• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Witten

atanu

Premium Member
This thread is connected to the subject of An underlying mental world out there and Quantum Cosmology and the nature of Consciousness

Ed Witten opines that the how of consciousness will be achievable and knowable, while the whys will remain out of our grasp". He says "Perhaps it won’t remain a mystery if there is a modification in the laws of physics as they apply to the brain. I think that’s very unlikely. I am skeptical that it’s going to be a part of physics.”

Reaching Singularity: Physicist Asserts We Will Never Truly Understand Consciousness

The point about consciousness begins at 1:10:25 in the video included in the article. I am providing a link of the extracted video below.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
Ed Witten opines that the how of consciousness will be achievable and knowable, while the whys will remain out of our grasp". He says "Perhaps it won’t remain a mystery if there is a modification in the laws of physics as they apply to the brain. I think that’s very unlikely. I am skeptical that it’s going to be a part of physics.”

Reaching Singularity: Physicist Asserts We Will Never Truly Understand Consciousness

The point about consciousness begins at 1:10:25 in the video included in the article. I am providing a link of the extracted video below.
He is most correct. Really the question arrises from a dysfunctional understanding of oneself and nature. It seems like a valid question but it's not, it's circular. It's because it's consciousness asking what is consciousness. Well the only way to answer it is to be independent from it but we aren't. It's turning oneself into an object independent from itself so the question is more of a fractured interpersonal reality than actual reality it's just functioning insanity.

The question what is consciousness is a symtom of, not a question about. In that regard some metaphysics deal with that personal issue. Much what is believed to be metaphysics is highly toxic nonsense in regards to the issue as well and it manifests the fractured self as well. Not unlike the psychologist is more insane than the patient.

Last edited: