the defendant to a bail bond company.