• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

egyptian symbolism has perfectly legitimate Christian parallels

Humanistheart

You know, I think I'm going to let clear and the two of you fight this one out. He is entirely capable of supporting his own position, and there are other threads of greater interest to me. Have fun, y'all.

You said that on the last thread too, but you kept comming back. And If clear could support his opinions he's provide evidence for them something he has yet to do, so I'd say it's rather dishonest of you to claim he can support his own position.

Last edited:

Humanistheart

What he said was that the egyptologists you were citing as "experts" could not translate the characters. Egyptology was in its infancy in 1829. .

I quoted eyptologists from the last 100 years, from the beggining of assesment to modern times, not just 1829. If he was just addressing the early scholars then he was avoiding evidence, as is typical of his style.

While Anthon would almost certainly have been able to decipher some basic hieroglyphics (those being present in the books he had at the time), his understanding of the written Eqyptian language would have been limited at best. The same would have been true of pretty much any Egyptologist in the world at that time..

Anthon wasn't stated as an expert of egyptology, nor did he himself claim to be. The scrap he was shown, in his own words, were a combination of hebrew, greek, roman, etc. He didn't need to know egyptian to know it was a fraud. Thus bringing up anthon in relation to this is a false analogy as we were discussing egyptologists.

I think this statement says it all. You just don't like clear..

You have that a little backwards. He continually puts words in my mouth and claims to know my emotions, not the other way around. Although given your reaction when I made a psuedo-quote in your name to prove a point on another thread, I think you would agree that it would be understandable if I did not like someone who does that to me, reapetedly cherry picking my posts and attributing false emotions to me rather than use actual evidence, most likely in an attempt to goad an empotional responce.

Last edited:

Callida

Well, actually commenting on the original topic of this thread...

To say that Egyptian religious rites and symbols have parallels in Christianity (and that is a valid statement - Osiris was being worshipped long before the Jews were enslaved by Egyptians) is perfectly legitimate, especially considering the statement I have in brackets. The Jews, who are essentially predecessors of Christians, spent a great deal of time (I don't remember how much and I don't have a Bible handy) in Egypt, so it's pretty safe to assume that the Jews would have picked up some Egyptian customs and rites and incorporated them into their own lives and beliefs. This also happened when the Romans created Catholicism. Most Romans worshipped the Roman pantheon (which had adopted Gods from the Greeks and Egyptians, to name a couple cultures), but Christianity was on the rise, becoming popular very quickly. The only problem with Christians is that they only believe in one God, and won't accept other gods, and while there were no laws prohibiting worship of any god, Roman law did not accept the persecution of other religions by any one religion. Christians were quickly becoming a problem.

So, to solve that problem, the Roman Emperor Constantine and his council created the Holy Roman Empire, a Christian state. Polytheism was abolished. However, to make the general populace comfortable with the idea of Christianity, all of the major pagan holidays were incorporated into Christianity and given Christian names, ie. Winter Solstice = Christmas.

So, you can see how parallelism between different cultures and religions is very common and often logical.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious

To say that Egyptian religious rites and symbols have parallels in Christianity (and that is a valid statement - Osiris was being worshipped long before the Jews were enslaved by Egyptians) is perfectly legitimate, especially considering the statement I have in brackets. The Jews, who are essentially predecessors of Christians, spent a great deal of time (I don't remember how much and I don't have a Bible handy) in Egypt, so it's pretty safe to assume that the Jews would have picked up some Egyptian customs and rites and incorporated them into their own lives and beliefs. This also happened when the Romans created Catholicism. Most Romans worshipped the Roman pantheon (which had adopted Gods from the Greeks and Egyptians, to name a couple cultures), but Christianity was on the rise, becoming popular very quickly. The only problem with Christians is that they only believe in one God, and won't accept other gods, and while there were no laws prohibiting worship of any god, Roman law did not accept the persecution of other religions by any one religion. Christians were quickly becoming a problem.

So, to solve that problem, the Roman Emperor Constantine and his council created the Holy Roman Empire, a Christian state. Polytheism was abolished. However, to make the general populace comfortable with the idea of Christianity, all of the major pagan holidays were incorporated into Christianity and given Christian names, ie. Winter Solstice = Christmas.

So, you can see how parallelism between different cultures and religions is very common and often logical.

This begs the question: Does parallelism detract from the validity of the beliefs?

Callida

Some might say that, yes, parallelism detracts from the validity of the beliefs.

Others, however, might use parallelism as proof that there is a god, that all of the religious do in fact worship the same god. Take dragons, for example. Almost every culture has some sort of dragon legend, including some cultures separated by large bodies of water that it took centuries for other cultures to cross. Are dragons legendary creatures, or did they actually, in fact, exist? 0o

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Some might say that, yes, parallelism detracts from the validity of the beliefs.

Others, however, might use parallelism as proof that there is a god, that all of the religious do in fact worship the same god. Take dragons, for example. Almost every culture has some sort of dragon legend, including some cultures separated by large bodies of water that it took centuries for other cultures to cross. Are dragons legendary creatures, or did they actually, in fact, exist? 0o

They do exist. Komodo dragons.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I think you're right EtuMalku.
Plus, I think the Clear is quite ignorant of the Egyptian religion. Is is not Monotheist, it is Polytheist hence the many different gods. There where some Pharaohs that tried to make it a Monotheist nation, but that didn't stop people from worshiping the other gods. See Polytheist, not Monotheist.
Actually the Egyptian religion is termed Pantheistic, the acknowledgment of many Gods & Goddesses while maintaining they all came from One God - Amon

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس

Monotheism was born during Pharaoh Akhenaten's reign and his worship of the Sun God Aten. This Pharaoh along with his religion was very unfavorable and immediately upon his death the older religion was set back into place.

This I clearly see as the model from which the Judaic beliefs were based upon.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Actually the Egyptian religion is termed Pantheistic, the acknowledgment of many Gods & Goddesses while maintaining they all came from One God - Amon
Yeah I know. I use the term Polytheist to mean "the Belief in many gods" which it still is. ^_^

Humanistheart

The parallelism may add to certian religions, like the bahai, or maybe thepanthistic religions like hinduism, but it clearly detracts from the abrhamic faiths.

And giant lizzards that could be called dragons did exist. We have their remains dug up to prove it. And as one person pointed out, a species of dragons still exist today. Also, the differences between common depictions of say, chinese dragons and european dragons are so great that if they had existed they could not be the same species of dragon anyway.