• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Empathy fail.

Truth in love

In the pat week I’ve encountered a disturbing trend. A pretty strong lack of common empathy.
In several cases people dismiss the experience and suffering of others as fiction or deserved. In one case the open advocating for anyone not conforming by to their views to be shot.

so a few questions

1 have you seen this trend in society.

2. Do your beliefs or non beliefs allow for or endorse the dismissing peope due to a difference, can other humans be non persons?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In the pat week I’ve encountered a disturbing trend. A pretty strong lack of common empathy.
In several cases people dismiss the experience and suffering of others as fiction or deserved. In one case the open advocating for anyone not conforming by to their views to be shot.

so a few questions

2. Do your beliefs or non beliefs allow for or endorse the dismissing peope due to a difference, can other humans be non persons?

1. Yup. I feel people kind of imagine these 'villain' folks out there... like those that disagree with them are actually bad at heart, rather than acknowledging they're a culmination of their culture and life experiences.

2. No, not really. There are some conversations I won't take part in because they tear at me too much, and on some rare occasions there is a person I simply can't stomach and avoid to the best of my ability, but that doesn't mean that the conversations aren't valuable, nor does my dislike of someone take away their humanity.

F1fan

Veteran Member
1. I have seen the trend growing since the Tea Party movement in the early 2000's. The lack of empathy, it's all about me, I need to get what I can when I can to beat the next guy, you're in my way, I'm going to threaten you, I want what I want and when I want it, etc. A serious lack of social ethics.

This is just a portion of citizens, as the vast majority seem to acknowledge the value of social contract.

2. No. I assess people on how they behave and what they say. The more selfish and insensitive they are the less respect they earn.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Yes especially on the right with lack of empathy toward pregnant women, non-binary children, immigrants, the poor etc. But the left can be that way especially with schadenfreude.

Absolutely not. If I think I'm better than someone else, it's a sign of selfishness/self-importance. I'm very far from the idea but my goal is to love those who I cannot love, understand the plight of those who I am angry with because of the pain and suffering their actions cause.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

so a few questions

1. Yes, this is a trend and I hope it ends soon.
2. As long as they are nice, I will be friends with pretty much anyone, no matter what other quality they have.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever had a stranger, someone you are barely acquainted with, hint that they need you to make an extreme personal sacrifice to help them with a personal tragedy? I find my empathy fails. It happens like this: like a bout with confusion. Uncertainty overwhelms and I want to run away from the thinking. The thought becomes heavy.

No, not particularly. I think its typical but not a trend.

People are more comfortable aiding people that are like themselves, such as people from their own town, country, city, family, baseball team, agegroup etc. It makes it easier to open the hand. It could be that generosity is more difficult to mentally consider sometimes than other times -- I mean harder to think about, harder to imagine.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

so a few questions

I think non empathy is a trait of psychopaths. I have no feelings for those whom have no empathy.

For most of us it's not knowing a person, a stranger, that makes people leery of one another that may be confused with non empathy but is really a form of indifference which may or may not be a good thing depending on how you view it.

74x12

so a few questions

Yes, the divisionary tactics being used against the people on purpose to make us angry and hate each other are having their effect. It's all done to provoke.

Brian2

Veteran Member

so a few questions

It is a way of dehumanising people. Some people might do it because of lack of love and others might do it because they cannot do anything to help and want to justify that somehow.
I used to hear people say that the starving people in other parts of the world are that way because they are lazy.
Maybe all those people with a lack of empathy should be taken out and shot.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I feel people kind of imagine these 'villain' folks out there... like those that disagree with them are actually bad at heart, rather than acknowledging they're a culmination of their culture and life experiences.

Very well said.

I assess people on how they behave and what they say. The more selfish and insensitive they are the less respect they earn.

I like this approach.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

so a few questions

Well, here is a simple example. You are X for which X denotes a negative property about you. But if you don't take care with dealing with other humans it is the case that they are not a negative. The negative is a feeling in you, you claim are in them.
But for your #2 a least some people don't understand that, so they have no problem with other humans being a non person, because to them it is fact, that the other human is a non person.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
1 have you seen this trend in society

Yes. Particularly in far right America and to a lesser extent in Britain too. Intolerance of views that do not agree is becoming the norm.

Personally i believe all people are unique in their views and beliefs. I may not agree with some of them, i may argue with some of them but in the end they are welcome to their own views and beliefs

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes. Particularly in far right America and to a lesser extent in Britain too. Intolerance of views that do not agree is becoming the norm.

Personally i believe all people are unique in their views and beliefs. I may not agree with some of them, i may argue with some of them but in the end they are welcome to their own views and beliefs

"Intolerance of views that do not agree is becoming the norm"

When hasn't this been the norm?