• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egyptian God/Goddess question

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I have seen the following statue...
SS-6425-2.jpg
...for sale on eBay. It is sometimes marketed as Isis and sometimes as Thoth. This statue is of an ibis. As I understand it, Isis was represented by the falcon. While Thoth had an ibis head, when He assumed full animal form, it was that of a baboon instead. Does this statue, in full ibis form, actually represent Isis, Thoth, or any other Ancient Egyptian Deity? :confused:

xkatz

After doing some research, it appears that Ibis's represent Thoth, though Ibis's themselves were seen as sacred in ancient Egyptian mythos.

thot_hname1.gif
is one of the the hieroglyphs for Thot(h) , it seems like it is kind of a baboon by day and Ibis by night deal.

gnostic

The Lost One
I have never heard of the ibis being a symbol of Isis.

The most common symbol of Isis is that of a cow, but yes, she did appear as a kite, which is a small hawk or falcon of some sorts. She was mainly represented as a kite, when she and her sister Nephyths went searching for Osiris' body. In some imagery, she was having sex with the dead Osiris, to conceive Horus.